Layers Mash

Shagpile

Reaction score
I am goin to Ireland soon and am lookin at differant ground bait additives. I came across Layers Mash on a website,and it seems a very cheap bulk bait to use when 'ballin in'.

I am hoping somebody can give me an idea of a decent mix to be used for Bream,perhaps using Vitalin in conjunction with layers mash,I have thought of experimenting with Vitalin,layers mash,brown crumb,ground hemp,fishmeal,plus usual additives such as corn and dead maggot. Does layers mash contain fishmeal???One site i looked at says No yet another says Yes.

The amount of bait i am taking for a week in ireland for 2 anglers is ; 75kilo brown crumb,25kilo vitalin,2Gallon of maggot,2kilo of worm,2 large bags of frozen corn,crushed hemp,and some bags of fishmeal if needed,is this an excessive amount,considering 2 of us are gonna be pre-baiting heavily for the week.

Any help/advice would be great please....

GoodOldBoy

Reaction score
Shagpile.

There is also Layers Pellet that you can purchase as well. I admit i have not used this myself. Just another option for you.

Layers mash contains:

Wheat, Wheatfeed, Full Fat Soya, Limestone, Dehulled Soya, Maize, Beans, Barley, Grass Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Methionine, Vitamin & Trace Element.

Info above pulled from:

http://store.dodsonandhorrell.com/products/layers-mash

Good luck

slime monster

Reaction score
Some time ago i bought a sack of layers mash to bulk groundbait out ,after trials with it i gave it away it seemed to instantly reduce my catches ,not saying its crap it just did not work for me.

Paul C

Reaction score
From my own personal experience of visiting ireland for the last 20 years, the only thing I would change is I would take more corn and some tinned stuff.

We always took trays of the large tins sainsburys had (probably double the size of the standard cans). You can't beat the juice from the tin as a sweet additive to the crumb for me. Something you lose with frozen corn.

Where ever I have been it's been one of the key baits and always sorts out the better fish, although it's usually summer when I've been over there.

Shagpile

Reaction score
I can get some free from a mate who owns a cow mills,so will feed two swims one using vitalin which I have had some good results with,and the other with layers mash.I have read that its a good bulker for groundbait,but i dont think its an attractant,so will have to add corn,dead maggot,brasem,plus other ingredients to attract and hold bream in the swim.

Should prove interesting i reckon.

Paul C

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add that if you are looking to bulk it up with a cheap additive, best thing I have used is flaked maize. Just soak it for 10 mins and it also helps to bind the crumb.

We always bought it over there as there is an animal feed place in every town and it's cheap as chips for a sack.

Shagpile

Reaction score
Thanks Paul,I did think about buying a couple of trays of corn from lidl,but opening all them tins had put me off a bit.

I will look into flaked maize,when i get out there as at the moment my mates people carrier is gonna be scraping the floor wid all the kit and bait we are takin.Funny thing is I work for a bakery and can get brown crumb,but taking 4 bags with us plus probably 20 or 30 kilo of vitalin and all the corn,+ wheat,really aint an option,shame really cos the crumb,wheat,maize,I can get for nothing.

We are going to fish Loch Gowna,do you have any info that might be of help,as this is the first time we have been there,and i understand that its a huge complex of lakes/lochs,on a scale we aint used to here in Blighty.

Paul C

Reaction score
Yes, I know Gowna well. Fished it plenty of times and know the area.

I'll send you a PM with some details later, which might give you a few pointers.

Oddly enough, Gowna was one of the few places we fished where we didn't really need to pre-bait, but it was well fished at the time, so the popular areas always had bait going in them.

I understand it's been fishing well these past few years, although catches these days tend to consist of larger numbers of roach and skimmers with fewer bream whereas it was pretty much all bream at one stage. If you fish the pole or waggler, take them with you, as the matches are usually won on the pole these days and it's no longer an out and out feeder venue.

Shagpile

Reaction score
Hey that sounds spot on,as I really did not want to spend a week sat on the feeder,i do fish the pole,and sometimes waggler ugh,aint really happy on the waggler,but if its gonna catch fish then i will persevere wid it.Thanks mate,will wait wid BAITED breath ,so to speak .

Paul C

Reaction score