angling trust statement

Molehill

Reaction score
I would have been interested to see the debates if the government had stipulated an exact distance for travel to angling, say 5 or 10 miles from your front door. I fear it would have been just as much a hotbed of argument for many as they pointed out the unfairness of it, was it to be measured by road or straight line, the river is 10 miles away but my club stretch is 10 miles and 4ooyards and so on.
I honestly don't think now it would have made the slightest bit of difference, there would have been winners and losers and those who ignored it anyway. Human nature.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I think I read that in Wales exercise has to begin and end at your front door and car travel is outlawed for exercise is this true.
I don’t know if this is the case in Wales, it does seem fairer.

It’s strange that it would seem that you can cycle as far as you like blowing your germs over all and sundry but you can’t travel safely to your nearest viable fishery to sit away from other people, well not without breaking some ill thought out law anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molehill

Reaction score
I think I read that in Wales exercise has to begin and end at your front door and car travel is outlawed for exercise is this true.
Spot on, so most of us can't fish (or any other exercise that involves travel). Despite obvious frustration I think it works quite well and is clear to everyone and easier to enforce.
But our population is 53 million less than England, plus much of the country is basically game rivers so the close season anyway. Not sure how it would go down in England.

whitty

Reaction score
Not in your car is what it states I believe,ie running,walking,cycling etc.

As far as a set distance causing arguments,it might as some might think it should be less,but most likely more,but there isn't really too much to moan about as you know for sure what your limits are,unlike now,a guess...both for the police and you....

markg

Reaction score
I have no problem breaking any laws, after reading this thread I develop a severe migraine and don't feel like going fishing. I think even Alan Turin would have a problem deciphering it all. :)

Last edited:

stevejay

Reaction score
With all this debate about distance and local, I have not seen any mention of boat fishing which has also been permitted.

When we walked our dogs along the local prom last week, there were guys coming in with small fishing boats which I assumed were going on trailers to drive home. With the debate about driving to somewhere for exercise ongoing, and concerns over the risk of breakdown, accident etc. then surely driving your boat to the coast and launching it to go fishing offshore, is far more risky in the event of difficulties, breakdown etc.

I accept that being in a boat with another person is unlikely to bring you into contact with anyone else, unlike fishing from a bank, but I struggle to see how boat fishing was justified for inclusion as permitted activity.

rayner

Reaction score
All this talk of exercise and mental health even worse anglers with mental health problems who can't manage without killing maggots or worms has to stop, shifting this virus should be the only priority. :mad:⚕