Pole fishing for carp

Fruitbat

Reaction score
Now I know I am probably being dense here but... if one purchases a strong 7 or 8 metre margin pole with the intention of fishing for carp just how big a carp could one expect to play on say a 22 elastic?

I have a particular water in mind which will need delicate and accurate presentation but the ability to bully potentially double figure fish away from snags.Is fishing with a pole a viable option or are they only good for 'pasties'?

The other option I had considered was dropping a conventional ledger into the swim using my existing poles cup kit.

Advice on a suitable pole would also be welcome.

davey boy

Reaction score
Pole fishing for carp!!!!!!

I do it a lot, ive had fish to 22lb from both pools and canals.

I use the original XRS Tri-cast pole 12.5 considered by many to be the strongest pole made, i know of people using 12lb straight through to big T raptor hooks (propper carp gear).

Look up Drayton reservoir fish to 40lb in there and mid 20s very oftern come out with the average size being around 16lb and many use the pole there.

Have fun and hold on tight.

Dave.

slime monster

Reaction score
It's not clever targetting that size Carp on pole , I have landed near twenty pound Carpin matches on the pole and it has to be said I was broken by bigger fish ,as for using 12lb line straight through God help the fish if it reaches trees or other snags.

davey boy

Reaction score
Drayton is a very big open water and most of the matches on there (and there are many) loads of people use the pole and have for many years,some poles are capable of handling fish like this, well in excess of the fish normally assosiated with pole fishing as im sure you know, its all about balanced tackle.

The latest xrs has had fish to 56lb caught on it in testing abroard.

I do share your views about the 12lb straight through and snags.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts chaps. I think am going to drop my leger into the swim using my existing pole cup........ and hang on when I hook one. I

must admit I don't fancy 12lb straight through as a solution

slime monster

Reaction score
If you have a Centrepin reel it is the perfect hit and hold tool , dont become preoccupied with fishing hard against bushes etc come away into your comfort zone if the Carp are having it they will come out for food if none is closer . remember that pole elastic has a stretch factor of x 6 to give you an idea where a powerful fish could take you.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
Ahh my 'pin now that might be just the answer. I'm more used to fishing for Chub with it with6lb mainline but since it's the close season. I can feel a re-spool coming on. ;o)