New float rod Daiwa Powermesh 12ft or Greys Toreon 13ft

MountainAsh

Reaction score
Has anyone tried either of the above rods and able to comment on their suitability for basic smallish pond and stick float river work?

I’m in the market for a new float rod £40 - £50 range and have seen these two at decent prices but with line ratings for each 3 to 10lbs think they may be a little too meaty. I reckon 3lb main line will be my maximum.

Thanks in advance.

mikench

Reaction score
I can’t comment on the Powermesh but I’m sure the Greys would be perfect. I have the 10’6 rod and I really like it. Gordon( Wetthrough ) has the 13’ as well and fishes for roach and whatever comes along with light lines and hook lengths. I know he likes it. It’s a bargain too.

nottskev

Reaction score
If you do think you're going to be fishing with reel lines no higher than 3lb (and that's pretty light by today's standards, but not untoward for many whose fishing is for roach, dace perch bream etc in waters where carp are not stocked) I'd ask why you're even considering getting a rod that's rated for lines up to 10lb. I only use 10lb line to fish for big barbel. Even for odd trips to carp-type fisheries, I'll only use 6lb line. The rods I use for barbel or carp, different in each case, are nothing like the ones I use with 3lb reel line for smaller species.

If you intend to be fishing light, I'd think a more traditional match rod would fit the bill. It will be much more in balance, and more of a pleasure to use. A rod designed to work with lighter lines will itself be lighter, more flexible, better at casting small floats, better able to absorb the strain on light lines, and will give you a lot more "feel" for catching small to medium size fish.

Last edited:

MountainAsh

Reaction score
I guess I’m be suckered by heavily discounted quality rods, certainly where the Greys is concerned and hoping to get a rod that I won’t want to changing in the short term. The one rod that routinely crops up under the float rod search is the Acolyte which is beyond my budget. Cheers

wetthrough

Reaction score
The Greys will probably be OK for you. I have one which I used for several years and still do on occasion. I changed to a softer actioned rod simply because it's what I prefer but I don't fish rivers where that slightly stiffer tip might help. At the price you can get them for at the moment you could do a lot worse. Can't speak for the Powermesh.

nottskev

Reaction score
I can't see how the Greys rod fits the bill for the OP who plans to fish small ponds and a bit of stick float.
I tried to look up the spec for the Grey's Toreon - and found, to exemplify the nonsense in the blurbs - it's suitable for lines from 5lb to 14lb! I can't find a decent description or review.
I have one rod which the manufacturers, normally reliable in their spec's, say is suitable for lines between 3lb and 10lb. That's a Daiwa Spectron 11/13' Extra Heavy Feeder. I use it for barbel feedering, and it's very good with lines from 6lb - 8lb. I wouldn't dream of using it with lines of 3lb and under - as specified by the OP - unless I'd accidentally left all my other gear at home, and then it would feel completely out of kilter.
If a float rod is being marketed as suited to lines up to 10lb, it can only be, if that rating is accurate, in the upper end of the "power float rod" category aimed at carp and barbel. Not at all the thing for small ponds and a bit of stick float.

wetthrough

Reaction score
The original spec on the Greys site was up to 8lb. Can't remember what the lowwer limit was.

Just to add - having handled the 11 and 12' Drennan Matchpro Ultralight, if the 13' Matchpro is of a similar vein there wouldn't be much in it between the 13' MatchPro and the Greys 13'.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have minimal experience of either Greys Toreon or Daiwa Powermesh Float rods. However, I have handled both.

I consider the Powermesh rods as out and out specimen float rods. Light, in action or weight, they are not. If you intend to fish fairly unsubtle (float) methods, for decent sized fish, these might be a good option. For lighter tactics and smaller fish, I'd look elsewhere.

The Greys Toreon is not quite as heavy in either respect. It appeared far closer to being a one size fits all float rod than the Powermesh. I am absolutely baffled by some of the line ratings I've seen ascribed to various Toreon models. There's little doubt in my mind that most manufacturers err on the side of caution in their ratings, but I very much doubt that the Toreon would be rated higher than 8lb mainline if it wore another brand name. I wouldn't consider it a specimen float rod, nor is it a light actioned bit bashing rod.

john step

Reaction score
Unfortunately the type of fishing you envisage from those 30 years ago is not so common now.
The lighter action traditional match rods are not so plentiful. There are some about but not so many in the price range you specify.
There are some in the Drennan stable but at a price.
A used rod may be the way to go.

MountainAsh

Reaction score
I have minimal experience of either Greys Toreon or Daiwa Powermesh Float rods. However, I have handled both.

I consider the Powermesh rods as out and out specimen float rods. Light, in action or weight, they are not. If you intend to fish fairly unsubtle (float) methods, for decent sized fish, these might be a good option. For lighter tactics and smaller fish, I'd look elsewhere.

The Greys Toreon is not quite as heavy in either respect. It appeared far closer to being a one size fits all float rod than the Powermesh. I am absolutely baffled by some of the line ratings I've seen ascribed to various Toreon models. There's little doubt in my mind that most manufacturers err on the side of caution in their ratings, but I very much doubt that the Toreon would be rated higher than 8lb mainline if it wore another brand name. I wouldn't consider it a specimen float rod, nor is it a light actioned bit bashing rod.

