Harrison Avon Rod vs Fox Duo Lite

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I've had a play with my friends Harrison 11' 1lb 6oz Avon and compared it side by side to my 11' Fox Duo Lite Barbel 1.5lb TC. With line through both rods and the same amount of force applied they had equal actions, or negligible difference.

The Harrison feels lighter in the hand but with a reel both rods felt similar and well balanced.

The Fox is very nicely finished as is the Harrison.

The Pure Piscator website has a review which is possibly swinging me to part with some cash and change the Fox's for a rod with a proven "shelf life"

Jury is still out for the time being unless I can borrow my friends rod for a session.

I also looked at the Harrison GTi reviews, but after speaking with Harrisons I've been told by the manufacturer's the difference is negligible.

Does anyone have any experience of either rod good or bad?

Reaction score
I have the Harrison Avon 1lb 6oz - I have the Avon top and an additional top with a 3 oz quiver.

My opinion?

It's an excellent rod.

Light and responsive with plenty of back bone in reserve when its needed. It's very forgiving when you have a good fish thrashing about under the rod tip and plenty of power for a 'long' cast.

I use it on the Ribble with the quiver when I want to fish 'light' and I have used it on still waters with the Avon top and a bite indicator.

So far it has landed me chub, roach, eels, tench, bream and carp.

To top it off, it's a rod built in Britain by a British company. I will be buying another one.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Andy,having read your comparisom why would you want to change?

Hi Fred. After I found out the lead times for a custom build I bought the Fox's as a stop gap. As the Harrison Avon has been around unchanged for quite some time, and other manufacturer's Fox, Greys etc seem to change models when the wind changes direction, I wondered if anyone had any "long term experience" of the Fox.

The single legs on the Fox also have me worried as I have a tendancy to bend single leg rings during transportation.

Mr. Cholmondeley-Corker's comments are swaying me the way I should go - Harrison.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
After giving it some careful thought and realising common sense after speaking to Fred, the Fox rods have come out on top.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Got to say the fox duo lite 11ft 1lb 8oz tc is a cracking rod

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Not so much of the newcomer! LOL.

I seem to have lost all my old postings when the site moved :(

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Andy, sorry I'm a bit late on this, but here goes anyway!

I've had the 1.5lb tc Fox barbel special for some time now, certainly around 5 or 6 years, possibly longer. It's been a great rod and not given me any problems despite a lot of abuse. I bought the Fox Avon Duo (1lb tc)a couple of years ago and this has also been excellent. The interesting thing is that the sections are interchangeable on these rods and it looks like Fox's supplier haven't changed the mandrel dimensions for some time. This means that although Fox might do a bit of cosmetic work, the blanks are essentially the same and are very well proven.