Popped up bread.

dicky123

Reaction score
Guys.

I've been watching some good videos on this subject, commercials obviously. However has anyone tried it in winter for bigger fish? Think I'm going to give it a try while the rivers are flooded, just a trip or two.

My local big carp water is never fished in winter, it's too hard in summer let alone winter. It's empty all the time, so I'm thinking do exactly what the guys to on commercials. 8lb line, light lead bread popped up, cast every 30/40 minutes a foot off the bottom. It would be ironic if a 40lb+ turned up on such a simple tactic. The match guys say if you get it right the carp simply cannot resist it. Thoughts?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Can't see it not working, before I moved my son and I used to catch a fair number of winter gravel pit carp on a hair rigged 8mm cork ball about a foot off bottom. The hard part was sometimes finding the fish, once you did usually resulted in a vicious take as soon as you hit bottom.

john step

Reaction score
Bread is definitely an underrated carp bait. As Jerry says finding them in winter is critical. Whether or not the bread would stay on long enough is another matter.
I catch carp on an easy water all winter on bread flake. The best method is suspended flake about a foot off bottom.
Is there a drop off close to the bank where you know carp patrol on your water where maybe you could fish a float . Maybe something a little lighter than a carp rod in winter. Barbel rod/1.5 TC maybe to 8lb bs?

From observation in the clear winter waters, some carp huddle up and do not move but others seem to be restless and cruise all the time about 3 feet under the surface. A little bread slush can get them interested.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bread is definitely an underrated carp bait.

Yes, and in various guises caught most of the bigger carp in days gone bye on end tackle we would laugh at today. I certainly put bread on the menu for quite a few species today.............