A new reel and a puzzle

wumfi

Reaction score
Got a new cheap Chinese reel. As a beginner I’ve no experience about whether it’s rubbish or not. It actually feels ok. Nice smooth action, not too heavy etc.

It was advertised as a dual-braking system or something. To be honest, I bought it simply because it was first one that fitted my budget.

Herein lies the puzzle. There are two parts that I’m unfamiliar with. It has the normal clutch type bit on the main spool (I know what that does), but there is also another twisty bit on the back. Also, there is a switch that, when activated, stops the reel on the wind-in. It doesn’t stop it with a lot of force though, and another gentle wind-in will release it. I’ve attached a pic with the two bits circled. The blue circle it the switch, and the red circle is... well I’m sure that’s obvious!

Any ideas?

Ta

e3c6ee9043a01df3eaef24e20edaba97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
The blue circle is a baitrunner , when it is set line can be taken by a fish with the bail arm engaged , usually used when ledgering for strong fish like carp or barbel , so you don't have your rod dragged in . The red circle looks like a rear drag knob to adjust the drag tension when playing a fish .

Hope this helps

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's a baitrunner type reel. The knob at the front is the main drag. The knob at the rear (red) is the baitrunner tension which comes into play when the baitrunner feature is engaged using the lever (blue).

mikench

Reaction score
It looks like a baitrunner. The front drag operates when the baitrunner ie freespool is off and the rear knob sets the rate at which, when in freespool mode, the fish can take line before you start to wind in and thus stopping the freepool facility.

wumfi

Reaction score
The blue circle is a baitrunner , when it is set line can be taken by a fish with the bail arm engaged , usually used when ledgering for strong fish like carp or barbel , so you don't have your rod dragged in . The red circle looks like a rear drag knob to adjust the drag tension when playing a fish .

Hope this helps

It helps greatly, just to know what to call them! Thank you. I’ll have a google as I didn’t quite understand the bait runner thing. As for the rear drag, it doesn’t appear to do anything. When I loosen the front clutch, I can turn the spool by hand (as expected). When I loosen or tighten the rear, nothing seems to change. How can I see how the rear drag works?

wumfi

Reaction score
I can’t believe how quickly I got answers here. I can’t keep up! Thanks all though.

ian g

Reaction score
Wumfi , sorry to mislead you a little the red circle as pointed out by Sam & Mike adjusts the bait runner tension if you operate the blue lever you will find you can pull line from the reel with the bail arm engaged the rear drag will adjust the rate at which you can do that . I think you would be able to find a video on you tube explaining how it works

bullet

Reaction score
You want a lot more line on that as well to get the most out of it.?

john step

Reaction score
If you watch a video on carp fishing sooner or later you will see a "run" with the carp tearing off across the lake. This is possible because the BAITRUNNER circled blue is engaged. It sops line breakage and stops the rod being dragged in. When you get a run you pick the rod up and a forward turn of the reel handle with re engage the spool and you will be in direct contact with the fish.

There will be an adjustment on that facility to allow the fish to bore off. It can be tensioned by the rear RED knob. You can have it very light or a stiffer depending on the circumstance.

The Knob on the front of the spool just must tension so that when playing a fish it will give line a little to avoid breakage.

There is no compulsion to use that BAITRUNNER facility however. You can just use the reel line any other reel.

You need more line on it though. Use whats on it as a backing and top up with a decent line.

wumfi

Reaction score
Wumfi , sorry to mislead you a little the red circle as pointed out by Sam & Mike adjusts the bait runner tension if you operate the blue lever you will find you can pull line from the reel with the bail arm engaged the rear drag will adjust the rate at which you can do that . I think you would be able to find a video on you tube explaining how it works

Excellent, that makes sense I think! Thanks. I’ll have an evening on YouTube to see what you mean. Appreciated.

And to bullet: Yes you’re right. Although I’m just a beginner and so I’m just going to my local fishery for now. The waters they have there are a canal type arrangement which is only about 40 feet wide, and a small water with an island that I could probably almost jump across! Nice place though, and I catch most visits. It’s called More House Farm Fishery, near Haywards Heath if you want a look.

wumfi

Reaction score
John Step: Thanks. That makes perfect sense. As for the line, it’s plenty for where I’m fishing currently. The line itself is fairly decent (so I was told), and hasn’t let me down yet! I will bear your comments in mind though. I’m still learning stuff here. Only really been fishing for about a year or so.

sam vimes

Reaction score
John Step: Thanks. That makes perfect sense. As for the line, it’s plenty for where I’m fishing currently. The line itself is fairly decent (so I was told), and hasn’t let me down yet! I will bear your comments in mind though. I’m still learning stuff here. Only really been fishing for about a year or so.

It's not really about how much line there is, rather how far from the lip of the spool it is. A spool filled correctly will result in easier casting. You don't necessarily have to put loads of line on, but a deep spool may need prefilling with some kind of backing before topping up with line.

wumfi

Reaction score
It's not really about how much line there is, rather how far from the lip of the spool it is. A spool filled correctly will result in easier casting. You don't necessarily have to put loads of line on, but a deep spool may need prefilling with some kind of backing before topping up with line.

Ah I see. That’s a good point I’d not thought of. It might also explain my appalling casting at the moment; yes, I’ll blame the lack of line... :p

I still have a fair bit left on the spool, so I’ll stock it up a bit more. Thanks.

Keith M

Reaction score
With a correctly loaded reel not only will your line come off of the spool much easier on the cast and enable you to easily cast smaller and more delicate (and more sensitive floats) but your retrieve will also be slightly faster too.

One of the first things you learn when you fish using a fixed spool reel is to fill your spools correctly.

Tight lines
Keith

wumfi

Reaction score
With a correctly loaded reel not only will your line come off of the spool much easier on the cast and enable you to easily cast smaller and more delicate (and more sensitive floats) but your retrieve will also be slightly faster too.

One of the first things you learn when you fish using a fixed spool reel is to fill the spools correctly.

Tight lines
Keith

Thanks. And learning is what I’m doing. There’s so much to it. What a great hobby this is turning out to be.

theartist

Reaction score
Wumfi,

Remember that the cheap reels nowadays are as good as the best ones us lot had back in the day, reel technology has progressed so well over the years that nowadays a cheap reel can handle anything. With the line topped up and your enthusiasm flowing you can conquer all. Beware windy days with new line to the brim for that wind wants a tangle, but enjoy the challenge and don't worry about casting far, casting out any distance will do (y)

wumfi

Reaction score
Wumfi,

Remember that the cheap reels nowadays are as good as the best ones us lot had back in the day, reel technology has progressed so well over the years that nowadays a cheap reel can handle anything. With the line topped up and your enthusiasm flowing you can conquer all. Beware windy days with new line to the brim for that wind wants a tangle, but enjoy the challenge and don't worry about casting far, casting out any distance will do (y)

That’s good to hear. The way I feel at the moment, is that I wouldn’t really be able to tell the difference anyway. At present, I’m practising with different rigs to see what works. I really enjoy making my own stuff, so I spend my time watching YouTube and trying to mimic the end tackle. As previously mentioned, casting far is not a priority at the mo as where I fish only has narrow waters. I’m concentrating on building knowledge and confidence before taking it further. All in all I’m enjoying myself, which is the most important bit really! I fear I’m going to fall foul of what John Step described!

With that in mind, can anyone recommend any good technique anglers channels on YouTube or elsewhere?