Pellet Waggler Rods

oiyou

Reaction score
Is the Pellet Waggler Rod an advertisers ploy to get us to buy yet another rod or does it really bring something new to the table?

The reason I ask is I've just bought one 11' pellet waggler rod and plan on getting another 12' pellet waggler for those bigger lumps but am now wondering if some of my existing rod collection would do the same job ie; my Normark Neo Carp although a quiver/bomb rod is nice and bendy and would cushion a take close in..

Or perhaps even one of my Barbel rods with the quiver top fitted? The handle is probably longer than ideal though but I could cut some of it off!;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think its both.

I bought an 11ft pellet waggler and found it to be an extraordinarily versatile litle rod.I've used it for what it was intended but also,because its got a bit of backbone,I've found it a very useful rod for perch,chub & for tight swims on the river. I've used it to fish a lead in the margins and it will even cope with a small method.
feeder. Its among the most versatile rods I own and goes everywhere with me. I tend to think of it as a light avon rod.For the money [they're not expensive] I think they are brilliant.I've got two now.

A barbel quiver would probably work but it might be a bit heavy and awkward.I think I'd go with the purpose designed rod. The Shakespeare range are excellent value.

oiyou

Reaction score
I think its both.

I bought an 11ft pellet waggler and found it to be an extraordinarily versatile litle rod.I've used it for what it was intended but also,because its got a bit of backbone,I've found it a very useful rod for perch,chub & for tight swims on the river. I've used it to fish a lead in the margins and it will even cope with a small method feeder.

I presume those other uses are for when you are travelling light and don't have a quiver/feeder rod with you? How do you detect bites when ledgering? Hold the line or watch the line as it enters the water?

Its among the most versatile rods I own and goes everywhere with me. I tend to think of it as a light avon rod.For the money [they're not expensive] I think they are brilliant.I've got two now.

Which two did you opt for? I've ordered the Browning Syntec Pellet Waggler at 11' - if I do decide to get a 12' model it'll probably be the Shakespeare Mach 3 12'

A barbel quiver would probably work but it might be a bit heavy and awkward.I think I'd go with the purpose designed rod. The Shakespeare range are excellent value.

True, it seems speed plays an important part in pellet waggler fishing and the shorter handle and lower weight would allow me to rest the rod on my leg whilst pulting out some more pellets. I see some anglers who can tuck their rod in one arm and still manage to accurately catapult some feed out - not sure if I could do that myself. Certainly not with a barbel rod!

preston96

Reaction score
I picked up an 11ft two piece pellet rod yesterday, it was a fox.........i was very impressed with it, not as a pellet rod, but as a light Avon type for roach and perch......it would cast small feeders and small lives and be soft tipped......at least thats the impresion i got and i am considering a couple for just those reasons.

For some reason "avons" have moved up from 1lb/11/4lb to 1.5 to 1.75 ( switched to decimal purposly :wh).........to me a 1.75tc rod is a light carp rod!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Norman

To answer your queries

Its just a permanent member of my rod quiver.Bite detection depends on what I'm doing...might be rod top,line,float or even bobbin.

I've got a Drennan Puddle chucker and a Shakey Mach 3. The Drennan is [I think] a bit more bullish than the Shaky which has a bit more finesse.They are both little belters.

I'm not persuaded by the advantages these things are supposed to have for commercial pellet waggler fishing...but I dont do that regularly enough to notice. I do use them for that but mainly because I like to fish the marghins with a centrepin and these are spot on for that.Lovely all through action.

Paul

I agree totally. These are as near to being a "proper" Avon rod in action as I've seen for ages.Perfect IMO for big roach,chub,perch etc. or any situation when you dont want a rod with a 1.5 tc or higher. Blimey...when I was a boy a 1.5lb tc rod was the standard carp rod.

I cannot honestly see a downside to having one of these tucked in your quiver.Delightful little things.

Skippy

preston96

Reaction score
I would love a trial with them Skippy, perhaps F8x will loan us a couple?:wh

maver man

Reaction score
I usually use a small 10-9ft very soft tip when pellets waggler fishing simply because the soft tip enable me to cast reasonably far and they are extremely light.

I use this with 6lb mono

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Apologies for raising a 2 year old plus thread.

I just wondered if you guys were still using the pellet waggler rods as a light bomb/avon rod?

I've a Drennan Pellet Waggler and wondered if it's up to casting 1/2oz bombs - I'd guess at yes, as a pellet waggler could weigh more.