Do you have to...

Aknib

Reaction score
Love it to use it?

Is tackle, or for that matter methods, just a means to an end with the highest performer sealing your choice or do you dismiss much of it on face value and persevere with (supposedly, depending on your point of view) lesser because you simply enjoy using it or doing it more?

I'm unashamedly of the latter, life's short and the quest for the ultimate will go on long after I've gone so enjoyment and the fulfilment which it leads to plays a much stronger hand than the pure performance element which has, in the past, left me feeling wanting and 'returning' me to where I am now.

No rights or wrongs just individual preference based on your perspective so...

How about you?

sam vimes

Reaction score
In this respect, I'm an unabashed bundle of contradictions.

I'll fish a float regardless of whether it's the best option or not. I simply enjoy float fishing more than legering. I use a centrepin with no particular belief in them being the best option. I simply enjoy using them, at least on flowing water.

When it comes to float rods, I'll happily try all-comers to find the best for a certain application. However, half the fun of that is in the buying and trying new stuff. It doesn't actually matter that much if the new thing isn't better than existing gear. Finding an undisputed best will actually be a bit of a weird disappointment. The prospect of finding something so exceptionally good, that ever trying anything else would be pointless, is a rather dismal one.

When it comes to other types of rods, I don't care enough to do anything but make do with what I've got.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One rod that really is imo the undisputed best of it's type that i've ever come across is the 11ft hardy avon rod. I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets surpassed by any other avon rod.