Are Shakespeare rods under rated?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I've ahd the Shakespeare 10 ft bomb wand for 18 months now and realy rate it as a superb light tip rod - for winter fishing it's the 1st rod I pick - I've used the lightest tip 1/2oz and roach put up a good fight on this set up - I've also had a 3 - 4lb bonus winter carp and the rod coped well

I've read other FM's saying that Shaky do some good rods and reels - is it snobbery that stops people owning shakespeare gear or is it just lack of big name angler promoting the tackle that stops it getting mentioned oftern

The next time I want a rod I'll be looking at a Shaky and comparing it against "name" rods - - not sure if I can give up the Shimnao reels yet though/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

njb51

Reaction score
I find their rods a bit hit and miss. Some of their feeder rods would be better suitedas light carp rods. I find them a bit overgunned to be any good for their intended application. They do some nice carp rods though. The 'Tetra' range for example..

E

EC

M'lud I bought a Shaky MachIII match rod last year for light-er line fishing. It's really good, I'm fortunate that I live next toa BIG tackle shop and could compare it with the best of shimano, daiwa,tricast etc.

I won't say that it was 'better' than the aforementioned absolute top of the range kit, but it certainly felt as good or better thanmost of the rest, and for about half the price. I wouldn't think twice about looking again, although as Jonny says, some of their ranges are more/lesssuitable for certain jobs.

Re: the Shimano reels m'lud, I have a few shimano's and apart from one standard fault with an old 6010 have never had any grief, however, i can definitely vouch for a few of the newer abu's.

One I got for light quiver tipping on the local river £23 and it has all the toys of a shimano, and another 2 baitrunners I bought for tench and barbel fishing, these have been used for for the last 2 years and have probably seen 60 sessions, tremendous value.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

In the past, Shakespeare certainly made some very nice gear at competitive prices, and some of the consultants used were thoroughly knowledgable and skilful anglers. Can I name a few:

Graham Marsden, Barrie Rickards, Steve Parton, Ian Heaps, to say nothing of several very expertUSA anglers.

I used a lot of their bass fishing and trout gear, including baitcasting and fly rods. There was certainly nothing wrong with such gear.

Shakespeare were the first company in the world to market a carbon fibre fly rod.

The Pfleuger Trion fly reel of today is one of the best around for the money. Pfleuger, a pioneer of the modern multiplying reel, is owned by Shakespeare.

Lark

Reaction score
I certainly reckon that some ofthe older Shakespeare rods were definitely underrrated.

My old Superteam Wand is first choice for light river and cut legering. The 11ft twin tip is stilla perfect chub rod(on which I've also landed very decent barbel without any hassle). The avon top section is brilliant for those days when I fancy using a swing-tip for tench, roach and crucians.

I used Excaliber 13ft rods for many, manyyears for my stick and wag fishing and I couldn't fault them. Although the Mk II Borons were in a league of their own, I think the President range was a pretty good follow-up.

Ron's point about their use of some of the best anglers around asconsultants is a very valid one. Historically, they've had a lot of good people helping to design their gear.Add that tothe fact that a mate of mine was getting me about 40% discounton new Shakespeare kit around the turn of the 90's and it's a bit of a no-brainer really!

I haven't got any modern Shaky rods but I would definitely recommend the Mach 3 Front Drag reels to anyone, a real pleasure to use- absolute topquality for a pretty silly price considering what you get.

Paul C

Reaction score
I've got two shakespeare float rods in recent years and very much like them both.

I also did the tackle shop comparision and was prepared to buy something more expensive, but thought what's the point when it's well and truly upto the job at half the price?

My 15ft float rod has caught everything from minnows to 9lb+ barbel and is light enought to stand and use all day long.

I'd buy their rods again no problem.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You must remember that any item of tackle that carries a name, is going to be more expensive than one that doesn't. This is because a certain amount of the retail price of the item is allocated to the "name".

There is a lot of gear around that is well made and will do the job it is intended to do. Because it does not carry the name of a well known angler does not mean it is inferior.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Well put Ron - I think this is why Shakeaspeare tackle is cheaper than other brand on the market.

Having just bought my 1st fly rod and reel - I got a shakespeare rod for just over £20 and a reel woth spare spoll for £10 - both are more than adiquate for my fly fishing skills

Chris Season32

Reaction score
I bought a Shakespeare Clubmaster Match 13" in 1989 and really liked it. Since then I've owned several more expensive float rods, non of them gave me as much pleasure as the shakey and I always went back to it (landed carp to 15-2oz). Two years ago a battle with 13lb lump finally slackened its joints and I gave it up for spares/repairson freecycle.. I miss that rod. /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader> Lord Paul of Sheffield( PaSC) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Having just bought my 1st fly rod and reel - I got a shakespeare rod for just over £20 and a reel woth spare spoll for £10 - both are more than adiquate for my fly fishing skills</blockquote>

I've seen your body-doubles fly fishing skills, m'lud. You've been very harsh!

"Both have coped beyond compare given my fly fishing skills" would be far fairer to the tackle!

Got to dash...my new fly rod has broken down sobbing again and is refusing to come out of its bag!!

john berry 4

Reaction score
I own 3 Shakespeare rods, I also have rods costing twice their price but put the Shakeys to more use because they just feel right and do what it says on the tin.

TIGHTLINES.