angling trust statement

Molehill

Reaction score
I would have been interested to see the debates if the government had stipulated an exact distance for travel to angling, say 5 or 10 miles from your front door. I fear it would have been just as much a hotbed of argument for many as they pointed out the unfairness of it, was it to be measured by road or straight line, the river is 10 miles away but my club stretch is 10 miles and 4ooyards and so on.
I honestly don't think now it would have made the slightest bit of difference, there would have been winners and losers and those who ignored it anyway. Human nature.

rayner

Reaction score
I think I read that in Wales exercise has to begin and end at your front door and car travel is outlawed for exercise is this true.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I think I read that in Wales exercise has to begin and end at your front door and car travel is outlawed for exercise is this true.

I don’t know if this is the case in Wales, it does seem fairer.

It’s strange that it would seem that you can cycle as far as you like blowing your germs over all and sundry but you can’t travel safely to your nearest viable fishery to sit away from other people, well not without breaking some ill thought out law anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molehill

Reaction score
Spot on, so most of us can't fish (or any other exercise that involves travel). Despite obvious frustration I think it works quite well and is clear to everyone and easier to enforce.
But our population is 53 million less than England, plus much of the country is basically game rivers so the close season anyway. Not sure how it would go down in England.

Reaction score
Not in your car is what it states I believe,ie running,walking,cycling etc.

As far as a set distance causing arguments,it might as some might think it should be less,but most likely more,but there isn't really too much to moan about as you know for sure what your limits are,unlike now,a guess...both for the police and you....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have no problem breaking any laws, after reading this thread I develop a severe migraine and don't feel like going fishing. I think even Alan Turin would have a problem deciphering it all. :)

Last edited:

stevejay

Reaction score
With all this debate about distance and local, I have not seen any mention of boat fishing which has also been permitted.

When we walked our dogs along the local prom last week, there were guys coming in with small fishing boats which I assumed were going on trailers to drive home. With the debate about driving to somewhere for exercise ongoing, and concerns over the risk of breakdown, accident etc. then surely driving your boat to the coast and launching it to go fishing offshore, is far more risky in the event of difficulties, breakdown etc.

I accept that being in a boat with another person is unlikely to bring you into contact with anyone else, unlike fishing from a bank, but I struggle to see how boat fishing was justified for inclusion as permitted activity.

rayner

Reaction score
All this talk of exercise and mental health even worse anglers with mental health problems who can't manage without killing maggots or worms has to stop, shifting this virus should be the only priority. :mad:

Reaction score
I have been chatting with a friend who is river manager on the Dorset Stour,I asked him about his clubs attitude to the fishing local part of the statement,he replied that they have had anglers travelling up to 70 miles to fish the river,I asked if he booted them off,he said it isn't their responsibility,but the police's,I disagree because the angling trust stated that if we didn't obey the gov't would stop angling and it would be far more difficult to get back again,everyone reads rules to suit themselves,an impossible situation,somebody needs to rectify it fast!!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have been chatting with a friend who is river manager on the Dorset Stour,I asked him about his clubs attitude to the fishing local part of the statement,he replied that they have had anglers travelling up to 70 miles to fish the river,I asked if he booted them off,he said it isn't their responsibility,but the police's,I disagree because the angling trust stated that if we didn't obey the gov't would stop angling and it would be far more difficult to get back again,everyone reads rules to suit themselves,an impossible situation,somebody needs to rectify it fast!!!

It has been quite obvious that some are taking little notice of any imposed rules/laws. Some might legitimately plead ignorance, but ignorance has never been a legitimate excuse in law. Others simply twist or ignore things to suit their own wishes. The only real frustration is that few law breakers are actually being picked up for their transgressions. There's not much point in making laws if they can't/won't police them.

As things stand, I don't believe that I can reasonably go fishing. For a start, I'd have to go out of my way just to get bait. However I might try to dress it up, it's not an essential journey. My closest fishing spots are closer than the tackle shop. However, they aren't in the village I live in. They are within five miles though. I know full well that others are travelling a lot further than I'd have to to get to the same fishing.

