Any one selling a Mitchell half bail arm?

M

MCMILLIGAN

I am after a mitchell half bail arm for me grandad for his birthday as he restores reels he has the 3rd version and i want to get him a 1st or second if any one is selling one please leave a comment

Windy

Reaction score
You mean a bail arm made before the expiry of the Hardy's patent on full bail arms ?

Or one of the minimalist half bails used on the tournament casting reels / wedding cake spool reels ?

Rare as hens teeth. And correspondingly very very very valuable, especially if it completes an otherwise incomplete collectable reel.

You were I take it going to include those considerations in your offer of fair recompense ?

As I am afraid that I am more than a wee bit cynical about people asking for such rare and valuable items on a forum that might well include some older members in possession of such items with no idea that they are as valuable as they are.

Especially from someone with only 53 forum posts but 31 classifieds !?!?! Which would sort of kind of imply that you are in the tackle buying and selling game in a modest way, even if only as an interested amateur.

No offence intended if I have you all wrong, but.... if I can put it this way, if someone walked into my parents old folks home and offered to get rid of any of that silly old fashioned Clarice Cliffe rubbish in exchange for a nice new tea service I think I'd raise a similar / equivalent eyebrow.

M

MCMILLIGAN

No i dont buy and sell Im to young for all that as im Only 15 and i thought it would be nice just to get him one for his birthday

M

MCMILLIGAN

and i mean the one before hardys full bail arm patent run out

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Yeah Spike how come you got so many classifieds then ?

Will chat at school tomorrow lol

OK windy and spiders back off a little, what we have here is a young man who is mad keen on Mitchells for some reason, there is nododgy dealing going on I can assure you both. Just a passion for a certainbrand name thats all.

Windy

Reaction score
OK Trev, will take it from you as a trusted long term member of the forum that he's on the level.

Equally trust that you appreciate I wasn't trying to be difficult or malicious. I'm quite happy to give away old tackle to the right people for nowt with not a second thought, see other thread...

But when someone starts punting for some of the holy grail parts of the older and most valuable Mitchell reels with no indication of any awareness or acknowledgment of the value of said parts, plus has more classified ads history than forum posts, then I do not apologise for being a trifle over protective.

Even a 15 yr old collector should do well to learn not to take advantage, even unintentionally. To be honest, I did things at age 15 I wouldn't have felt comfortable about doing later in life when I'd gained a few ethics. And if he's up to offering an honest price for these parts then what does his Dad give him as pocket money ? British Steel ? Still a little suspicious to be honest mate, sorry if inappropriate but....

'twould be different and I'd be a lot less suspicious and cautious if he wasn't asking for the Mitchell Reel equivalent of free gold bars.....

M

MCMILLIGAN

i've managed to get a 1'st edition mitchell half bail arm abit tatty buts mechanically its fine its ust got to be shipped over

Windy

Reaction score
Well done young McM... but if you're buying blind from abroad make sure you use a credit card or at a pinch Paypal to make payment just in case it turns out to be one of them as takes your money but sends you nowt.

Although even a credit card gives no protection buying from a private individual as opposed to business sale, and Paypal refunds are only as good as the amount of money in the punter's Paypal account at the time that they seek to reverse the transfer. If the Paypal account has been cleared out then you get no refund.

One reason to always chase non-received goods for a tracing number before the expiry of seven days from the date you paid - it takes 5 clear days / 7 days to transfer money out of a Paypal account, so a non-received notice before then will act to secure your own money in the account pending refund or receipt.

If you're a Mitchell fan then don't neglect the last real Mitchell reels, the Quartz range, especially the pro Quartzes, and take 'em fishing !. No display case under bubble wrap for me. Good luck

M

MCMILLIGAN

No they where designed to be used so thats what it will be used for. And sorry about you getting the wrong impression off me but theres no harm done !