10ft float rods...

Reaction score
I'm looking for a modest priced 10ft float rod,why modest,because it will only be used rarely,fishing for the big roach that frequent my small river venue,I will use it to lay on,possibly with a pole float,the rod mustn't be a broom handle so as not to lose these fish iv lucky enough to tempt a bite,any suggestions??

mikench

Reaction score
I cannot speak too highly of the Greys Toreon Tactical float rod which is 10' with a 6" dolly butt. It's discontinued but can be found for around £60. It's an amazing rod and a pleasure to use. Others on here have bought one and can express their own opinions. I have 2 just in case.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I'm happy with the Greys as you know but suspect it might be a bit soft for rivers. As I don't fish rivers it's hard to say but that's my gut feeling.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This Greys rod has become my "rod of the year". I still regard myself as a novice angler and to have landed two double figure wild carp on a 3lb hooklength says more about the rod than it does my skillset.

I too fish a small river trotting for roach, has to be worth trying as an experiment.

My only sadness is that I didn't buy a spare rod when they were still just £50, has to be the bargain of the year. If they are still available at £70 to £80 I'd still say they were great value.

john step

Reaction score
I think a 10foot rod suitable for that venue will be a hard thing to source at a modest price. Just a thought. Have you got an old float rod lurking in the back of the shed that you could shorten at the butt end as a project?

mikench

Reaction score
Bobco seem to have them in stock at £70.

Reaction score
As I said in my opening post,it would be a rod that sits in its tube rarely used,I have I think a 10ft pellet waggler rod in the back of my tackle room which would be passable,trouble is these fish are fish of a lifetime and if not right could well be lost,i've even thought of using the Darent Valley 11ft,which is more Avon rod action wise,but could possible be used,these fish don't take a bait,turning away sticking two fingers at you as they do,so different things have to be tried,inevitably I will fail,but my determined nature pushes me on...

Reaction score
Right,thanks for your suggestions,but,i've been where no man has been before and dug out the 10ft rod,it turns out it its an okuma carbonite match rod and will do the job,not a brilliant action,it was bought to fish tight bird cage swims on the Ousel,I had several chub on it,plus roach,its more than good enough,it will give me a chance of playing any sneaky chub or barbel that creeps in....