Match rods light?

dicky123

Reaction score
Does the fact that Daiwa don't seem to make a out and out 13' Match rod (right now) for modest hook-links reflect the lack of River and silver fish fishing in matches. It seems their rods are rated for 2lb to 8lb through the entire range? I'm thinking they are designed for commercial work where carp and bigger carp are the interest? They are making rods that sell and reflect the current market?

Paste paul

Reaction score
Does the fact that Daiwa don't seem to make a out and out 13' Match rod (right now) for modest hook-links reflect the lack of River and silver fish fishing in matches. It seems their rods are rated for 2lb to 8lb through the entire range? I'm thinking they are designed for commercial work where carp and bigger carp are the interest? They are making rods that sell and reflect the current market?

Probably.... I haven’t really looked at rods lately so I would be guessing...... but I would guess they will make and sell to the market... as any successful business would...
But it does seem to me people are turning back towards natural venues albeit a lot do the feeder fishing....
I noticed a video on Facebook a week ago where tommy Pickering was waggler fishing on a commercial.... he advised a 13 foot match rod for a more traditional attack along side a pellet waggler rod so maybe things might change a bit ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have an old Daiwa rod 12' must be 30 years old, I think if I put 8lb line through it the rod would be overloaded, My 13' Daiwa is about 4 years old ,that has a 2 to 8 rating, but only use upto 4lb on it, my Drenban crystalite has mainline rating of 2.8lb I think and hooklength rating of 1lb 10oz.
I think just because a lot of rods have a higher line rating they would not make a good silvers rod,
I use my modern day Daiwa for silvers on commercials along with a pellet waggler rod, and also on gravel pits.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Daiwa match rods of the early nineties were mostly rated for mainlines of 2-4lb. However, I always believed that this was fairly conservative. I've certainly not been hesitant to put 6lb mainlines through those that I own.

However, just like the vast majority of rod types, there has definitely been a significant element of upwards power creep over the last twenty years or so. We are also into a position where so called match rods are not really used by the majority of modern commie matchmen. Out and out silvers rods, new or old, are a niche product aimed at a dwindling number of stillwater, canal and river anglers.

I'm not entirely convinced that the line ratings of at least some modern Daiwa "match" rods isn't a little bit of a red herring. I've certainly handled a few that didn't seem as powerful as their 8lb rating might suggest.

steve2

Reaction score
My Drennan DRX ultralight is rate at 2-4lb with 2lb hook link. I use it with 6lb line for Tench float fishing with a 4lb hook link. I also use it with lighter lines and hook links.
A bit of an all rounder although not designed as one.