Silstar rods

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Anything know anything about them or if they were and good in there day ?

Was recently given a silstar mx 3535-255 match picker it's got a red quiver style tip, carbon composite,

Wondering if it's worth giving it a go ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
They are a 7' canal wand, should show up shy bites Carbon composite material, I think with a duplon handle, possibly a silstar exciter, worth about £20 -25 depending on tip size it may be ok for short range 16metre to 20 metre F1 fishing.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
They are a 7' canal wand, should show up shy bites Carbon composite material, I think with a duplon handle, possibly a silstar exciter, worth about £20 -25 depending on tip size it may be ok for short range 16metre to 20 metre F1 fishing.
Would be fine for silvers on the canal then if I fancy something different,

Ive got a few other old rods I think, have to dig them out and try figure out what they are, I remember 1 of them looked like cork and wood was that ever a thing ? , if I still have it.

flightliner

Reaction score
Silstar were, If I remember, advocated by Ian Heaps .
They made a very sought after quivertip back in the day that was used extensively by many Trent and Severn anglers.
They also made a range of 13/14' float rods that were also fairly popular.
I still have one that I use on the Trent from time to time. It's a good rod, maybe a little heavier than some modern ones but a good one just the same.

Richox12

Reaction score
Traverse X Feeder rods were very good in the 80's. The Royal Westminster and latterly Traverse X poles were also popular back then.

steve2

Reaction score
I have a ian Heaps canal rod made by silstar a very good small stream rod. Used it a lot on early commercials carp ponds before the carp got too big. Also have a match picker the slimmest softest rod I have ever used.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I have a ian Heaps canal rod made by silstar a very good small stream rod. Used it a lot on early commercials carp ponds before the carp got too big. Also have a match picker the slimmest softest rod I have ever used.
Still use the match picker ? What fish you managed to get in with it ?

steve2

Reaction score
Haven't used that rod for over 25years last used for small stream fishing for roach. Anything bigger and the rod would bend double which it did when trying to land fish over a pound. Have recently thought about using it when dropshotting for small perch.