A new Wye venue

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
Jerry makes a good comment when he speaks of two anglers walking his stretch with a picture of him holding a good fish on their mobile phone!! Desperate or what?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jerry makes a good comment when he speaks of two anglers walking his stretch with a picture of him holding a good fish on their mobile phone!! Desperate or what?

Desperate if it's true but I for one don't believe it for a minute. How did he know? did these guys actually show him the picture to confirm it was him?

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's not purely because I'm a very average angler that I don't post a word about my catches on forums.;):D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well in that case Rich it is pathetic.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Desperate if it's true but I for one don't believe it for a minute. How did he know? did these guys actually show him the picture to confirm it was him?

Ade I remember reading a bit by (I think it was) Tony Miles where some fella's had tracked him down over a period of weeks to suss out where he was fishing.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know what you are saying Eddy but I think even Jerry would have to admit there is a big difference between Jerry and his results and Tony Miles and the fish he was catching at the time.
If someone is desperate enough to stalk someone for a few low doubles off the Goyt then I wonder what this pastime is coming to.

Bluenose

Reaction score
You never spotted me in those bushes on the Dove then mate?

That'll be the desert camo!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know what you are saying Eddy but I think even Jerry would have to admit there is a big difference between Jerry and his results and Tony Miles and the fish he was catching at the time.
If someone is desperate enough to stalk someone for a few low doubles off the Goyt then I wonder what this pastime is coming to.

A couple of years ago I posted a fairly early season pics of a double I'd had on the Swale. At the time quite a few people knew where I often fished, many others could work it out. However, this particular fish came from a fair way away. That didn't stop the hordes descending on the place I was known to fish. When asked why they had descended the answer was "because a double was caught here and posted on the forums". Mine was the only double posted for weeks either side of the date I posted. I won't post catch details any more, except perhaps if it's a well known day ticket water.

Judas Priest

Reaction score

Ade

It's no more desperate than those who fish the same bush for the same fish week after week

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Parasite anglers - http://i54.tinypic.com/j744tc.jpg - have been around for a long time.

The tales I could tell - followed twice by a man (he parked overnight in my street!) in the early 1980s from Windsor to the Kennet where I was known to be catching a few nice fish ... I led him all the way to Theale, lost him in the country lanes, then continued west!

Plus my very own local stalker (asking after me and where I fished in my local shops - the non-angler assistants, owners and managers were suddenly asking me where I fished; then introducing himself to me on the street and finally admitting he was an angler) in the 2006 to 2009 period when I was known to be catching numbers of barbel, including previously uncaught, probablt never before seen, double-figure barbel (one of them a 16.25-pounder) from a Thames trib on a bit of water that only only once turned up a fish of less than 9 pounds for me...

Then there was the golden scale and the toothy and the spottie foreign stuff...

Parasites.

Simon K

Reaction score
Ade

It's no more desperate than those who fish the same bush for the same fish week after week

Every river has them and they're not going to go away no matter what you do.

Just ignore them, do your own thing and enjoy your fishing is my philosophy.

Re your quote above Judas, I've met anglers who do exactly that and, when questioned, they've said they caught their one and only barbel (or words to that effect) X number of seasons ago and they feel that's their best bet for another.

It doesn't cover all anglers exhibiting such behaviour, but it does point out the lack of confidence and ability some have.
Really, for some of them, all they need is a little help? :eek:

cg74

Reaction score
Ade

I'll tell you what is pure bloody desperation, and that's the numpty/numpties that hammered hell out of a swim on the (not so tough) Middle Severn, after me telling all on a certain single species forum. The swim was a pretty innocuous looking hawthorn bush over hanging the nearside margin, held nothing of any real size and prior to my river report appeared to me not to have been fished much at all.

Bleeding comical in view of the fact that barbel reside under every bush along there.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Bit daft that then Colin telling and describing the exact swim no matter which website or species.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's surprising how many people have made a reputation fishing the same method on the same couple of swims for the same few fish. I don't know about finding their own fish, some of them would have trouble finding their ass with both hands, even if it had a bell on it.

cg74

Reaction score
Bit daft that then Colin telling and describing the exact swim no matter which website or species.

Nah, not really, seeing as I don't fish the river that much and also like I said there are barbel under every bush on that stretch. In fairness the trees 50 yards upstream, if fished well, produces better results.

And if they're that hard up, they're welcome to it....

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those who've known me long and well (not many of them Anglers, sadly, these days) well know the "Ultimate Mahseer River-Junction Spoof" I have long (and jokingly) threatened to inflict on an ever-fish-hungry world.

The idea (of at least twenty years): writing about (with pics, I have loads of them of spots that, despite looking very promising and despite getting a couple of up-close-and personal, in-depth visits from your truly, totally bombed fishing-wise) the "Ultimate Mahseer Experience & Last Frontier".

Then see the me-too heroes shift their acquistive scrawny (and, in many cases, not-so scrawny) bots Eastwards...

Too cruel?

Nah. Such sorts deserve it.

There is such a place in reality, however, one that turns up fabulous fishy riches one visit in three and is still unfished, but........................

Last edited:

jerry gleeson

Reaction score

A friend of mine was fishing a weirpool last season, i was fishing 200yrds downstream in some rapids, anyway the friend of mine sent me a txt telling me this individual had a picture of me on his phone holding a barbel and i wasn't to be flattered by it as he was trying to locate the swim. so up i walked to find out who it was, i dont know the lads name but had spoke to him on 1 or 2 occasions on the river and gave him a few pointers, he told and shown me the pic, i was a bit surprised by it to be honest as never come across it before, anyway i left him to it to be honest, if he'd asked me i would have told him but as he had a pic on his phone i left him to it, he never did locate the swim.
in hindsight i should have told him to remove it in my usual fashion but like i said i was a bit surprised by it all.
cheers
jerry

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 ----------

Another friend of mine also has 2 big 9s on another forum not massive fish but good fish for the river never the less, personally ive never asked him where he caught them im not interested as i,m happy doing my own thing but 2 other lads i know have been up and down the river with his pictures looking for the swim because of a distinctive bent tree and plant in background one of them was quite obsessed about finding the swim, theyve still not found it, when i told my friend he laughed.
1 of them has still not caught on the river, maybe they should concentrate on there own fishing instead of other peoples!
cheers
jerry

PopingPopper

Reaction score
Hello.
I would like to use spining rod at wye lea near Ross on wye. Is it allowed or you have better places for that?