Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Most chersihed rig bit...

Swivels, olivettes, float rubbers, maggot clips...

What wouldn't you be without?

I'm a non-conformist...

I use maggot clips with multiple pieces of chopped worm (think about it) and, quite hypocritically when I'm being lazy, ready made heli-rigs that slide off of thin wires and straight onto the mainline for Perch livebait paternoster rigs but for me it has to be the micro-swivel.

Quite simply...

Easy and convenient, I can incorporate it into the shotting pattern and have confidence in its strength.

What's your favourite and/or most relied upon rig bit, excluding the hook and line?

Ps... Sorry about the thread title, it was meant to read 'Most cherished rig bit'.
    Last edited by Aknib; 14-02-2020 at 20:17.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Most chersihed rig bit...

Stotz or their equivalent. I wouldn't like to have to go back to regular shot in size 8 or smaller. Most other things have alternatives I could live with. Wouldn't like to fish without Glow Tip Antennas when conditions allow despite their propensity for disintegrating. Should be making my own soon that hopefully won't fall to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Should be making my own soon that hopefully won't fall to bits.
    I'd really look forward to seeing those in the float making thread, I love home made alternatives to the mass produced offerings

4. Default Re: Most chersihed rig bit...

I suppose I should say the humble stillwater blue float but I'm more fond of the last of my tench perfections.

I use a lot of float stops too

I can't get excited for any particular type of float. Naturally, I have my favourites, but they are of multiple types for different purposes. The items I tend to use almost every time out are quick change micro-swivels and olivettes. I could live without the latter, at a push, but I'd rather not.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Wouldn't like to fish without Glow Tip Antennas when conditions allow despite their propensity for disintegrating. Should be making my own soon that hopefully won't fall to bits.
    If you can cope with a loaded float, try the Drennan Visi Wag 2. Similar sensitivity and fine glow tips, but they don't disintegrate.

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater blue View Post
    I suppose I should say the humble stillwater blue float
    If it weren't for having some tucked away, complete with an unpunctured eye, I could safely say that I've not seen a proper Stillwater Blue in at least a decade. The Glow Tip Antennas are better in every way possible bar a certain amount of misty eyed nostalgia.

Most chersihed rig bit...-dsc_0187.jpg
    Last edited by sam vimes; 14-02-2020 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

If you can cope with a loaded float, try the Drennan Visi Wag 2. Similar sensitivity and fine glow tips, but they don't disintegrate.
    Don't do it Gordon, it's just witchcraft... Make your own and post 'em in the float making thread

Follow your soul and keep your wallet firmly shut...
    Born to mow... Long grass is our enemy!

I think float rubbers, shot and a float.

I like a nice float, particularly the new version of the Stillwater blue. I want to give some of Dave Harrels sensitip waggler ago, but reluctant to pay out for postage as there’s no stockists near me.

https://www.daveharrellangling.com/w...e/3a-small.jpg

After that I reckon most things can be replaced or done without except hooks, hooks are good

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    I like a nice float, particularly the new version of the Stillwater blue. I want to give some of Dave Harrels sensitip waggler ago, but reluctant to pay out for postage as there’s no stockists near me.

https://www.daveharrellangling.com/w...e/3a-small.jpg
    I've had some for several years now. They're pretty damned good. I find that they replicate the sensitivity of a much finer tipped float whilst being far easier to see at distance. The only slight downside is the the cross headed sight tip can catch the wind a bit more than a standard float might.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I've had some for several years now. They're pretty damned good. I find that they replicate the sensitivity of a much finer tipped float whilst being far easier to see at distance. The only slight downside is the the cross headed sight tip can catch the wind a bit more than a standard float might.
    Thanks, I never thought of the effects the wind might have on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast