A B U Spinning rod

Old fisher

Reaction score
I needed a spinning rod for occasional pike fishing. After taking a look at a number or rods and not wishing to spend a fortune on a rod that may only be used a couple of times a year, I decided on an ABU Garcia NEW Venerate (Cork handle) 30-60 Spinning rod. This company usually produce reasonable rods at good prices. On receiving the new rod I checked it out. I found the bottom line guide was not quite in-line with the reel seat. I thought I would check the alignment again with a reel fitted and that showed up another problem for me. I have reels by a number of different makers, so tried them all on the rod. Only the smaller fixed spool reels with narrow feet by Daiwa and Shimano would fit properly into the reel seat slots. I have returned this rod to the dealer for a refund.
Have any other members encountered these problems on modern new rods? The rod WAS !! made in China.

steve2

Reaction score
Yes I have had rods where reels don't fit. I always end up keeping the rod and buying another reel. With most rods being made in China rod guides lining up shouldn't be a problem.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi Steve2. I won't be buying another reel as I already own 50 I have 23 Mitchell 300/301 reels alone `10 Shimano bait runners 5 centrepins 6 Daiwa + the rest various makes and types

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a Speedia centre pin that wouldn’t fit a modern reel seating, a shortening of the foot sorted that out.

Old fisher

Reaction score
I don't have any problems with the split cane rods I rebuild as I always fit them with sliding reel bands. I think cane rods look strange when fitted with screw locking reel seats

Old fisher

Reaction score
Sorry S63 I had not noticed your reply as i thought you were steve2 answering again

steve2

Reaction score
Like you I have far too many rods and reels and never had problems with the more modern type of sliding reel fittings. I found the metal ones slip. Saying that I have too many rods I am still looking for a cane rod which will no doubt come with metal fitting.

Old fisher

Reaction score
These days i now use modern rods most of the time but there is something you get when using cane rods Modern rods when used to catch the larger species nearly always bend at the tip to about a third to halfway down. Cane in most cases bend from the tip all the way down to the butt. You can feel it in the hands and it seems that you are more in touch with the fish. Perhaps the main downside of cane rods is that when you come home from a days fishing with them, you can't just dump them down and leave them until tomorrow. they have to be cleaned and hung up to dry because if you don't that is when they can take a set or bend.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had quite a lot of faulty brand new rods with guides that are out of line with the reel seat, have bent guides, twisted guides, badly scratched blanks, bent top sections, missaligned guides along the blanks.
I just send them all back for a refund, no point keeping faulty fishing rods.... of which there seems to be no shortage of!
I've had just as many, if not more top end rods than cheaper ones with faults!
Regarding the reel seats/holders, their size should be in the description of the rod when advertised.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi Tigger. It's annoying as to how these items get by inspections at the factory where they are made. The only people who seem to benefit are the postal services Regarding the reel seats, I've found that the width of the slots that the reel fits into seem to be too narrow on some rods. That is why I like the sliding bands on old rods although they are not so secure.

steve2

Reaction score
I think that a lot of manufacturers expect the customer to carry out the final checks on goods in the hope that nothing is wrong.
With reel fitting who decides where the fixed reel fitting should be? I have had rods that are unbalanced depending on what reel I use.
Never had this problem with sliding reel fittings.