New Brolly

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
What brolly would people recommend for general day use?
(I have a JRC brolly/bivvy thing for overnighters).

My ideal would be a large diameter - 50 inches or so - lightweight but robust with pegging down loops and if possible somehow more telescopic than usual to make roving easier.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Leeda Super Nubrolli 50 inch, Not to heavy and rugged, hard to beat IMO. RRP £49, but I've seen them advertised for as little as £27+p&p ;)

The length of a collapsed brolly is limited by the length of the ribs and position of the locking screw/mechanism (Its beyond the end of the ribs so when collapsed it can't damage the fabric if placed in a rod bag). You could cut the insert pole down to minimise length (flush at the locking screw/mechanism) at the expense of a few inches of hieght adjustment. I've not encountered any fishing brollies that incorporate a hinged rib system like that seen in compact hand brollies, presumably for strength reasons.

Last edited:

Paul H

Reaction score
Cheers chris,

I've not seen hinged rib ones either but wondered if someone else might have.

I think they're all much of a muchness probably although some are probably lighter than others.

My existing one is 45 inch diameter and has developed a few leaks which i could probably fix but it's my birthday soon.

Lark

Reaction score
Paul,
I've been using the Leeda 50" Nubroli for a few seasons now for short to medium sessions and I can't fault it. Strong, well made with the larger 'flat-back' panel design with pegging points.
I've rigged it up with 4 storm caps. With the centre pole positioned either at the back or removed altogether you get tons of room under it and it's very sturdy.

Paul H

Reaction score
Cheers chaps, just out of interest as you've both mentioned it and I've read it in the descriptions of brollies as well - what on earth is 'Nubrolly'?

I have deducted it's a type of brolly but can't see anywhere how it differs from an 'oldbrolly'.

Reaction score
what on earth is 'Nubrolly'

I might not be 100% correct, but what I know as a Nubrolli is:

The central stem screws off after you have put the brolli up and you can screw it in at an angle near the top of the stem. This pushes teh stem right back out of the way giving more room under the brolli - as opposed to the type that tilts below where the slidy thing locks.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Thats right Matt, its all down to the central pole. If you can connect storm sticks to the sides of the brolly you can remove the central pole completely for extra room.
Paul, with the nubrollie pole at the back of the brolly, the brolly stands almost upright and you could possibly stand up underneath it depending on how tall you are. I'm nearly 5.11 and have no problem standing under the brolly. The bottom of the brolly nearly touches the ground behind you, great as a wind break.

Matt Gardner

Reaction score
Im using a Leeda Nubrolli 50 inch can anyone tell me if the Korum is any lighter. The leeda weighs a ton. the korum looks much better quality