A River Campaign…Help Needed !

J

John Bailey

This is the score. In a few days, I am going to live for a good part of the winter in a farmhouse on the middle Wensum. The river here has history. It is where I caught 80% of my big two and all of my three-pound roach between 1972 and 1988. It was hard then and blanks were the norm. It will be excruciatingly hard now but this is a job that cries out to be done. For over thirty years, I have weighed up a window of opportunity like this, the chance to live close and devote real time and energy to the quest.

DSC_5941-1024x680.jpg

In essence, I want to find out if any of the huge roach that existed then have ancestors living here still? I wonder what the chub potential might be? I plan to fish an hour or two early and then again late, presumably the best times. I’ll walk the banks as often as I can, just looking, and if I see anything of course I’ll get in there. But, to be honest I’m not expecting this. The stretch is two miles plus long, deep and for the most part without features, dredgers last century saw to that. Nor am I expecting to see any other anglers and win short cuts from them. The fishing community knows this is rock hard and, apart from a Sunday afternoon piker, stays away. Yup, I’ll be on my own but perhaps I’ll have your advice and suggestions? These , then , are my POINTS TO PONDER!

Prebaiting

Back in the glory days, I prebaited to a degree. Then it meant putting two slices of bread into three or four swims daily. This winter, I’m contemplating something far more extensive. I guess I’ll fish more confidently if I think that what fish there are present might be honing in on prepared swims. Fishing blind on a venue this size isn’t much of a glamorous option. I have the golden opportunity to prebait on a serious scale and I have seen it work in the past. A few years back, I had a mate, Joe, who was a carver and lived in a wood by the river. He baited two holes hugely on a daily basis and put Go Pros down to film the results..which were staggering. After a month, he attracted vast numbers of fish to him. Some of the roach, chub and perch were of serious size, though I never fished for them, knowing they were tantamount to being his pets! Still, the Joe template is what I have in my mind now, even if I have the biggest of question marks hanging over the enterprise.

• DSC_9504-1024x680.jpg

Preparing a Vitalin feast
  • DSC_9419-1024x680.jpg

Prebaiting the Wensum

Ingredients?

Joe largely used Vitalin as a base with not much else included. My ex-Anglers Mail readers will remember I am a huge fan of this dog food that is so attractive to fish as well. I’m thinking that you can accustom fish to feed on anything nutritious and so Vitalin might feature in my baiting now? Of course, you can’t really use it as a hookbait so I will mix particles in with it. But what? Corn? I’m not a great fan in the winter. Bread flake? This worked for me in the past so I won’t ignore it. Trouble is that flakes break down after 15/20 minutes forcing plenty of recasting. Maggots? I’ve always seen them as more of a trotting bait and I guess much of my time will be spent on the bottom in the dark. Pellets? I like the concept hugely. Plenty of smell. Good staying power. But what type? What size? Hooked how? I’m thinking 8ml halibut pellets, side hooked on a size 10 but I am way open to suggestions here. I’ll probably lace the Vitalin with hemp by the way. Roach love it, we all know.

• DSC_5317-1024x680.jpg

My flake setup today
  • DSC_5914-1024x680.jpg

Ian Lewis with a big chub from the stretch a year ago

How Much?

Hugely difficult this. I want to put enough in to attract and hold fish but I have no idea how many fish might be there in the first place. I’m praying for roach and chub with perhaps a few dace but I have no idea of numbers or sizes. Predation by otters was not an issue in the 70s and 80s and it is likely there were more fish as a result. There were certainly barely any cormorants either – a flick through some diaries of the period reminds me I saw loads of herons, lapwings, kestrels and skylarks but there is not one single mention of a cormorant. If stocks are low, I don’t want mounds of untouched bait slowly mouldering on the bed. Yet, at the same time, today we have signal crayfish in droves and they alter the whole picture, surely? A handful of bait will be scoffed by them in minutes. A bucket will take them hours and I’m thinking their activity will draw in curious chub which might in turn interest the roach in some sort of chain reaction. So, yes, I’m thinking of going quite large, Joe-like, in perhaps three swims.

Which Swims?

