Absolute beginner.

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Rich welcome to FM… what don’t you mean or want to know when you say (Carp fishing tops would be amazing)

Keith M

Reaction score
Welcome to the FM forum Rich.

If you are a complete novice I wouldn’t advise you to start off with trying to catch Carp. It would be like learning to run before you can walk.

I would start off learning to catch smaller species until you get used to being able to play a large fish like Carp without inflicting damage to it.

What rod(s) and reel(s) do you have and where are you going to fish? and do you know any more experienced anglers who can show you the ropes?

I suggest that you buy a beginners book on Angling which should at least start you off and then ask people on here if you still need some help. Then we would at least be able to give you the right advice.

Your local tackle shop should be able to help you as well.

Tight lines

Keith

RichD78

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I've been going for about 3 weeks now. Fishing at redhill fishery in Monmouth. The first couple of times I went I was with a friend who showed me some set ups and helped me to land my first couple of fish. I have been a few times on my own since and have done ok. It's just the last time I went I struggled to set up my floats. As they were new ones I'd bought. So the one I tried to use had 3bb written on it. So does that mean I need 3 bb shots on the line ?? Maybe a silly question but I just couldn't get it right so I ended up going back to my old set up that I had already sussed out.

Keith M

Reaction score
That video gives you the basics and should do you fine.

Have a look at the standard shotting patterns that I use for fishing a waggler on waters of around 6ft and less deep. They are standard shotting patterns for wagglers and will help you to cast without getting too many tangles and are quite sensitive as far as presenting your bait to a fish is concerned too.

On the right there is also a couple of shotting patterns to help you to combat any surface tow and keep your float fairly still by moving the bulk shot down into the undertow (which will be moving in the opposite direction to the surface tow) if that is a problem for you on the day.
If wind drag is still a problem the you can slide a couple more small shot further down so that they drag on the bottom.

Here’s a close up diagram to show how to arrange the shot around the base of your float which might be of help to you.

Of course the shot capacity of your float may be a bit more or a bit less and you will have to scale your shot up or down a little to suite, and a float marked 3bb would typically use 2bb plus a no.1 shot around the base of the float with a couple of no.6 and a no.8 shot further down.

Hope this is of some help to you

Keith

Last edited:

RichD78

Reaction score
Thanks mate. It's been awesome finding this. The tips and advice I've been given have been great. Gonna go fishing today and try them out. Cant wait.

mikench

Reaction score
Well done. Post your details in the HDYGO thread in general fishing. This stands for how did you get on. Post pics of venue and fish caught. You will have good days and bad days and never stop learning. :)