Kelly kettle question

Reaction score
I know many of you use a Kelly Kettle and swear by it.

As it uses natural fuel such as grass, paper sticks, etc - does it get coated in black soot?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I love to use the Kelly Kettle and do so whenever I am able to, usually on the rivers.

The inside chimney can get covered in sooty deposits but it is an easy clen-up job when you get home. I keep mine in a shopping bag in the car after use.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I'm glad you brought this Subject up.
I wasn't entirely sure what a Kelly Kettle was, so i looked it up on Google, then i watched someone showing you how to use one on You Tube.
I must say this looks a very good piece of kit.
I was thinking of getting myself a 1.75 pint kettle, i've seen them advertised for about £37.00p.
What do you do if it's been raining for a few days and then you go fishing, can you still use the damp twigs and stuff you find lying around, or do you have an alternative??

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you do if it's been raining for a few days and then you go fishing, can you still use the damp twigs and stuff you find lying around, or do you have an alternative??

Fire lighters, they are cheep and one packet does not take up to much room in you rucksack/bag, also they are easy to light even when damp.

Jimmy.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
I’ve had the smaller Kelly kettle for ages and they are excellent for making tea. The inside ‘chimney’ does get sooty but it doesn’t affect the taste of the tea at all.

I keep a few twigs, dry leaves and a few bits of newspaper in a small plastic bag in my rucksack in the event of damp weather. As others have said, you can also take a firelighter or two.

Although they are pricey, mine has lasted the best part of ten years and was a good investment. Once you have tasted fresh brewed tea from a Kelly Kettle, you won’t want to go back to a flask.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

I keep a stock of 'fuel' at home, and suplement it with dry stuff as and when on the river bank.

For the day's fuel I store this inside the chimney of the Kelly. I think that was a tip I got from Fred.

We did do a couple of Reviews on the Kelly Kettle that were on the old FM site too.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i recycle cardboard box`s by tearing them into small pieces and i have a small sack of firewood from the local garage which i take a few out and break up into kindling .you get used too spotting suitable items when your out & about fishing .

the utensils are basic but ok ,not done too much cooking on mine .i like too keep it simple .did get adventurous once i made scrambled egg`s and fish in butter source (ok so it was boil in the bag fish) i had a small knobb of butter from a cafe i did the scrambled eggs in .too be honest i`d cracked the eggs so i whiped them together in a beaker ,and the fish i had with me too do on its own .but it did make a nice meal

i`ve cooked saugages on the griddle over the base ,and done toast by leaning the bread against the water jacket next too the base.

its all part of the adventure

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd love to get one, however, most of the clubs I'm in ban the use of stoves.

I think I prefer the ease and small size of my gas stove. I'm in the same position as you as my club doesn't allow the use of stoves and I just can't see any reason for the rule. It seems like a pointless rule which can actually spoil a cold days fishing due to not being able to have a freshly made hot drink to warm you up and refresh you..

dezza

Reaction score
I have one and it works a treat. Don't worry about the soot, it improves the taste of the tea.

But it's only you southern softies who would worry about a bit of soot.

Reaction score
While you daft Northerners are revelling in your memories of industrial misery those clever southerners have created a futures market in soot and lured naive Northern Financial Institutions to invest squillions. Plus ca change!:wh

(But no worries for you Ron, my Durham born mother regarded Yorkshire as the start of the soft south anyway!)