15lb Diawa Sensor - Where are you?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Obviously, I do not know the venues you chaps are fishing, nor do I know the sizes of fish you catch. 15lb lines are way out of my comfort zone.

A lot of club, syndicate, and commercial, big carp waters are imposing minimum line strengths in their rules. Very often that minimum is 15lb.

Philip

Reaction score
The ONLY thing Sensor has going for it is that its cheap and if that matters to you then fair enough and good for you. Personally I think there are loads of lines miles better than that stuff and if it means paying a bit more then,imo,its money well spent. I will not compromise on lines or hooks as to do so is to miss the point by some distance.

Each to theoir own I guess. Given that its been used to land several record fish by some well known anglers who have access to just about anything I suspect its not JUST down to price.

I guess we all use what we are confident in and opinions will differ. For example I believe you like Gardner lines....I can honestly say the worst line I ever used bar none was a Gardner one...I got it from Graham Marsden here at FM, it was 12lb test and it was diabolical. Broke for no apparent reason right in the middle of hooklinks. Perhaps. I had a bad spool I have no idea but it was without doubt the most awful stuff I have ever used.

Last edited:

Old fisher

Reaction score
My go to line for Carp and Barbel has always been Gold Label Pro-Gold line because of its suppleness and excellent abrasion resistance and reliability and also its colour (when fishing straight through on very clear streams and rivers); but it has become extremely hard if not impossible to find now.

So although I’ve always disliked Diawa Sensor in the past because of its memory and its shiney brown surface I decided to bite the bullet and buy a bulk spool of of this 15lb Diawa Sensor which everyone seems to like these days; maybe it’s not as bad as I had previously thought I reasoned ?

However everywhere seems to be ‘out of stock’ of 15lb Diawa Sensor too so unless somebody can tell me where I can order a bulk spool of 15lb Diawa Sensor (I need to fill four Shimano baitrunner spools with it) I will be forced to buy a possible lesser line :oops: :)

Thats unless somebody can help me!

NB: It has to be 15lb test because of club rules

Keith
Hi Keith. Sometime ago I made enquiries about Pro Gold as this was also my favourite mono line. The company no longer made it, I believe the production cost was too high. I favoured 15lbs b.s. for my carp & pike fishing. Although the stated b.s. was 15lbs the line was found in tests to break at , if I remember correctly 22 lbs. that is why it was such a good line

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
My go to line for Carp and Barbel has always been Gold Label Pro-Gold line because of its suppleness and excellent abrasion resistance and reliability and also its colour (when fishing straight through on very clear streams and rivers); but it has become extremely hard if not impossible to find now.

So although I’ve always disliked Diawa Sensor in the past because of its memory and its shiney brown surface I decided to bite the bullet and buy a bulk spool of of this 15lb Diawa Sensor which everyone seems to like these days; maybe it’s not as bad as I had previously thought I reasoned ?

However everywhere seems to be ‘out of stock’ of 15lb Diawa Sensor too so unless somebody can tell me where I can order a bulk spool of 15lb Diawa Sensor (I need to fill four Shimano baitrunner spools with it) I will be forced to buy a possible lesser line :oops: :)

Thats unless somebody can help me!

NB: It has to be 15lb test because of club rules

Keith
Keith, check out Billy Clarks online in Sheffield.
He does bulk spools of Daiwa sensor in 15lb bs at £10—99.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Keith. In the tests I mentioned for Pro Gold, in those same tests Daiwa Sensor Brown 15lb b.s. broke at 17.63lbs b.s. whilst Daiwa Sensor clear 15lbs b.s. broke at 21.37 lbs b.s.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi again Keith
I have just checked online and Angling Direct have 10+ spools of Sensor 15lbs bs at £10-99p

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks Old Fisher, however as was recommended to me by others earlier in this thread; I’ve already filled my spools up with ‘ESP Syncro XT’ which has been excellent so far, and I’ve landed several big Carp and two fairly large catfish on the ESP Syncro XT line already (y)

It isn’t quite as supple as Pro Gold was; plus it has a bit more memory compared to Pro Gold so tends to spring off the spool a bit, but not as much as some other lines I’ve tried. However it certainly seems to be a good reliable line in the absence of Pro Gold.

Thanks again.

Keith

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
I've used Sensor for years, almost exclusively for Sea Fishing on my Multipliers and found it excellent, even if it is a bit wirey.
I have noticed that over the years it does seem to have become considerably more supple, making it even better imo.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Thanks Old Fisher, however as was recommended to me by others earlier in this thread; I’ve already filled my spools up with ‘ESP Syncro XT’ which has been excellent so far, and I’ve landed several big Carp and two fairly large catfish on the ESP Syncro XT line already (y)

It isn’t quite as supple as Pro Gold was; plus it has a bit more memory compared to Pro Gold so tends to spring off the spool a bit, but not as much as some other lines I’ve tried. However it certainly seems to be a good reliable line in the absence of Pro Gold.

Thanks again.

Keith
Hi Keith. Thank you for the reply. I have downloaded the list that was produced by a well known tackle shop where they put almost 60 different lines through the same tests. So if anyone else would like to check on other lines I could either let them know or if anyone wants I could direct them to the tackle shop website

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Drbllanksalot.

Thankfully I didn’t need to revert to Diawa Sensor or Hyper Sensor (neither of which I’m over fond of) as I managed to fill my spools with some ‘ESP Syncro XT’ in the absence of ‘Pro Gold’ (see link below).

Keith