angling trust statement

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sure it’s not within five miles but it’s not exactly Baynard’s Castle either.

Is this a reference to the place Cummings drove to from Durham for his "eye test"? If it is, it's no wonder people are so outraged, Baynard's Castle is in London. Unfortunately, and slightly less bafflingly, Cummings drove from Durham to Barnard Castle, a small town in County Durham.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Is this a reference to the place Cummings drove to from Durham for his "eye test"? If it is, it's no wonder people are so outraged, Baynard's Castle is in London. Unfortunately, and slightly less bafflingly, Cummings drove from Durham to Barnard Castle, a small town in County Durham.

BlOody spellcheckers, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm lost,not hard I know,but I'm sadly bewildered....

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
f3a8fcd1f915aab51b6e88a47d293d82.jpg

This, only for some reason it wouldn’t show as a quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I am listening as we speak to a govt spokesman,totally stunned as he is obviously as confused as we are,they were talking about the two women who's fine has now been rescinded,then Boris going for a seven mile bike ride yesterday and it being ok as long as you are going out for exercise and not recreation,so here I go,wtf relationship is fishing to exercise,i'm not saying that you could possibly get some worthwhile exercise whilst angling,but in the most part anglers would not be walking four hundred yards to a spot,then lounge around all day(leisure/recreation),then walk back,these people don't see the situations everyone is being put in,absurd....

john step

Reaction score
I am listening as we speak to a govt spokesman,totally stunned as he is obviously as confused as we are,they were talking about the two women who's fine has now been rescinded,then Boris going for a seven mile bike ride yesterday and it being ok as long as you are going out for exercise and not recreation,so here I go,wtf relationship is fishing to exercise,i'm not saying that you could possibly get some worthwhile exercise whilst angling,but in the most part anglers would not be walking four hundred yards to a spot,then lounge around all day(leisure/recreation),then walk back,these people don't see the situations everyone is being put in,absurd....

Its the fake news thing. Surprised everyone is being fooled. The women out walking were photographed from the front walking towards the camera.
Set up and staged for their 15 minutes of fame.
The women arrested at the coast were part of a demonstration against the lockdown and the bench scene was orchestrated so they
could get arrested and have their own 15 minutes of fame.

Nothing to do with people who do genuine self isolated exercise.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just got an email from the EA, and it states "The government has announced that fishing is permitted as a form of exercise". I never thought I would see the day fishing described as exercise. No, I don't want to start that argument all over again but I cant help finding it absurd as a statement.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more Mark,when I was under forty and lugged my tackle miles across ploughed fields,yes that was exercise,now,even though I probably carry more kit(Rob would tell you),I use a barrow and opt for venues suitable for that,if I were fishing venues requiring long walks,less tackle would be a must,the stretch of river i've been fishing is probably 4/500 yards of flat walking tops to reach the top boundary,not bad exercise shoving the barrow,a mere amble without gear....since Saturday i've briskly walked around 7 miles,not been out today,but don't feel particularly well at the moment,so I might let myself down today...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more Mark,when I was under forty and lugged my tackle miles across ploughed fields,yes that was exercise,now,even though I probably carry more kit(Rob would tell you),I use a barrow and opt for venues suitable for that,if I were fishing venues requiring long walks,less tackle would be a must,the stretch of river i've been fishing is probably 4/500 yards of flat walking tops to reach the top boundary,not bad exercise shoving the barrow,a mere amble without gear....since Saturday i've briskly walked around 7 miles,not been out today,but don't feel particularly well at the moment,so I might let myself down today...
Certainly there can be a lot of exercise involved in fishing, I must have walked to the moon and back in my life fishing and as for carrying weight, been there although I go very light these days, got fed up with carrying the kitchen sink.
But I cannot help thinking as fishing as an exercise makes me laugh, not guilty your honour, I was getting fit sitting on my harris for 5 hours. :)

John Aston

Reaction score
Let's remember there is far more to fishing that sitting on your arse . I am neither spring chicken nor especially fit , but winter grayling fishing can involve a couple of miles or more walking , wading , clambering up steep banks and so on. Lure fishing tends not to involve much , or any , wading , but longer walks are common . Even chubbing can involve along walk with much more gear , and fishing 7 or 8 swims.

And let's not get too bogged down in daft semantics either- we all know that 'exercise ' in the current context , just means doing stuff outside . And frankly , especially given the very low risk involved of being outdoors well away from other people , why does anyone think it is important to make a distinction between sweaty exercise and more gentle stuff? It really doesn't matter what you do outdoors, nor where , as long as you keep away from contact with others . This virus doesn't read the regulations, doesn't decide to target the lone angler or dogwalker 5 .5 miles from home and leave the ones 2.3 miles away alone , it doesn't bust its way into your car on the way to the river or hide itself in your tackle box - it can and does only spread by people getting too close to each other , and the risk rises massively indoors . It really is as simple as that .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Did Boris ride direct from Downing St or was he driven somewhere to ride his bike, ?
And what about his security officers, did they ride along with him or follow in a car, ?
He would be exercising, they would be classed as working.