advice

Philip

Reaction score
Try a tiger nut on a longish hooklink and light lead.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Try a tiger nut on a longish hooklink and light lead.
That's the way I would go. Long hooklength, light as lead you could get away with ,and either a bait they are used to , or a different one with a few freebies catapulted over the top.
Sometimes the snag of fishing over silt is the carp/bream can become pre occupied looking for food in the silt , that's why I keep freebies to a minimum.
I used to fish a commercial, that was fizzing when they fed over silt, sometimes had to find a different area of the bottom to fish.

JackPinny

Reaction score
That's the way I would go. Long hooklength, light as lead you could get away with ,and either a bait they are used to , or a different one with a few freebies catapulted over the top.
Sometimes the snag of fishing over silt is the carp/bream can become pre occupied looking for food in the silt , that's why I keep freebies to a minimum.
I used to fish a commercial, that was fizzing when they fed over silt, sometimes had to find a different area of the bottom to fish.
i understand
thanks

JackPinny

Reaction score
Sling a float rod out with either a plummet on the hook or a couple of swan shot on the line at top of hooklength. Find the depth and adjust accordingly.
At that depth you should see the water fizzing if the carp are feeding over the silt.
brilliant thanks

The Monk

Reaction score
Carp fishing has changed a lot over the years, but Im not convinced carp have kept up with it all and sometimes the older methods can work well. In earlier times we had no idea how many carp many of the lakes we fished actually had in them, but they were certainly low stockings, Ive noticed when silver fish get into a feeding frenzy, the larger fish like carp will sometimes patrol the perimeters, what we`ve done in the past is create a feeding area of say hemp and put a larger hookbait in the perimeters, it wont do any harm to pop it up either, or maybe try to balance it on top of the silt, so it will waft up as something large swims past, although Ive seen carp head into silt for baits, good luck.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi JackPinny. As the carp feed at all depths, try fishing a zig rig at different depths until you find where the carp are feeding on any particular day your at the water. Use a ground bait that has small particles that float up at times and this attracts the carp as they cruise around the lake. It should give you a better chance of avoiding the bream that nearly always root about on the bottom