Fishing tackle used for...

Aknib

Reaction score
Domestic purposes?

I recall a thread some time ago about household items used for fishing purposes (repropriated?) so this is a bit of a mirror opposite.

I've had various requests over the years for lengths of line, God only knows what people wanted it for maybe bead making or something but someone did tell me they wanted to use it for curtain tie backs!

I vaguely recall using it myself to tie back a shower curtain for many years :eek:mg:

And we all remember Fergie's skirt blowing up coming down those plane steps (I'm still traumatised, I haven't seen that much ginger since Duracell came about) and the future outfits which had lead shot sewn into the hem.

That aside I lit my barbeque this afternoon and low and behold where the hell are my bloody tongs?

I searched high and low but they're nowhere to be seen, the garden pixies have carted the damned things off!

Not to be deterred I decided that they were an unnecessary luxury anyway and that I'd turn my sausages by hand but one crackle and whiff of singed hair from my wrist and lower arm told me it was time for plan B.

Enter the Pike forceps...

Ok they've been down the throat of numerous Pike but a cup of bleach, some boiling water and ten minutes later they were as good as new.

What items of fishing tackle have you used, or been asked for by others, for domestic purposes and does this threaten the future of B&Q?

Paste paul

Reaction score
Yes it’s definitely a threat to the Barby..... ??????
I’ve actually used my fishing brolly at a family barby when it rained !
If that counts.......
When I’m jet washing the drive I wear my waders !!!!!!
We use my precious line for the Christmas cards ......

chrissh

Reaction score
I have used my fishing cool bag when shopping for frozen food.

Bed chair for a sun longer. and to put a friend up over night

MY daughter used my bivvy bed chair, sleeping bag and stove to camp at a pop concert

Line for hanging Christmas cards.

Fishing boot legging and jacket when shovelling show from our drive

Fishing stove to make a brew in a power cut

rich66

Reaction score
Mono line is used quite often to tie balloons together in our house.
I’ve joined wire mesh together with cheap 30lb braid.
I used an old whip to hold up a flap of roofing felt for weeks until I got round to fixing it properly.
I like to use my fishing chair in the garden it’s far more comfortable than those wooden things that the wife calls chairs.

Keith M

Reaction score
Ive seen fishing line being used in film studios for explosions where the items are tied to a centre spot and off screen the fishing mono is attached to tensioned elastic. When the explosion is set off the line at the centre is burnt through and the items all suddenly move outwards.

In the past when the kids were younger Ive used a sea multiplier full of 25lb mono (attached to a short boat rod) for flying a kite; which worked a treat and the kite went really high in the sky.

My daughter borrowed my Carp bivvie and stove a couple of times when she went to Glastonbury.

I used to play with the cat and dog by reeling in their soft toys from the bottom of the garden using a fishing rod and line tied to the toy.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Brolly for extra sun shade, chairs if had extra people round for barby, even used my seat boxes, The ASI was good with groundbait tray at side, ideal for holding drinks and burgers ,also PI box with side tray,
Bib n brace when washing car and jet washing flagstones

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When my children were a lot smaller I would often use a lovely old wicker fishing basket as a picnic hamper as it was sufficiently voluminous to hold all the food needed for the four of us.

I still have that basket and today it sits in the corner of my study with a few old Efgeco bait boxes on top of it.

seth49

Reaction score
Waders for power washing.

Bed chair and chair in the garden and brolly for shade.

Braid for restringing my wife’s necklace.

Artery forceps as an extra hand, and retrieving things.

Aknib

Reaction score
When my children were a lot smaller I would often use a lovely old wicker fishing basket as a picnic hamper as it was sufficiently voluminous to hold all the food needed for the four of us.

I still have that basket and today it sits in the corner of my study with a few old Efgeco bait boxes on top of it.

Just before this lockdown business began I was getting serious flutters of eyelashes from a bird at work and things were looking a cert.

Unlike me really but I'd decided to make a move and then... Bloody lockdown!

Anyway, thinking outside the box a little I'd decided to ask her out for a picnic instead of the usual drink and I'd planned the same thing with my wicker basket, especially as I have a large Nash cool bag which fits very neatly inside it.

I'd planned on filling it with ice packs and cans of San Miguel, and stuffing a cream cake down the side for her, before informing her on the day that she would driving back.

Well c'mon...

Start as you mean to go on :w

That is absolutely true too, that really was the plan... Does anyone know how sex pans out with social distancing?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Just before this lockdown business began I was getting serious flutters of eyelashes from a bird at work and things were looking a cert.

Anyway, thinking outside the box a little I'd decided to ask her out for a picnic instead of the usual drink and I'd planned the same thing with my wicker basket, especially as I have a large Nash cool bag which fits very neatly inside it.

I'd planned on filling it with ice packs and cans of San Miguel, and stuffing a cream cake down the side for her, before informing her on the day that she would driving back.

Well c'mon...

That is absolutely true too, that really was the plan... Does anyone know how sex pans out with social distancing?

My nickname amongst women is "Tripod" ,
So I have no problems on that score :wh

mikench

Reaction score
You wish. I heard a girl once asked you why you were called tripod and you said look at this as you unzipped your"

......camera bag and took a long steady photo.

lambert1

Reaction score

Well c'mon...

It is all about sausage with you Steve! Bearing in mind that the principle places to get the virus are through the mouth, eyes and nose you should provide her with a mask and address matters from the rear so to speak!

mikench

Reaction score
I think I’d rather have political posts but I do like innuendo..:wh:washing::clap::behindsofa:

Paste paul

Reaction score
No 14 elastic used to repair my glasses lanyard
C0A2C198-20F4-45A3-90B6-79D070A71740.jpeg

Aknib

Reaction score
Couldn't resist this one.

I'm not the biggest fan of decorating and if I think I can do it with one heavy coat instead of two I will!

Slight problem in that the weight of the paint on my hallway wallpaper peeled some of the seams apart so they were re-pasted, stuck back and held down until set like concrete with...

Some improvised clamps made from banksticks, the job's a good 'un :)

hatc.JPG

Good ol' Dinsmore's Arrow Point.