JW Young Purist 2 handle problem.

John Keane

Reaction score
Using my “new” secondhand Purist 2 for the first time on the Dee on Wednesday, I noticed that one of the handles wasn’t turning on its spindle. Closer examination, at home, revealed that the difference between the handle being jammed and free to rotate was around 1/2 an anti-clockwise turn of the screwdriver!

Obviously a bit of Loctite would do the trick but I’m not happy with the difference between a jammed handle and it falling into the river is 1/2 a turn of the screw.

I rang Garry Mills and he said that there is only a thread engagement of 3mm on the reel. This seems to be bad engineering by JW Young (now Masterline). I’m going to enquire if Garry has any alternative screws to do the job but he’s closed for the weekend.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Self edited.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Problem fixed by Garry Mills. The bell-end who had the reel before me had reversed the handles so that the taper sloped inwards. By doing this he f**ked up the engineering of the handles. Garry fixed it and it only cost around a fiver or so inc. postage.

I now know that he makes all of the J W Young reels that are currently on the market, as well as his own custom centrepins.

Great bloke to chat to!