I suppose it makes sense to look first at swims that did me well back in the day? The downstream hotspot lies around a mile from the farm, on a slow bend at the bottom of a deep run. It was around 7 feet deep, I expect to find 5 feet now. A second swim is positioned between there and the farm, at the tail of a quick gravel glide, about the only fast water on the stretch. It is deep, around 6/7 feet and very slack. The third swim , 600 yards above the farm is an eddy around 5 feet deep and nicely positioned between two glides.
The trouble with these swims is that they are far apart and time will be spent on the hoof with the bait bucket. It might well be sense to bait a swim at the farm itself? One advantage will be the ease of access and fishing but I sense that predators might well keep away from the place because of the relative hustle and bustle and the rowdy yard dogs. If that is the case, then the fish will surely regard the area as sanctuary?

DSC_5310-1024x680.jpg

Attack!

Back then, I largely fished flake on a size 10 fished with a two SSG sliding link. I used a 12 foot glass float rod, Mitchell 300 and 3 pound line straight through. Because the swims were very slow indeed, I nearly always used a dough bobbin between the reel and the first ring and watched it by the light of a small red torch beam. Bites were generally a twitch, followed by a slow draw of the bobbin to the rod. Easy and so few bites were missed I’m tempted to follow the same route. Perhaps this time round, a modern swinger will do the job better but I’ll probably be on a float rod again, a Marksman 13 footer, I’m thinking. I will in all probability substitute the Mitchell for a centre pin now. Casting distances are nothing and I needn’t even think about clutch settings. Why not a quiver tip? Well, for chub, yes, I like the tip. It is just that over the years I’ve missed far too many roach bites that way to be confident. And remember, I might be waiting endless nights for a bite – if I get one at all. I want no mistakes if a whacker comes along!

Comments on all this will be hugely welcomed. I aim to begin putting bait in around 5/12/20 and start fishing a couple of days later. Whatever, I will give you a running commentary of how I do, or more likely don’t, get on. A large part of me is apprehensive and even pessimistic. However, I have nursed the plan so long, it seems pusillanimous to dodge the bullet now. Even if I fail totally, the itch will have been scratched and I can put the dream finally to bed. And there will be consolations whatever the result. Years ago, I fell in love with the wild, lonesome flood plains where the owls and badgers were my only companions. Those were the years I really could take three hours or so out of my life and sit in the dark and the silence, meld with the river and think properly about my future and its course. Fifty years on, I will regard it as gift I can do the same thing all over again.

The post A River Campaign...Help Needed ! first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't pre bait, and definately wouldn't put any large amounts in this time of year. Vitalin is a filler and once in their stomach I think it will take a while to be digested, so it may be an appetite surpresser.
If I was lucky enough to be in your position then I would try to hunt them down/ search them out with the trotting gear using a mobile approach. If I bumped into some, even smaller ones, or any species of fish then I would make a mental note of the spot and maybe fish that spot with the quivertip for a couple of hours into dark. By dropping into swims as you roave and feeding as you fish your pre baiting anyhow, but not overkill. If you work the likely looking swims along the whole length and do it as often as you say "every day" then the fish will all be used to seeing and consuming those baits and probably be eager for another feed tomorrow.
My go to baits would be maggots, casters, bread and corn. You could go on forever thinking of various baits and concoctions but at the end of the day, if the fish are there and willing to feed they will take those baits just as readily as any others, jmo of course.

I feel like i'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here but i'm just saying how I would approach it going of your post.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Agree with Tigger more or less. I'd go 20-30 minutes per swim, then move. Try a big piece of bread, nice and visible, no loose feed, then regardless if I've had a bite or not, move.. Try and resist going back to the same area/s until the whole stretch has been covered, then concentrate on those areas where you've had most bites/fish..

You could also just regularly heave bait into one convenient area, somewhere close to the house, maybe try to 'create' a hotspot?

john step

Reaction score
You mention halibut pellets. Any bream in the Wensum?
I have seen it written that roach do not like fishmeal pellets. I have found the contrary. The last couple of years when fishing for roach I have used those light coloured Skrettings jobs in the 6 and 8 m size. on a band.
Lightly fed with hemp. I used them instead of tares and sorted out the better ones although not as big as the monsters you mention.

