LIGHTWEIGHT brolly

John Keane

Reaction score
Anyone got any recommendations? My current brolly is the Korum 50” Fibreglass and, at 6.5lbs is hardly a lightweight and I’m looking for a lighter one that rolls up tighter.

Current considerations are the Frenzee Matchpro 45” at a shade over 4lbs and I’ve seen one on a selling site called called Waterline Fibre-Lite2 in “heron grey” which I’m going to look at on Saturday and I’ll be taking my scales with me.

Someone mentioned, in another thread, the Daiwa Mission as being light.

Anyone got any other recommendations in the search for the Holy Grail of Light Brollies?

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry John I cannot help. Nor can I equate a light brolly with strong wind and rain! The strength of a brolly is gained by weight and a brolly which fails in windy conditions is useless.

I have a Preston flat back but light it isn't! Waterproof, strong, useful and windproof it certainly is! I dôubt you'll better the one you already have.

John Keane

Reaction score
Sorry John I cannot help. Nor can I equate a light brolly with strong wind and rain! The strength of a brolly is gained by weight and a brolly which fails in windy conditions is useless.

I have a Preston flat back but light it isn't! Waterproof, strong, useful and windproof it certainly is! I dôubt you'll better the one you already have.

At my time of life, with the vast pampas of retirement stretching in front of me, I won’t go fishing in strong wind and rain! There must be a compromise between weight and useability and I intend to find it!

nottskev

Reaction score
I've had this Waterline Fibrelite model for about 12 years now. I only use it occasionally, as I have similar views on strong wind and rain, but it's well made and far and away the best I've owned. It weighs 2 kilos and a bit on my slightly dodgy scales. I replaced the original spike with one of those solid, screw-in poles with a T bar (not inc. in that weight). It lives in the boot for times when I get caught out.

John Keane

Reaction score
I've had this Waterline Fibrelite model for about 12 years now. I only use it occasionally, as I have similar views on strong wind and rain, but it's well made and far and away the best I've owned. It weighs 2 kilos and a bit on my slightly dodgy scales. I replaced the original spike with one of those solid, screw-in poles with a T bar (not inc. in that weight). It lives in the boot for times when I get caught out.

That looks like the one I’m going to look at, Kev. Is it a flat back brolly? That 2kg weight sounds promising as 4lbs is round about what I’m hoping to get. The original label is still on the Waterline I’m seeing and it was £69.99 way back when.

nottskev

Reaction score
That looks like the one I’m going to look at, Kev. Is it a flat back brolly? That 2kg weight sounds promising as 4lbs is round about what I’m hoping to get. The original label is still on the Waterline I’m seeing and it was £69.99 way back when.

That figure rings a bell. I remember thinking it was pricey. I bought it from Wendy Locker's tackle shop in Chester, so mine must be at least 15 years old, now I think. It's not a flat back, just a tilt.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Check the Korum website for their new shelter - appears to be more stable and useful than a brolly.

John Keane

Reaction score
Check the Korum website for their new shelter - appears to be more stable and useful than a brolly.

I only go coarse fishing, in the main, to one or two venues and usually only do up to around 6 hours. I think a shelter would be counter-productive as it’s bound to be heavier than a brolly, but thanks for the input.

John Keane

Reaction score
It’s all a question of mentality, I suppose. I don’t want to set up a shelter/camp from the off, as a default, I just want to be able to get a brolly up in seconds if the wet stuff starts. The Holy Grail for me is 2kg and if I can get that, then so much the better.

waldi

Reaction score
i just got the Korum 50 inch graphite.
Take the (heavy Duty) screw pegs out the bag and it comes in at 2.4kg.

Fits in the brolly pocket of a Drennan 2 rod quiver and can still jam in a couple of bank sticks and a landing net handle.

Jon

mikench

Reaction score
The pegs and say, a Gardner spike can add considerably to the weight of a brolly and should not be underestimated. You can dispense with pegs if you only erect it vertically ie it's just a brolly .

John Keane

Reaction score
The pegs and say, a Gardner spike can add considerably to the weight of a brolly and should not be underestimated. You can dispense with pegs if you only erect it vertically ie it's just a brolly .

Pegs can go into tackle box, bucket, etc on trolley. It’s the bare weight of the brolly in the rod quiver that counts.

John Keane

Reaction score
Got one, Frenzee Matchpro 45”, weighs in at 4lb 3oz and rolls up nice and tight, leaving plenty of space in the Korum 3 rod quiver for pole and a couple of top kits in tubes.

rich66

Reaction score

rich66

Reaction score
The weight is good but putting it up and taking it down are going to be more hassle than a brolly. I don’t like to fish camped out so only need a shelter if the rain starts.

I completely understand the camped out bit, that’s why I’ve held off buying one.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 50inch leeda brolly, camo, which I like, as far as rollies go it seems light'ish.
I've used that brolly for about 12yrs now, infact only yesterday in some real heaavy downpours, and it's been great.
I would never blow money on a brolly as they're just too easily damaged. Personally i'd prefer a decent cheap one that can be replaced more often.