A bit of a novice

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have the opportunity to fly-fish the Wye around Hay over the next few months. I've done very little fluff chucking in the past and I could use some advice please on a basic outfit to get me started.

cheers

Phil

keora

Reaction score
A 9ft fly rod taking an AFTM size 5/6 floating double taper fly line should be about right.

You could save by buying a ready made outfit, such as this one by Airflo, for about £65

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/airflo-fly-fishing-kits~10561.html.

You'll also need

A few wet and dry flies

Some 9ft tapered leaders

Spools of 3lb and 4lb nylon for tippet material

Waders

Wading staff

Sunglasses for eye protection

A bag to put stuff in

A small landing net, one for coarse fish would do but the tendency is to use a short handle pan net to clip on your coat.

Fly casting is quite difficult to do well, and you'd be better getting lessons or buying Hywel Morgan's DVD The Complete Cast. Also have a look at his DVD called Fly Fishing Start:

Hywel Morgan :: castmaster | shop

Last edited:

kickstart

Reaction score
As you are in Manchester, you are not that far away from J. Norris in Penrith. Just a run up the M6

They will sort you out for what ever your budget is but you will probably need to spend a bit more than £65 to get anything worthwhile. They have a lot of decent second hand kit as well as being able to organise you some lessons if you want. Ask for James who owns the business or Julian (unless he has retired by now) who works there. You will hear Julian before you see him:D They will not rip you off.

No connections etc.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Phil.

Presume you are not targetting salmon? Otherwise you will have to step up from the tackle suggested.

Fine for grayling trout and unplanned shad.
?

lepirate

Reaction score
Last edited: