Live Crab Works Over Frozen Squid "Ika"!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
Cannot Beat Live Bait! But No Table Fare For Tonight:(

I decided to use my Spydro Underwater Camera today. Water clarity was very poor due to the extreme full moon tides stirring-up the bottom. So on my Cedros 11' Surf Rod w/Surf 8K spinner i mounted my Spydro Camera using frozen squid "Ika" as a starting point before i went scrounging for live bait.

My live bait rig consisted of my HCS 9'6" Shoreline Plugger rod w/a Rockaway 6K spinner. It was an extreme minus tide so collecting live rock crabs was fairly easy though the soft mud was like quick sand. This area only allowed for 2 rods per person so i stuck to live crabs as my preferred bait. Within minutes i got a baby Hammerhead Shark which i released. Latter in the day got a Burrfish "Porcupine Fish". Ok, the ika wasn'r working so i swapped that frozen bait out for a live crab. Bingo, another baby Hammerhead. This shows that live bait will always do better then frozen dead baits. Figures i got that last Hammerhead after the Spydro unit ran out of power. Next time i'll start with the Spydro rig first using live bait.

Though i released everything i failed in producing sought after edible fare to give away. Considering the murky conditions, extreme tides & the storm that rolled in soaking me to the bone & causing island flooding alerts it was nice just to get a bit darker again.

YouTube