Allcock’s of Redditch, established 1803

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
A collection recently purchased contained an Allcock’s Tarquin split cane fly rod. Catalogued as a beautiful fast action dry fly rod at a reasonable price, I am surprised I have not seen more of these. Built in a range of sizes 8-9ft, all two piece, they look every bit a winner.

Allcock guides

Having picked up the catalogues to do some research I started flicking through the pages. I was reminded what a powerhouse of a maker Allcock’s were for over 150 years. Established in 1803 by Polycarp Allcock, they manufactured fishing tackle in enormous volumes.

Allcock3-522x400.jpg

The factory covered acres and included a foundry, engineering shop, mechanical press shop, engineering and rod building departments. The hook department made millions of hooks every year selling them worldwide. The vast fly-tying room with huge glazed windows was filled with female employees who hand tied the best flies in the world (Allcock’s comment not mine). There cannot be many, if any other makers who influenced the tackle industry to this degree and for so long.

Masters of marketing they exploited the maritime links to the USA, Europe and Asia buying and selling goods wholesale. They proudly boasted “All Allcock’s products are sold at the lowest possible prices which will cover the actual cost plus a reasonable margin”.

In your search for your next collectable acquisition take a look at our stock of Allcock tackle here. They have variety and ingenious designs covering all aspects of the sport.

Not even the famous **** Walker could resist appearing in the catalogue with his record 44lb carp advertising the famous “Model Perfect” hook range.

Allcock4-593x400.jpg

They are also famous for the Allcock Stanley thread line casting reel. Designed by angler and teacher Walter Stanley from Kidderminster. After World War two it finally reached production after years of legal wrangling in the 1930s. He wanted the ordinary man to be able to afford to spin using a reel designed to fish with the cheaper thread rather than costly silk, hence the name “threadline”. It continued to be sold in tackle shops until the 1960’s, and they think we are mad!

Allcock5-800x373.jpg

As always, if you are interested in any of our tackle, or have tackle to sell, please get in touch! Either through the website or email office@thomasturner.com or ring 01782 698787 / 07548 871985.

The post Allcock’s of Redditch, established 1803 appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...