Ultimately, you've got to do what you feel is right for you, yours and the greater good. If that means not going fishing, so be it. Railing that others don't share your views on what is right does little for your own well being. As far as I'm concerned, good luck to them. If they are unfortunate enough to end up infected, or worse infecting someone else, I hope they can live with the guilt. The chances of that happening due to a fishing trip might be remote, but there's always a chance. Still, it's probably a better option than those that are going recreational shopping several times a week. It's amazing what you get told when you actually talk to the checkout staff at your regular supermarket.

mikench

Reaction score
Chaps this forum is intended to provide information, education and enjoyment. We express our opinions to which we are all entitled to do. Be under no misunderstanding, we ARE ALLOWED TO GO FISHING DURING THIS LOCKDOWN. We must stay local and comply with our respective clubs requirements. It's not compulsory so if you don't want to go don't. It's very simple but because you can't or don't want to , doesn't prevent those who can and who do from doing so.

If I want to go I will and no amount of disingenuous holier than thou criticism will dissuade me. ITS ALLOWED. I walked up my street today wearing a mask all the way. I visited my local Post Office within a Tesco Local to send some important post that couldn't wait an indeterminate period and whilst within the store, i bought a haggis and a few other basic provisions. I passed and saw maybe a dozen people but at a distance. I felt reasonably safe. Contrast this with my brief foray last week when I saw and met NOBODY, NOT A SOUL and I was alone in my car and did not break down. I felt utterly safe and why not.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Chaps this forum is intended to provide information, education and enjoyment. We express our opinions to which we are all entitled to do. Be under no misunderstanding, we ARE ALLOWED TO GO FISHING DURING THIS LOCKDOWN. We must stay local and comply with our respective clubs requirements. It's not compulsory so if you don't want to go don't. It's very simple but because you can't or don't want to , doesn't prevent those who can and who do from doing so.

If I want to go I will and no amount of disingenuous holier than thou criticism will dissuade me. ITS ALLOWED. I walked up my street today wearing a mask all the way. I visited my local Post Office within a Tesco Local to send some important post that couldn't wait an indeterminate period and whilst within the store, i bought a haggis and a few other basic provisions. I passed and saw maybe a dozen people but at a distance. I felt reasonably safe. Contrast this with my brief foray last week when I saw and met NOBODY, NOT A SOUL and I was alone in my car and did not break down. I felt utterly safe and why not.
To me you say on one hand we are allowed to express our opinions and are entitled to and yet when they disagree with yours they are disingenuous holier than thou criticism; doesn't make sense to me. I don't think anyone has criticized you, just giving their own opinion on the virus and how they want to react to it, same as you give your opinion and how you want to react to it. They may have good reasons or they may not for it but why are they being disingenuous holier than thou about it?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Both sides of that equation are opinion. My side says you can go fishing if you wish whereas the other side says because I can’t or don’t want to neither should you . My side says if my clubs allow its members to fish their waters then they can. The other side says because their clubs are too far away or are not open nobody should fish. That was the point I was making. I have never said folks should go fishing as that is their choice but others have had a contrary view when they cannot.

If you don’t want to go then fine that is your choice. If I want to I will and that is my choice. I am not being disingenuous . I respect all people’s decisions provided you respect mine and those who like me choose to fish.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Both sides of that equation are opinion. My side says you can go fishing if you wish whereas the other side says because I can’t or don’t want to neither should you . My side says if my clubs allow its members to fish their waters then they can. The other side says because their clubs are too far away or are not open nobody should fish. That was the point I was making. I have never said folks should go fishing as that is their choice but others have had a contrary view when they cannot.

If you don’t want to go then fine that is your choice. If I want to I will and that is my choice. I am not being disingenuous . I respect all people’s decisions provided you respect mine and those who like me choose to fish.
I'm sorry, I don't think anyone has shown you disrespect because you choose to fish. I think everyone is aware of the rules, you don't have to shout them at us, we are all aware we are allowed to fish within certain restrictions. There are many circumstances and reasons why individuals make their own decisions on this and its not to be disingenuous or holier than thou. I am glad I can get a cross section of views and understandings on this one, makes it easier to weigh up all the pros and cons. I don't think people telling us they are going fishing is telling me I am wrong for choosing not to, neither do I think you should think people telling us they have chosen not to fish is telling you that you are wrong to.
We are all just individuals with different views on a very difficult situation that is changing all the time and were bound to come to different conclusions rules or no rules.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I have no problem with you fishing Mike,because you have said it is local to you,the thing is the local part is also summed up with in your village,town,or district,or at least it did when I read it twenty times,if being holier than though equates to reading it that way,then yes,crown me pope,I only yearn some definite guidelines that nobody wants,I emailed the trust a few days ago,they may as well have told me to f off,I feel that this statement gives the morons who have done everything against the covid guidelines throughout are now being given free access to waters by breaking the law/rules,whilst others get bugger all,perhaps the government will give them a £500 prize for catching the virus too....