Most chersihed rig bit...

Aknib

Reaction score
Swivels, olivettes, float rubbers, maggot clips...

What wouldn't you be without?

I'm a non-conformist...

I use maggot clips with multiple pieces of chopped worm (think about it) and, quite hypocritically when I'm being lazy, ready made heli-rigs that slide off of thin wires and straight onto the mainline for Perch livebait paternoster rigs but for me it has to be the micro-swivel.

Quite simply...

Easy and convenient, I can incorporate it into the shotting pattern and have confidence in its strength.

What's your favourite and/or most relied upon rig bit, excluding the hook and line?

Ps... Sorry about the thread title, it was meant to read 'Most cherished rig bit'.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Stotz or their equivalent. I wouldn't like to have to go back to regular shot in size 8 or smaller. Most other things have alternatives I could live with. Wouldn't like to fish without Glow Tip Antennas when conditions allow despite their propensity for disintegrating. Should be making my own soon that hopefully won't fall to bits.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I suppose I should say the humble stillwater blue float but I'm more fond of the last of my tench perfections.

I use a lot of float stops too

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't get excited for any particular type of float. Naturally, I have my favourites, but they are of multiple types for different purposes. The items I tend to use almost every time out are quick change micro-swivels and olivettes. I could live without the latter, at a push, but I'd rather not.

Wouldn't like to fish without Glow Tip Antennas when conditions allow despite their propensity for disintegrating. Should be making my own soon that hopefully won't fall to bits.

If you can cope with a loaded float, try the Drennan Visi Wag 2. Similar sensitivity and fine glow tips, but they don't disintegrate.

I suppose I should say the humble stillwater blue float

If it weren't for having some tucked away, complete with an unpunctured eye, I could safely say that I've not seen a proper Stillwater Blue in at least a decade. The Glow Tip Antennas are better in every way possible bar a certain amount of misty eyed nostalgia.

DSC_0187.jpg

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think float rubbers, shot and a float.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I like a nice float, particularly the new version of the Stillwater blue. I want to give some of Dave Harrels sensitip waggler ago, but reluctant to pay out for postage as there’s no stockists near me.

https://www.daveharrellangling.com/wp-content/uploads/Running_line/3a-small.jpg

I've had some for several years now. They're pretty damned good. I find that they replicate the sensitivity of a much finer tipped float whilst being far easier to see at distance. The only slight downside is the the cross headed sight tip can catch the wind a bit more than a standard float might.

rich66

Reaction score
I've had some for several years now. They're pretty damned good. I find that they replicate the sensitivity of a much finer tipped float whilst being far easier to see at distance. The only slight downside is the the cross headed sight tip can catch the wind a bit more than a standard float might.

Thanks, I never thought of the effects the wind might have on them.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I'd really look forward to seeing those in the float making thread

Prepare to be disappointed. "Home made" is stretching it a bit. 3d modeled then cnc machined and painted but I'll post them up anyway, there's a reason for the cnc approach.

If you can cope with a loaded float, try the Drennan Visi Wag 2. Similar sensitivity and fine glow tips, but they don't disintegrate.

I prefer loaded floats, I load the gt antennas. mikench has some visiwags and from what I've observed they appear to be too heavily loaded at the float. It takes next to nothing down the line although Drennan say it takes 8 No8s. Not sure I'm keen on them all taking the same shot. I like to avoid having any shot by the float if at all possible. I might give one a go some time all the same, thanks.

mikench

Reaction score
Another vote for micro swivels( cralusso mostly) and nice little floats in lovely summery colours.:rolleyes:

As Gordon knows I couldn't cope without my plumbob.:peep:

I also like the little floats stops especially the 500 for £1.98 from China.

nottskev

Reaction score
Those little rubber sliding float stops. I tie two nylon stops if the water is deep enough for the stop to need to go through the rod rings, but if the depth is say 11' and the rod 14' or 15', I'll slide the float a couple of feet and stop it with one of these.

But they have lots of other uses. Around the float instead of locking shot if you want all the shot down, for some reason, or your float is loaded. Two together as a leger stop for a running bomb or feeder. Above and below an olivette to keep it in place. With mainline and a 6" piece of line through to make a slideable link leger. There are probably others I can't remember now.

john step

Reaction score
I am not sure this qualifies for a rig bit but........it attaches Stotz wonderfully so I have included it. They were marketed by Daiwa and I am glad I bought two as I have not seen them since. They hold the Stotz securely without the need from any pressure from the angler . All you do then is squeeze the smaller end.