Thanks for comments. Regarding the Greys 13ft, would it clearly noticeable (bigger hole in the bank account aside) of going lighter say a Cadence CR10 # 1 or a Garbolino Altima Match 3s light?

Cheers

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks for comments. Regarding the Greys 13ft, would it clearly noticeable (bigger hole in the bank account aside) of going lighter say a Cadence CR10 # 1 or a Garbolino Altima Match 3s light?

Cheers

I suspect that you'd notice the difference in power easily enough. Whether you'd be better served and justified in the extra financial outlay is another matter entirely. An awful lot is going to depend on personal preferences and prices you might actually pay. The Altimas have been discontinued but are still available through certain retailers, sometimes at clearance prices. There are often deals on Cadence rods and reels. Get one of those deals and they are even better value. The 13' Greys Toreon has been heavily discounted by one or two retailers.

I don't own any of the rods in question. I have an Altima 10' (soon to be joined by a 15'er) and I did give the 13' Light a good coat of looking at. Only having other light actioned 13' rods stopped me getting one.

I have very little experience of the Cadence rods. My brief look and feel of them gave me the impression that they were comparable to rods that would usually cost a bit more, but not more than the best of the really high priced stuff (£200+). That impression was undoubtedly little better than a brief 1st impression.

When it came to the Greys Toreon, my hands on experience is similarly limited. A friend put a 13'er in my hands and said "what do you think?" Prior to that, I'd not even heard of them. My response was that it was pretty good and probably retailed between £100 and £150. Not surprisingly, when it turned out he'd paid £50, it seemed a pretty good buy. It was only after the event that I read the line ratings and wondered at how on earth they'd come up with them.

Greys Toreon Tactical Rods Float | BobCo Tackle, Leeds

nottskev

Reaction score
Shakespeare have traditionally made some float rods that are quite modestly priced but manage to have sweet actions suitable for light floatfishing.

I bought a pellet waggler rod a while back in their Agility 2 series, and for it's price I was pleasantly surprised at the fittings and finish, and I couldn't ask for a better rod for its purpose.

I noticed on eBay you can get a 13' Agility 2 Match rod, described as a traditional, not power/carp, float rod for half price, £57.97.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2600907192...gleloc=1006965&poi=&campaignid=9451487402&mkg

MountainAsh

Reaction score
Shakespeare have traditionally made some float rods that are quite modestly priced but manage to have sweet actions suitable for light floatfishing.

I bought a pellet waggler rod a while back in their Agility 2 series, and for it's price I was pleasantly surprised at the fittings and finish, and I couldn't ask for a better rod for its purpose.

I noticed on eBay you can get a 13' Agility 2 Match rod, described as a traditional, not power/carp, float rod for half price, £57.97.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2600907192...gleloc=1006965&poi=&campaignid=9451487402&mkg

Cheers, I’ll have a look. Saw that you had posted a comment re. the Weaver Navigation. A fair bit of my yoof was spent with the tench at Hartford Bridge:)

nottskev

Reaction score
Cheers, I’ll have a look. Saw that you had posted a comment re. the Weaver Navigation. A fair bit of my yoof was spent with the tench at Hartford Bridge:)

Long way from Cornwall? I loved fishing at Vale Royal - luscious countryside with all that Fred Dibnah architecture and engineering around the giant locks. And around the town centre and the Dane confluence. You could have different fishing everyday without travelling more than a mile to the different swims.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Regarding the Greys 13ft, would it clearly noticeable (bigger hole in the bank account aside) of going lighter say a Cadence CR10 # 1 or a Garbolino Altima Match 3s light?

Not sure whether we're talking about he same rod but I have an Altima Match 13' Light and the Greys Toreon 13' Float. The Altima is lighter in the hand and has a more forgiving action then the Greys, better suited IMO to the lighter lines you might be using. I use the Toreon when fishing at distance and depth (float) as it picks the line up better being a little beefier. The Toreon is a good all rounder and even though Greys spec' it at 8lb line I'd say that's on the high side.

What I would say is that if my experience is anything to go by you're likely to change your mind about what it is you want from a rod after you've fished for a while. With that in mind you might save yourself some money by getting the cheapest 'OK' rod and sticking with it for a year when you might have a better idea of what will suit you and your style.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Long way from Cornwall? I loved fishing at Vale Royal - luscious countryside with all that Fred Dibnah architecture and engineering around the giant locks. And around the town centre and the Dane confluence. You could have different fishing everyday without travelling more than a mile to the different swims.

It's more or less devoid of fish now, due to cormorants, not as good as it was few years ago .

nottskev

Reaction score
It's more or less devoid of fish now, due to cormorants, not as good as it was few years ago .

I've not been there for a decade, Mark, but I was so depressed by your comment, as I loved fishing there, that I googled some 2019 match results to see if there are any fish left. Here's the top 3 weights (lbs) from the ones I found:

14, 9, 8
22, 18, 17
78, 70, 55,
44, 44, 36

These were all off the Dredger and Oak Tree lengths. Unless they've really been busy this year, the cormorants must have left a few in.