Local Tackle shops

M

MCMILLIGAN

I recently decided to buy the korum day shelter so went down to my local tackle shop "hamburys" placed my order, weeks later he's told me that he can't get any in until late april and has took my money, when i said can you ask the rep to ask around he said " I only deal direct with Korum" and he is trying to sell me every day shelter under his shop roof. Is he playing me around trying to get me to have one that is already in his shop or not?????

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Why not have a ring around yourself of a look on the internet. It may be you can get one from another source. I don't think I would have parted with my cash if he couldn't give a reasonable delivery date. If he can't supply in a reasonable time ask for your money back and go elsewhere.

Red Army

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>If he can't supply in a reasonable time ask for your money back and go elsewhere.</blockquote>
Not only that but also tell him that's the last time he's seeing you /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gifYou'll feel much better after that /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he might be being somewhat 'economical' with the truth.

Korum are a part of Preston Innovations, who have travelling reps for each area, so 'dealing with them direct'(ly) is not an option.

If you have a choice of tackle shop then I'd be asking for my money back and taking my business elsewhere.

My local tackle shop (Reid's) is terrific, nothing is ever too much trouble, and you don't pay until the item is delivered on the odd ocassion that it is not already in stock.

M

MCMILLIGAN

im not keen on getting stuff of the internet because there is no aftercare service.

M

MCMILLIGAN

iv got me money back and trevs going to get me one from banks and burrs nd cheers trev

Nik Foad

Reaction score
I have a local tackle shop in Windsor that I use each weekend when fishing.

I bought my first rods from the owner Malcolm Hicks and he drew my first rigs on paper for me to learn.

I can't imagine fishing without my visit to the shop. The banter with him/his staff and other anglers is all part of the build up to my fishing on the Sunday. He is a hub for information on venues and general fishing tips.

I know I can get my kit off the web for considerably less but I pay the extra for the advice, experience and the fun in making the purchase. In addition when you want a tub of lobworms and a pint of maggots on a Tuesday afternoon because you get a bit of free time where are you going to get your fishing essentials to make that afternoon work (bait etc..)???

Support your local shops and keep fishing alive and accessible to all.

M

MCMILLIGAN

Depends what the owners are like "Hamburys" some time daryl is okay other time's he is mardy, he's like this with most people

Nik Foad

Reaction score
That's unfortunate - I guess he doesn't want your business.

Not a good move on his behalf I'd expect!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Support your local shops and keep fishing alive and accessible to all."

I could not agree more Nik.

I will be in my local tackle shop tomorrow morning to pick up all I need for Saturday on the Itchen, including a couple of new reels.

Could I get my kit cheaper on-line, of courseI could, but not with the friendly chat, up to date information and a decent cup of tea while I 'browse'

Use your local tackle shop or run the risk of losing it!

M

MCMILLIGAN

Theres a couple to pick from round our neck of the woods but don't think i will use hamburys for much now

Donald Bain

Reaction score
McMilligan, I've had an order in at my local shop since November for some Preston gear! I checked around and nobody has got any of my list!

Apparently there is another price rise imminent, do you think Preston are now trading on their name?

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Well said Nik. My local tackle dealers in Fareham, Rovers Tackle and Hansfords, are both helpful and a source of local knowledge.

I don't buy mail order as I prefer to see and feel the gear before buying. I know that rods and reels can be bought cheaper via mail order but our tackle shops will try their best to match prices. I would much prefer to pay a little extra and keep my tackle shop open.

chub angler

Reaction score
if we don't support our local shops and they close we are f**ked if you want a couple of pints of maggots or weights feeders or a packet of hooks in a hurry.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
My local tackle shop is excellent - I get tips on where's fishing well, what the latest "must have bait ect" is any good and the odd 1/2 pint of casters for free.

I visit the shop once a week - even if I'm not fishing, just to buy a couple of packets of hooks and flaot stops ect.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Some shops are better than others though. I phoned my local shop (Banks and Burr)and they got the shelter all sorted for me within the hour, McMilligan is now happily sitting in it and catching fish.

Hopefully now the weather is warming up and the fish are beginning to show then anglers will be getting back out and using their local shops more often, lets get the cash flowing over their counters or we will lose em.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Too right Trev

It nevr hurts to call in once a weekand spend a quid or two - the owner will get to know you and is more likely to be helpful - and the £2 spent will ahve been spent any way - hooks., pellets, groundbait,float - they don't go to waste

Foxy

Reaction score
i use my local as above, just to pop in and get the usual bits and pieces as they cant afford to stock everything so your limited to what you can get your hands on. So its internet for me on items like rods, reels, bite alrms etc most ofthe lads on any decent lake will have all thegear anyway so you can go and have a go on theirs first before you buy