Shimano Baitrunner Aero GTE

Adam Fras

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one of these for my barbel fishing. Any opinions? Is it worth buying?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

click the link at the top in red Adam (where it says Shimano Baitrunner Aero GTE)

J

john conway

Adam, I'm using one on the Ribble for Barbel and so far I'm well pleased. Picked mine up at last years Birmingham’s National Exhibitions Centre Fish-in for ?75. I've asked my local tackle dealer to see if he can pick up another reel for me. Don't mind paying up to ?85/?90

D

Dave Silvers

Adam I use a pair of Aero GTE 6000s for carp fishing, can't fault em, although I'm sure someone on this forum will.

J

John Hepworth

I have two GTE 5000's, absolute crap. Been back to their service dept, after first being told to superglue where the bail arm had come away from the housing. From the start on both reels the clutch settings have had to be done using a full fist rather than thumb and finger. On both reels when retrieving a feeder etc, the spindle snatches and sounds like a cement mixer, and line lay is terrible. The graphics on the spools are of silver like sellotape, which only after light use is peeling off. Put me off buying another Shimano product ever again.(first and last) It took me several phone calls and a letter for them to agree to take them back for "REPAIR" as they were only just out of warranty. Dont think they know about "fit for the purpose"

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Just the sort of review that should be going into the Member Review section so that anyone considering buying these reels can see John's opinion of them. This is what the Member Review section is all about - an easily accessible database of user opinion of the tackle they use for the benefit of FM visitors.

But it won't work unless you feed it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Guys, guys, guys. Isn't a 6000 just a tad too big for barbel fishing? I use a Super Aero 4000 R, Super Aero 4000 GTM (bit too fast) or a simple Arnold Kingpin centre pin. Is everyone using boilies and bolt rigs nowadays for everything?

It's a pity Shimano no longer do a 4000 baitrunner any more, but I think you can get a 5000 still.

J

john conway

My 5000 Shimano Baitrunner Aero GTE seems OK size wise and no not everyone is using boilies. All my rigs, Barbel & Chub, are running leger set-ups. There has been some debate that all leger rigs are bolt rigs, however, with the bait-runner set just to hold flow, it’s as near as you can get to free lining. As for boilies, and I assume you also mean pellet as well, then yes I suppose 80% of my Barbel catches this year have been on pellet and past but I’ve also caught them on worm, bread, maggot and caster. My reel is not yet a year old but so far it’s a superb reel and as I’ve said I’m looking for another one.
John H, so far you are the only person I’ve come across who’s had a really bad experience with GTE 5000's. However, I’ll bear your experience in mind and if anyone else in the next couple of weeks comes up with further bad reviews then I may have to reconsider buying another Shimano Baitrunner Aero GTE

W

Wolfman Woody

Geees, I thought you two Johns were related or do you share the same stylist? ;-)

I just wonder, John C, why the need for a baitrunner all the time. Yes, I use the same running leger, sometimes a Drennan Oval feeder full of seeds and meat stopped by a couple of rubber beads, but I like to hold the rod. Put the fighting drag on it's lightest setting and when I get a bite flick it over to its tightest setting. Easy enough, but everyone to his own.

And I've used halibut pellets and made my own boilies this year for barbel. So I guess I'm a hypocrite as well. What's new.

J

john conway

>Why the bait-runner all the time?<
I don’t see the need for loads of reels so I’ve gone for the 5000, which covers all my needs on the river Ribble and the Lune. I don’t always use the bait runner feature and I also touch leger with this reel. If I put the rod down, on goes the bait-runner clutch. If I’m fishing with a second suicide rod the suicide rod is always the one with the bait-runner reel. One reel at the moment, hopefully two in the future, with several spare spools of different breaking strain line or braid.
Re John H, Hmmm I’ll have to have a word with my Mum she didn’t say anything about a brother in the family?

W

Wolfman Woody

Got to admit John, I really fancied a 4000 baitrunner once, but just like life, by the time you've got the money to burn, the flame's gone out. 5000 sounds a good option, but The Management might have something to say about buying one!

And guess what, I went fishing last night - with a BOILIE - blanked yet again though. The river is sick!!!

Phil Gilleard

Reaction score
I have three GTE5000 reels and any two have been in use nearly every day for the last six months.(All three if The Management is with me.)
I have used them with method feeder, open feeder and waggler fishing for carp and silverfish.
So far, touch wood, I have had no problems with them. They have a very smooth action and I find both the fighting drag and the baitrunner easy to adjust with a very light touch.
As most of the carp I have caught on my local pond are between 7 lb and 15 lb and fight like mad I feel that the reels have had a good test.
I would not hesitate to reccommend them to anyone.

Got to go to the pond for a couple of hours.

J

jason fisher

i've got 2 5010 baitrunners that i've used for 6 years, i am not thinking of replacing them with anything, there is nothing wrong with them, the only attention they have needed in that time is a light yearly serice from me.
they are without doubt the 2 best reels that i own, and may be the best reels i will ever own.
they are brilliant.

smithy

Reaction score
i own 1 but the only thing i dont like about them is the handle moves to much backwards but i think its because i use a stradic most of the time and cant go back to movement but none the less great reel

Barry Pickett

Reaction score
anyone got remarks about the shimano 5000re baitrunners? am thinking about getting an okuma epic pro baitrunner? any advice?

P

Phil Hackett 2

Barry see my review in tackle and bait if you not already

M

michael rouse

The clutch on my aero 8000 has really proved poor over the last few fish i'v had.It just jammed when i playing a fish!

B

Big Rik

when was the last time it was serviced Michael?
Probably full of mud from the winter.

M

michael rouse

Never been serviced.I'v had the one with the bad clutch since Christmas!