A novice, still rather carp at this

wumfi

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m Pete from southern UK, near brighton.

I took an angling course late last year, and currently going most weekends to a local fishery to practice. Mostly carp at the mo (as that’s what is there in abundance).

I’ve had a couple of good catches so far, but no idea on weights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Pete, welcome to the FishingMagic forum.

You’ve joined a great fishing forum Pete, as there are some excellent anglers on here who are all willing to help you if and when it’s needed.

I Look forward to reading your posts.
Tight lines

Keith

wumfi

Reaction score
Thank you Keith.

I’m loving it at the moment. Just so relaxing being on the bank. I don’t even mind if I don’t catch anything!

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Enjoyment, relaxation, tranquility and mindfulness are what is about. Try for lunch with small hooks and light Tackle and hone your skills with the carp which will still come along. The best decision I made was to join an Angling club for a variety of waters, fishing and locations.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Hello and welcome ........
It would be great to see a few pictures of the fish !

rayner

Reaction score
Welcome Pete, remember fishing is all about catching if you're not bothered about caching why take the tackle :devilish: ?‍♂️

wumfi

Reaction score
Hello and welcome ........
It would be great to see a few pictures of the fish !

Thank you,

Well, here we go then. I think first one is a mirror. Caught last weekend and fought like a bugger! I was told by a guy on the next peg that the second was a leather carp. However, I’ve since learned they are quite rare so it’s probably not.

The goslings are cute too.

0348f1eabd0abfd8282e0f39416d6325.jpg

144796348eec2c68a64c1cd432591201.jpg

2a7b32599ca14c31c4d96e96c1981f59.jpg

07ca7b0ec2fb56267c1161b3659678ac.jpg

wumfi

Reaction score
Welcome Pete, remember fishing is all about catching if you're not bothered about caching why take the tackle :devilish:

True indeed, but I’ve been suffering with depression for a long time and it’s lovely just to get out by the bank.

Reaction score
Hi Pete,welcome,dont listen to them,the way my fishing has restarted since the lifting of lockdown it has little to do with catching,lol....

P.S. I'm glad I don't have to call you wumfi,doesn't ring right.

wumfi

Reaction score
Hi Pete,welcome,dont listen to them,the way my fishing has restarted since the lifting of lockdown it has little to do with catching,lol....

P.S. I'm glad I don't have to call you wumfi,doesn't ring right.

Yeah sorry about that. Just a stupid name I picked up years ago, and I just tend to use it everywhere as a username.

Reaction score
Dont apologise Pete,it is what it is,lol.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Thank you,

Well, here we go then. I think first one is a mirror. Caught last weekend and fought like a bugger! I was told by a guy on the next peg that the second was a leather carp. However, I’ve since learned they are quite rare so it’s probably not.

The goslings are cute too.

0348f1eabd0abfd8282e0f39416d6325.jpg

144796348eec2c68a64c1cd432591201.jpg

2a7b32599ca14c31c4d96e96c1981f59.jpg

07ca7b0ec2fb56267c1161b3659678ac.jpg

Fantastic photos thank you ?
A leather carp has no scales .... the ones in the pictures have scales......
mirror carp ??

wumfi

Reaction score
Fantastic photos thank you
A leather carp has no scales .... the ones in the pictures have scales......
mirror carp

Thank you. At least they’re now identified. I’m off again this weekend as it’s my birthday.

wumfi

Reaction score
Have a great day

Thanks. It wasn’t a resounding success - I caught bugger all. Was a nice morning out though.

I’m convinced I’m doing something wrong. I tried a hair rig with a weight up the line, a pop-up and a bit of fake corn on the hair. Then I switched to good old float and about 4BB’s to take the hook length down. Had a few knocks and nibbles, but nothing much else!

Paste paul

Reaction score
Thanks. It wasn’t a resounding success - I caught bugger all. Was a nice morning out though.

I’m convinced I’m doing something wrong. I tried a hair rig with a weight up the line, a pop-up and a bit of fake corn on the hair. Then I switched to good old float and about 4BB’s to take the hook length down. Had a few knocks and nibbles, but nothing much else!

Not sure how or where your fishing but it sounds like a carp water and feeder fishing.......
Try to locate where the fish are ....... a general rule of thumb in the summer is they swim in the upper layers....... so if it’s six foot deep they’re likely to be in three foot or shallower and in the margins swimming around islands hanging around features.
When you’ve worked this out your rigs need to comply........
I’d take a method feeder rod and a float rod and or pole.....
I’ll assume you don’t have a pole ........
So a Waggler set in the upper layers and a method feeder for targeting the margins and features.
Normally carp waters respond well to pellets so get a bag of micros for the method feeder ..... don’t bother with ground bait and 4mm pellets for your waggler line.
On the hook use a hard banded pellet for both 6mm tend to be favourites so buy a mixed pot of Bandums or similar.
Make sure when float fishing you keep pinging 3 or 4 pellets at the float every 30seconds to a minute..... also cast in let the float settle if nothing happens fire a few pellets at it then wind in just a couple of turns on the reel let it settle do this a couple of times then recast....... keep the float moving and going in and out......
Don’t try to fish too far out keep it close about 15 meters out is plenty.
Practice getting or casting the method as close to features as possible and wait a few minutes before recasting......
Don’t be afraid to plop the method in your margins but hold onto your rod.
Hope this helps