Browning Sphere please?

dicky123

Reaction score
This 11' is classed as a pellet waggler rod, has a casting weight of 25 grams. Just wondered if that would be too heavy for silver work, the rod is at a bargain price?

I know several folk like these so asking, as I'm still looking? Thanks all again for any help -feedback.

Its worth mentioning I take a lot of notice what people tell me. Fact is I've brought very few rods without advise of the forum, so cheers all.

After thought. Anyone know what the river rods are like the 13'6'' Browning river, doe that spliced tip help that much?

Richard.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The 11' PW Sphere is pretty much what it says on the tin. That's not to say that it couldn't be used for silvers, but it's not really intended for that. I'd buy one if I managed to pick one up for about £100, otherwise, I'm not really interested. That's not saying it's a bad rod, just a reflection of how little use I'd have for it.

The spliced tip Browning rods I do own and like immensely. They are out and out river rods, but not necessarily out and out small silvers rods. Likewise, the hollow tipped Sphere waggler rods are nice, but they aren't really light actioned rods.

The Browning Sphere that was an out and out canal/drain silvers rod was the Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition. It's essentially a modern incarnation of the once popular 11' 6" spliced tip canal rods. However, it was touted as a special edition and is no longer a current model. It came in a different rod bag to the rest of the Sphere rods and also had a zipped Cordura tube. I love mine so much that I wish I had a spare. Now it has been discontinued there's very little sign of it ever having existed. However, there is this video of Bob Nudd using one on the Old Nene.

dicky123

Reaction score
The 11' PW Sphere is pretty much what it says on the tin. That's not to say that it couldn't be used for silvers, but it's not really intended for that. I'd buy one if I managed to pick one up for about £100, otherwise, I'm not really interested. That's not saying it's a bad rod, just a reflection of how little use I'd have for it.

The spliced tip Browning rods I do own and like immensely. They are out and out river rods, but not necessarily out and out small silvers rods. Likewise, the hollow tipped Sphere waggler rods are nice, but they aren't really light actioned rods.

The Browning Sphere that was an out and out canal/drain silvers rod was the Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition. It's essentially a modern incarnation of the once popular 11' 6" spliced tip canal rods. However, it was touted as a special edition and is no longer a current model. It came in a different rod bag to the rest of the Sphere rods and also had a zipped Cordura tube. I love mine so much that I wish I had a spare. Now it has been discontinued there's very little sign of it ever having existed. However, there is this video of Bob Nudd using one on the Old Nene.

So Sam, you're saying the river 13'6'' would be more like the Acolyte Plus (not the action but the beefiness?) I've buzzed Browning an e-mail asking about the line range for the 13'6'' rod, awaiting a reply. Thanks Buddy. Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll be interested to hear what they come back with regarding tue line ratings.
They told me 4lb but I used 6lb and it was fine.

dicky123

Reaction score
Tigger. Was that for the Match or River rods? At 4-6lb it's not different enough to my acolyte in truth. The action may be, but not enough to make me change. To be honest I'm after a new out and out roach dace rod, soft tip but fast action? River and Lakes.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger. Was that for the Match or River rods? At 4-6lb it's not different enough to my acolyte in truth. The action may be, but not enough to make me change. To be honest I'm after a new out and out roach dace rod, soft tip but fast action? River and Lakes.

That was the 13ft 6 inch river rod.
The sphere waggler rods may be worth you having a nosey at. They don't have a slow action and I don't think they're as powerful as the accy plus rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
So Sam, you're saying the river 13'6'' would be more like the Acolyte Plus (not the action but the beefiness?)

Give or take a bit, yes. I'll be fascinated to hear what Browning come back with. I didn't believe what they told Tigger previously. I wondered if they might have got confused with the Hotrods Silvers Edition.

Richox12

Reaction score
25g ? Really ? Just shy of an ounce ?? That is a seriously HEAVY float ! Many don't cast feeders that heavy.

trotter2

Reaction score
Those browning spheres the spliced tip models to me feel very solid in the mid sections personally I think they are more powerful than the acolyte plus. The tips are very fine when you pick one up you maybe inclined to think they are to stiff I suspect the fine tip helps soften the effect. Not sure it would be ok for very fine hook lengths like 0.08 mind. I fish very fine hooklenghs if I can get away with it for that the acolyte ultra is the rod.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
25g ? Really ? Just shy of an ounce ?? That is a seriously HEAVY float ! Many don't cast feeders that heavy.

I think it's 30 grames, at least that's printed on my wagglers and spliced rods.