angling trust statement

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, I know of Facebook I have an account to view match results locally. I have never read or posted anything and have no intention of doing so.
Facebook is apart from what I look at not for me, too much swearing and guff is spoken. No one can say anything I need or want to hear.

fishface1

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the world of Facebook is probably reality, and many anglers are in fact as ignorant, poorly educated and self centred as many of the posts suggest.

GT56

Reaction score
I guess that's the river season's over and fully expect we'll be given the green light to go fishing again mid March.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
BB
I think I give more anglers credit for doing the right thing, Mark. ?
It's not good to think the worst of people with no evidence unless of course, you have a little.
I might not be too wrong, there was a bloke from the NHS on the TV last night in a ward full of half dead covid patients pleading that people just stay at home as much as possible, on the same day probably that the angling trust were pleading with the Government to allow us to go out fishing. It was the same in the last lockdown.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are plenty of rules and laws that I don't think much of. However, I'm a good little law (and rule) abider. Whether I like it or not is immaterial. Whether they seem entirely illogical is immaterial. I can't go fishing for the foreseeable future, so be it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not as much as twenty minutes walking round a supermarket...
I wouldn't be too sure about that, 1 in 50 now have the virus apparently, you could pass a lot of people coughing and sneezing the virus on a car journey, a lot more than you might pass walking around a supermarket. And your car is sucking their air in directly. If I was you I would thermostatically seal your car, buy some oxygen cylinders and put oxygen masks on next time you go out.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I wouldn't be too sure about that, 1 in 50 now have the virus apparently, you could pass a lot of people coughing and sneezing the virus on a car journey, a lot more than you might pass walking around a supermarket. And your car is sucking their air in directly. If I was you I would thermostatically seal your car, buy some oxygen cylinders and put oxygen masks on next time you go out.
I would rather take my chance doing between 30mph and 70mph in my car than sat on a bus with other people, At least modern cars have a pollen type filtration system on the air intakes .
How many people vave you seen coughing and sneezing when you are out ? I must admit I have not seen one, either in supermarkets, out exercising or driving a car.
A friend of mine just had positive test at a walk in centre, was told to go on Gov website, was sent to a drive in test centre, now told to isolate for 72 hours until results come back.
He has no symptoms and does not feel ill.
So I think the coughing and sneezing statement is a bit far fetched.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I would rather take my chance doing between 30mph and 70mph in my car than sat on a bus with other people, At least modern cars have a pollen type filtration system on the air intakes .
How many people vave you seen coughing and sneezing when you are out ? I must admit I have not seen one, either in supermarkets, out exercising or driving a car.
A friend of mine just had positive test at a walk in centre, was told to go on Gov website, was sent to a drive in test centre, now told to isolate for 72 hours until results come back.
He has no symptoms and does not feel ill.
So I think the coughing and sneezing statement is a bit far fetched.
I agree, by the time it has got to that stage most people are isolated. My sister has it and has a persistent cough but that developed a bit later after she first got ill. But then she caught it off people who weren't sneezing or coughing or at least visiting their house so I suppose she could have caught it of a surface. But I still think it was just breathing in the same air. I don't know the science behind it all but if they have it I have a chance of catching off them wherever they are in my book, in the street a bus or even driving along. by them even if it is in the pre coughing stage and sometimes people sneeze anyway and they could have it in an early stage and it could just as well be going fishing. This is just my belief, I work it out for myself regardless of government rules, they are only there to stop the spread and slow it down, even with all the rules many will still catch it and even those that obey to the ninth degree will catch it, they don't protect me as an individual so, I have to work that out for myself. I see the virus not the rules if you understand what I mean. I just think people get blinded by them, I am safe as long as I do this or if I can get round that it is Ok I am still obeying the rules so I am safe or no one can say I am doing anything wrong and these are what concerns them without seeing the virus itself. I think of protecting myself first and how I might best do that and I can do that better by looking at the virus; the rules play a part yes but they were not put there to protect "me". I cant rely on the government or the angling trust blindly following their "advice", I have to think for myself as well; just the way I am.
I don't know if any of that makes sense, if I have explained it well enough but just the way I see it.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
A Test and Trace Tail
My son, his fiancee and my granddaughter had the virus back in June last year. Nothing serious for any of them, bad chest coughing for a week or so. Both are Key Workers and his Fiancee fetched it home with her from the Care Home she works in.
Last week he get an email off the NHS telling him the test he took last week was positive and he had to isolate for 10 days. He has not had any virus test since June last year. So he after great trials and tribulations gets to speak to someone at the NHS and explains to them the above, only to be told our tests and records are never wrong you must isolate as the mail tells you.

This according to them was one of the tests that have been found to be only 50% accurate. As to there records, Emm well!
Needless to say he told them to go away in jerky movement!
That's my boy!
It's not just the Government that is incompetent it's the NHS Test and Trace as well! :mad:

Reaction score
Bitterly disappointed as I enjoy my winter fishing but ... we all know the impact the virus has had over the last 9 months and it seems to be taking an increasingly heavy toll. Personally, I'd rather stay at home and try to reduce or eliminate the chance of me or my wife getting the virus. It might be months before we all get vaccinated, but the fish will still be there.

