Stradic Ci4+ slack handle

wetthrough

Reaction score
The issue of the reel handle falling of it's own accord on single handle reels is common to most reels I've had. The Ci4+ didn't when I first got it and for quite some time but I suspected it was only a matter of time once the packed grease migrated away from the gears. It did of course but I've found a very simple solution which might work with some other reels that have the 'cap' on the opposite side to the reel. I punched out 3 (two are stuck together in the photo) 7mm disks of 1.5mm silicone rubber (could do with being 8mm, that's the diameter of the recess) put them in the recess, replaced the cap and no more floppy handle. It's just enough to stop it falling back without making it stiff.

stradic_ci4_packing.jpg

Don't know how long it will last but it's easy enough to redo. A better more long term solution might be a tiny spring and a piece of Teflon.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can only hope you mean dropping down under its own weight rather than actually falling off. Yes, this is par for the course with most smooth single handled reels. It's exactly the reason why double and counterbalanced handles exist. For me, In any situation where handle drop became a significant issue, I'd sooner use a more appropriate reel than resort to making a single handled reel a bit stiffer to operate.

I also suspect that my own Stradic Ci4+ RA was a little less likely to drop back when it was brand new. However, it's easy enough to just leave a single handle in a position that it won't drop. Avoid anywhere between one and four o'clock and you are usually ok. 12 and 5 should make absolutely sure it won't drop back. It's much more likely that the dropping back that happens in an angling situation rather than dropping forward. As I generally use the anti-reverse, I very rarely notice it happening at all. Whatever works for you though.

It's a reel that I bought on a whim and I've been rather pleased with. If it they hybridized it with the Twinpower Ci4, by adding the seemingly excessive front drag mechanism, it would be my idea of perfect. Chuck in a double handle (or counterbalanced handle) for those that struggle with handle drop and don't use anti-reverse, and I can't see that anyone could find much to complain about, except the price!

wetthrough

Reaction score
I can only hope you mean dropping down under its own weight rather than actually falling off. Yes, this is par for the course with most smooth single handled reels. It's exactly the reason why double and counterbalanced handles exist. For me, In any situation where handle drop became a significant issue, I'd sooner use a more appropriate reel than resort to making a single handled reel a bit stiffer to operate.

Yes, under its own weight. I like the reel and am not keen on double handles which doesn't really leave me with many options. Horses for courses. I have no problem modifying something to make it do what I want. Just ordered some Teflon to see if I can make a better job of it.