1lb 8oz 11ft Torrix

chevin4

Reaction score
Does one really need a 1.25 tc , or indeed any rod bearing a tc, rod for roach? Is this were I'm going wrong.

I'm sure such a rod will be versatile and capable of dealing with small and large fish in equal measure but with a little finesse.
If I was legering on a small river I would use my very soft rod built on a fly rod. Its horses for courses the 1.25 rods come in to play for still water work using block end feeders and helicopter rigs.

Reaction score
Trouble is Mike there's roach fishing and roach fishing,what chevin is doing is helicopter rigging a 1.5oz feeder,on buzzers and indicators for self hooking reasons,not for me,but very successful for good roach,good for tench too,I refuse to outright fish for tench on the lead,they are a float only fish for my enjoyment,I miss out on multiple catches,so what,but as has been said many,many times,each to their own...

chevin4

Reaction score
Trouble is Mike there's roach fishing and roach fishing,what chevin is doing is helicopter rigging a 1.5oz feeder,on buzzers and indicators for self hooking reasons,not for me,but very successful for good roach,good for tench too,I refuse to outright fish for tench on the lead,they are a float only fish for my enjoyment,I miss out on multiple catches,so what,but as has been said many,many times,each to their own...
That's a lovely way of fishing for Tench however some of the waters I fish it's not very effective as the fish are normally further out beyond float fishing range.

Reaction score
I know what you mean mate,I wouldn't fish that venue for tench,saying that ive fished forty yards on the float at Sywell and had quite a few six pound plus tench...

chevin4

Reaction score
I know what you mean mate,I wouldn't fish that venue for tench,saying that ive fished forty yards on the float at Sywell and had quite a few six pound plus tench...
I fished Sywell with a float but to get the range I used a missile float with six swan shot it got around the rules but is was still basically bolt rigging.

Reaction score
Fished loaded sliders,actually used slider but only eight feet deep,only had two number four shot on bottom....

chevin4

Reaction score
Fished loaded sliders,actually used slider but only eight feet deep,only had two number four shot on bottom....
Morning Whitty interesting if i was fishing off the dam wall standard float fishing would be fine. I mostly fished the west arm invariably there was a strong blow and undertow I also fished the missile on a slider but well over depth the method caught me plenty of tench to 9lb 1oz but I stopped fishing at Sywell when the weed was bad dragging fish through weed with heavy line is not my idea of fishing IMO

Reaction score
I fished the west arm too,when I fished it there were clear runs in the weed parallel to the ban,I usually fished the second or third run out,catapulting small balls of g.bait with filled with dead maggot and groats,I only had them to eight,my mate sat next to me on day and had a 10.1 and a 10.3,greedy beggar,cracking fish mind,we only fished proper 6lb mono(probably broke at 8lbs)and 1.25lb test curve Insight Avons,old barbel tackle really,only ever lost two weeding,you did have to be forceful though eh???

chevin4

Reaction score
I fished the west arm too,when I fished it there were clear runs in the weed parallel to the ban,I usually fished the second or third run out,catapulting small balls of g.bait with filled with dead maggot and groats,I only had them to eight,my mate sat next to me on day and had a 10.1 and a 10.3,greedy beggar,cracking fish mind,we only fished proper 6lb mono(probably broke at 8lbs)and 1.25lb test curve Insight Avons,old barbel tackle really,only ever lost two weeding,you did have to be forceful though eh???
Blimey two doubles in a day from Sywell that is some going from a water where doubles were thin on the ground. I think I used the Paul Boote barbel rods rated at 1.25 and 8lb Maxima you are dead right you certainly had to be forceful.

Reaction score
My mate always used to be lucky,poor beggar,passed away last Christmas 64 yoa,cancer,bloody good angler too...a very sad day and sorely missed.

the two fish were ginormous...

chevin4

Reaction score
My mate always used to be lucky,poor beggar,passed away last Christmas 64 yoa,cancer,bloody good angler too...a very sad day and sorely missed.

the two fish were ginormous...
Sorry to here that Whitty 64 is way to early to go. Sorry to learn that Len Arbery has passed away I met him a couple of years ago at the MKSG social really nice guy and top angler