Keith M

Reaction score
You mention halibut pellets. Any bream in the Wensum?
I have seen it written that roach do not like fishmeal pellets. I have found the contrary. The last couple of years when fishing for roach I have used those light coloured Skrettings jobs in the 6 and 8 m size. on a band.
Lightly fed with hemp. I used them instead of tares and sorted out the better ones although not as big as the monsters you mention.

Although I’ve caught most of my larger Roach over the years on trotted breadflake I caught my last two 2lb-plus Roach on a legered Sonubaits 8mm monster crab pellet and a Sonubaits 8mm Halibut pellet (not at the same time :) ) together with some 4mm Halibut pellets for feed; which were put out for Barbel.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I always feel more confident fishing over a baited area.

Where I am in the last couple of weeks temperatures have plummeted. I put in 3.5kg of bait 3 days running & was sure I had blown it. Fished on the 4th day and had a fish first chuck within 15mins of casting out.

They had cleaned me out cold water or otherwise.

Mines a large venue. Yours is quite small so quantities need to be adapted but the principles the same I recon.

Good luck !

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I have seen it written that roach do not like fishmeal pellets.
That's a classic, now where's the ROFL Copter emoji? Whoever wrote that has got to be nominated for comedy line of the year, I'll pick myself back up off the floor now :D

Saying that I'd steer clear of them on the river mentioned in winter though

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If you put in the sort of quantity of bait that would consitute sensible feeding eg three or four good handfuls, of the bait you intend using, eg blended bread, on a daily basis, at the time you intend fishing, in each swim, the roach will become conditioned to expecting that food at that time.

It's why carp on commercials learnt to come in close at 4pm after the time of matches as the match anglers had thrown in their spare bait.

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't target roach on pellet after late October,and halibuts are not good breakdown baits,fish struggle to digest them during the colder months,hemp would be a definite feed item in small amounts,no more than half a pint for short sessions,casters too,in similar quantities,maybe a pint if your hoping for chub,three hours tops,sadly this could all change once you start fishing there,if small fish are a pest,as you well know John.Starting from scratch on a new(ish) venue leaves you with lots to learn and try,good luck...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's why carp on commercials learnt to come in close at 4pm after the time of matches as the match anglers had thrown in their spare bait.

I use to fish a day ticket commie in Canterbury, a corner peg was roped off. The owner would arrive about 5pm daily on a buggy with a dustbin full of pellets, the carp would gather as soonas they heard the buggy arriving in time for tea.

peterjg

Reaction score
I've only ever caught a few 2lbers while John Bailey has caught zillions so what do I know but here goes:

I would prebait with 6mm robin red pellets and use 8mm RR pellets and 10mm mini boilies as hookbaits. The biggest problem with prebaiting now is the signal crayfish, they can be a nightmare even in the winter. When actually fishing I would throw in some pepparami sausages (whole) either side of the swim as a decoy bait for the crayfish. I do this regularly, it is not perfect but it definitely helps!

I don't know the Wensum but if the flow is slow I would use 11ft feeder rods with very soft quivers (1/2oz) and a bobbin. I have thoroughly tested this arrangement (many times) and there is definately less resistance to the bobbin with a very soft quivertip than say a soft Avon rod - try it and see! I use it a lot.

You can't get 10mm RR pellets unfortunately so I buy 12mm ones and grind them down with a sanding disc to 10mm.

Another good bait for big roach is what I call a bread rollup. Get the white lid of a packet of Tic Tac mints, pull off the flap - you don't need that. Now use the lid as a bread punch, it cuts a rectangle. Roll the rectangle of bread up and mount it in the mini size Drennan pellet band and leger. The bread rectangle can also be rolled around a 6mm RR pellet and put in the band. I use the Preston pellet bander because it opens a bit wider so is fine for the rollup.

Best of luck.

rubio

Reaction score
I'm not blessed with the knowledge and experience to offer any advice but here's a question.
If the target is quality specimens, would heavy prebaiting reduce your chances? There likely being many more small fish.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Not sure I can offer any advice but really looking forward to hearing about how you get on!