rigs explained and recommended

stevo520

Reaction score
Totally new to fishing. I have decided to get a 10m pole. I have bought all the equipment needed except the rigs. It seems important to chose the right rig but I'm struggling to narrow it down to what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

ian g

Reaction score
Steve, the type of rigs you need depends very much on where you are fishing and what you hope/expect to catch. Could you provide a bit more detail please.

stevo520

Reaction score
Hi Ian, I'm only going to my local pond which is stocked with F1’s and Ide, with Tench, Crucian Carp and Chub.

ian g

Reaction score
Steve

I don't really use ready made rigs but I'd say you don't need to go to light , main line around 4 or 5 lb and 3 to 4 lb hook links . Floats between 0.5 g and 1.0 g , hooks between 14 to 18 probably worth pre tied hooks to start with. Drennan and Kamasan do decent ones . A loop tyer is worth getting . I would also say to start fishing with bait on the bottom and then see if the fish are feeding higher in the water , you will get bites before the float settles if they are . There are plenty of people on here who can offer advise.
Preston Innovations Loop Tyer & Disgorger - Buy Online
Top 5 pole rigs that you need to try! — Angling Times

ian g

Reaction score
Steve

I don't really use ready made rigs but I'd say you don't need to go to light , main line around 4 or 5 lb and 3 to 4 lb hook links . Floats between 0.5 g and 1.0 g , hooks between 14 to 18 probably worth pre tied hooks to start with. Drennan and Kamasan do decent ones . A loop tyer is worth getting . I would also say to start fishing with bait on the bottom and then see if the fish are feeding higher in the water , you will get bites before the float settles if they are . There are plenty of people on here who can offer advise.
Preston Innovations Loop Tyer & Disgorger - Buy Online
Top 5 pole rigs that you need to try! — Angling Times

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Totally new to fishing. I have decided to get a 10m pole. I have bought all the equipment needed except the rigs. It seems important to chose the right rig but I'm struggling to narrow it down to what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

I’m curious to know that as a total newcomer you’ve opted to start your adventure with a pole as opposed to a rod and reel, any specific reason?

Good luck and enjoy.

stevo520

Reaction score
my local pond had an open day for kids so I took my son along and they showed him how to pole fish. But I'm hoping to try rod and reel in the future

davebike

Reaction score
Line I go with 0.16 with a ).14 hook length as you a novice I look for a heaver float say 0.75g general rule is 0.1g per foot depth to start but I use 0.3 for up to 6'
Hook size is more on what bait your using but a 16 I go with a strong on B911 or similar that will work maggot or corn
Elastic I like Hydro and would use white but a solid around 8 or 10 is OK in summer

Best of luck I love the pole !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When starting out then ready made rigs are perfectly okay providing you check the knots and the sharpness of the hook and think carefully about the shot positionsm and any decent tackle shop ought to be able to guide you on what to get for your venue.

Here on FM there are some very good guides on pole fishing so spend a little time searching the archives here.

Good luck and let us know how you get on . . . . .

stevo520

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. As I said I'm totally new to this so please don't feel you are pointing out the obvious, chances are your advice will be new and useful to me.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Another thing you haven't mentioned, Steve, is what strength elastic is/are your pole top kit/s fitted with? Has it been pre-fitted with elastic or are you doing it yourself?

The strength of elastic determines the strength of line on your rig, light elastics of 3-6 and you could use 3 or 4lbs rig line, but if they're fitted with 8-10s elastic, you might want a stronger rig line or change the elastic depending on what you will be catching.

Also, when buying ready-made rigs choose floats with a body of rugby-ball shape or elongated rugby-ball shape. Floats that are 'shoulder up', that is the fattest end of the body at the top, are meant for river fishing. I.E. Something like this...
pole rig.jpg

stevo520

Reaction score
Bit of an update as I've had to take a step back. My pole 'daiwa yank n bank 10m' arrived yesterday and being an idiot I didn't realise it didn't come with any elastic. So I've ordered daiwa red 16 - 20 as my local tackle shop advised there are some decent sized carp in my local pond. (not sure if I should attach it to the 3mm match kit or the 4mm power kit). I will put the black elastic on one of the other kits. I've also ordered a roller pulla side kit.