Reaction score
After being told to self isolate by the track and trace app,the day my isolation finished my wife went to work on a bus,there were two friends on the bus,both nurses at the local hospital,apparently everytime they go to work at the hospital the app pings,good job they get tested daily....

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Having just retired last friday, it had appeared that I would have all the time in the world to go fishing now. However, although I enjoy fishing, think abiding by the rules is far more important, and will be staying put. Did do a bit of fishing 'retail therapy' online today though, so will look forward to using it when we are allowed to go again.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Typical really, for the first time in weeks looking at the sea today actually felt like going fishing, no rain, sun was shining, no wind and felt quite warm; it all looked so appealing like spring has arrived; or did someone just take my sweets away!
Photo1696.jpg

Last edited:

Pikerwoods

Reaction score
Bitterly disappointed as I enjoy my winter fishing but ... we all know the impact the virus has had over the last 9 months and it seems to be taking an increasingly heavy toll. Personally, I'd rather stay at home and try to reduce or eliminate the chance of me or my wife getting the virus. It might be months before we all get vaccinated, but the fish will still be there.
Mark, it's been hard on my wife Marilyn as she is at risk so not been out much for 9 months, take care mucker.

Reaction score
I sit here watching life speeding to it's conclusion,thinking that I've just been told that I can't do what i've loved to do all my life,oh,I know it's the right decision for everyone,but it doesn't alter the fact that nobody could tell me I couldn't go fishing somewhere x amount of years ago,take care all....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm oddly relieved. I've had no motivation to go fishing for weeks and I was starting to think I must go even though I didn't really feel like it. Now I can't and its almost like a weight off my shoulders. Last year lockdown took my spring fishing from me....with luck I might get to do some this year.

In the meantime I am sitting tight. I am one of those deemed clinically vulnerable so to take risks now when I'm maybe only 4 weeks away from my shot seems incredibly stupid. Mrs S has banned me from shopping and I am more than happy to comply.

fishface1

Reaction score
LOCKDOWN UPDATE
Evening Everyone
Following yesterday's written communication from the Cabinet Office that fishing is to be prohibited throughout the third national lockdown period we contacted supportive MPs and highlighted the problems with this decision and the logic behind it, with a view to securing a safe return to angling as soon as possible. Late this evening I was informed by DCMS officials that the Government are again reconsidering their position.
It would appear that the definition of "exercise" may well be wider than the previous ‘running, walking, cycling’ and we have insisted that the Government recognise both the physical health and mental wellbeing benefits of angling in any decision they make. We strongly believe that exercise should not simply be limited to high impact, aerobic activities which the first lockdown proved led to many in society being left without the means to maintain an active lifestyle. The Government has heard our case loud and clear and it was repeated with some force by MP’s in this afternoons commons debate. We hope that they will now acknowledge, as they have before, that fishing is part of the solution and not part of the problem.
We are expecting to see the publication of revised guidance and supporting FAQ’s from the Government tomorrow. We will immediately share these with the angling community the moment they become available. We are working as hard as we can for our members and the sport we all love and when we know more so will you.
This is incredibly frustrating for all of us. Anglers have acted with huge credit throughout this period and I thank you for your support.
Please stay safe
Jamie
Jamie Cook
CEO – Angling Trust

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Interesting update from the AT.

Like others have said it is disappointing not being able to fish, but in the bigger scheme of things it is really just a minor inconvenience. I am happy to comply.

The published numbers alone should be enough to convince all but the COVID denying flat Earthers that this is absolutely the correct course of action.

john step

Reaction score
LOCKDOWN UPDATE
Evening Everyone
Following yesterday's written communication from the Cabinet Office that fishing is to be prohibited throughout the third national lockdown period we contacted supportive MPs ETC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Please stay safe
Jamie
Jamie Cook
CEO – Angling Trust

I am a AT member and am grateful that last time they got us back fishing. However this time round its more serious. The enhanced infection rate and the sheer numbers of people getting the lurgy and dying.

It may be OK to fish perhaps if you are very close to a fishery but most people are not and it leaves a grey area for rule benders. We saw it last time.
Every unnecessary journey adds a degree of risk to someone however small.
The petrol station when topping up the vehicle used for fishing.
The AA man when someone breaks down.
The policeman who attends if you have a ding in your car. The ambulance crew.
The bailiff.
There would be others.

All extremely small risks but its the spirit of it that we should all stay home as much as possible because we saw last time the liberty takers who you give them an inch etc.

If everyone knuckles down it will help to stop the thing.
I dont think it shows angling in good light to badger and wheedle the government at the moment.

Time will pass and we will be out again if we dont catch it.
Just my take on it.

Reaction score
I see the above posts relevency,but if it was so important,also a national remote grocery delivery service would be in place,from day one that is my families biggest contact area,like it or not countless thousands work in supermarkets(my youngest son is one),they come home from their shifts carrying the virus and spread it to all,it isn't like these people get hosed down or anything,they 'wash' their hands and come home..... If angling is deemed to be a risk that is pushing numbers up,then that is how it is,we have to sort this,unless we all march on parliament...

Last edited: