Okuma 'pin half price at Mullarkeys

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
A great deal whatever! Woooo am I tempted, but I have enough, I think. :D:confused:

Only thing that ever bothered my about that design was the star drag and it being on the inside of the spool. Imagine, fish runs, spool spinning like crazy and you want to adjust the drag. Here's someone who's been testing one -
K-01.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A great deal whatever! Woooo am I tempted, but I have enough, I think. :D:confused:

Only thing that ever bothered my about that design was the star drag and it being on the inside of the spool. Imagine, fish runs, spool spinning like crazy and you want to adjust the drag.

Maybe that's why its half price...isn't selling because people are thinking exactly the same.I did !

T'other day there were brand new Okime Sheffields on the bay for the same money.Better choice IMO but I've already got one,dammit !

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Okime ? What was that all about... I meant of course OKUMA !

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Still there...Tacklediscounts have 3 BNIB Sheffields [allegedly] at 99.99 plus a fiver p&p.That's a great deal for a brilliant reel...and its the proper silver one too.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I wasn't waiting for two reels off Chris Lythe I'd get another sheffield I like em so much.

plazapeople

Reaction score
okuma trent

hi, just purchased an okuma trent. what a great reel, regarding the drag just set it and forget it. still room to spin with your fingers in the spokes. when you turn the ratchet switch the drag is on. very well built reel i will use mine for pike fishing.

thagamest1

Reaction score
okuma centre pins

I am confused as usual. Sitting at home and unable to get my hands on the actual goods I need to come to an informed decision on the Okuma range ( I cannot afford the de luxe pins ! ) I already have an Aventa Pro and wish to add a further reel but cannot see the working differences between the TRENT, SHEFFIELD and KENNET models and the prices on offer are all very similar. In fact the Trent is now v. cheap really. Opinion on these threads seems to veer towards the Sheffield but why, when compared with a Kennet at the same price ? Some enlightenment from the assembled multitudes will be v. much appreciated. I will be using it for slow rivers, laying on and margins on Spanish resevoirs. Your opinions please Peter Barton

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
I am confused as usual. Sitting at home and unable to get my hands on the actual goods I need to come to an informed decision on the Okuma range ( I cannot afford the de luxe pins ! ) I already have an Aventa Pro and wish to add a further reel but cannot see the working differences between the TRENT, SHEFFIELD and KENNET models and the prices on offer are all very similar. In fact the Trent is now v. cheap really. Opinion on these threads seems to veer towards the Sheffield but why, when compared with a Kennet at the same price ? Some enlightenment from the assembled multitudes will be v. much appreciated. I will be using it for slow rivers, laying on and margins on Spanish resevoirs. Your opinions please Peter Barton

sheffield Vs Kennet

the Kennet:
the Kennet has a 3/4 fixed line guard ,which the top rail sits quite high ,it is level too the rim of the spool which makes batting the drum quite awkward ,you having too angle your striking hand in order too make enough contact with the rim .

the line guard is a cage type with integral support posts which are not conjusive too wallis casting .

the ratchet knobb is siturated in a rather awkward position at the bottom of the reels rear plate .making it differcult to operate in use .

one thing in the older kennets favour was its colour being black ,but the 2009 / 10 model is silver / naturel alloy and not so pretty .

the sheffield:
is / has none of the above :wh

sheffield Vs trent
The Trent:
the trent is blue and has a drag which maybe a bonus in some siturations ,the sttar drag may or maynot be obstructive too twizzlers ,people who twirl the spool with a finger in the gap between the spokes .(a lot depends on wether you have fat digits or not .Its also doesn't have a nasty fixed line guard so a bonus there .did i mention its blue .theres nothing overtly wrong with them unless you dont like drags on centrepins .

the sheffield:
is / has none of the above :wh with could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it .

on reflection ,i like the sheffields ,the trents are ok ,the Kennet well i kind of like mine ,but i have half butchered the line guard ,too make it more useable when wallis casting ,and i think i'll be butchering another half of it too make batting the drum easier ,the last half i may well leave where it is as it does no harm and a little good .and my advice would be if you think you'll need a drag buy the trent ,if not buy the sheffield .

Last edited:

thagamest1

Reaction score
okuma reels

Thanks for an excellent analysis answering my queries exactly. Sheffield appears to be a clear winner as I have never felt the need for a line guard and the ratchet system on the Trent looks to me to be a design /marketing foul up. Thanks for your help. Peter

wiganstu

Reaction score
surely the star drag in question is only for ledgering purposes ??
once it is set to just hold against the current thats the end of it

if so , why would you need to adjust it during the fight ?
just use your thumb as usual ???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
surely the star drag in question is only for ledgering purposes ??
once it is set to just hold against the current thats the end of it

if so , why would you need to adjust it during the fight ?
just use your thumb as usual ???

Yeah your right about the drag being mainly for ledgering purposes but if your not botherd about fishing rivers with strong currents it's pretty useless. The star drag is also in the way if you want to wind back with your finger in one of the holes/gaps. That's most probably why they make the two models of reel.