angling trust statement

terry m

Reaction score
The guidelines are the guidelines, they don’t take too much effort to read, digest and understand.

The irony is that like all rules and guidelines, the idiots that ignore rules normally will continue to ignore them.

I ventured out for four hours river piking today, about 3 miles from home. Barely saw anyone else, did not feel that I broke any rules and had a nice walk with plenty of fresh air.

Caught a couple of decent pike too!

Aknib

Reaction score
I'm all packed and ready for my first session of the year tomorrow.

I walked my local town centre dam yesterday and it looked perfect with some nice colour from the recent rainfall and the river which feeds it, nice Roach were swirling everywhere and with a relatively mild and not overly bright day forecast for tomorrow I reckon I'm in with a decent shout on what will be a deserted little mill pool.

Worms dug this afternoon and a handful of wagglers shortlisted for the job in hand, just need to make up the flask of chunky soup in the morning and negotiate the glares as I make my way on foot across the local retail park shortcut decorated with tackle and dressed in things that make me look like a scarecrow's cast off and the job's a good 'un.

Could do with the fresh air too to be honest, paint fumes are alright for the first week or two but after a month of it I'm getting a bit fed up but by far the worst of it is now out of the way which should leave me clear to concentrate more on the fishing side of things come the Spring, overriding circumstances permitting of course.

I caught the work's inspector checking out the mainly completed bathroom and after thorough testing and inspection he's given it a full sign off...

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

rich66

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the 5 mile “rule” has actually been published or put into an act of law ? I’ve not done an extensive search but so far I’m narrowing it down to internet rumour.

Bit from the Derbyshire constabulary seems to point to the fact that there is in fact no specified distance to travel for permitted exercise

I’m of the opinion that we all have an opinion and a right to that opinion. As such we should all respect each other’s opinions without falling out.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There has never been anything definitive about distance in the current lockdown. The closest they got to being definitive was the use of "local". They did give further advice as to what local might mean. That was that you should not make unnecessary journeys outside of your part of a town/city or your village. How an individual interprets that is entirely up to them. However, if you push your luck, you've just got to hope that any copper you may encounter happens to share your view.

My own interpretation has been that I've not gone anywhere further than my nearest supermarket since well before Christmas. I've not been fishing this year. I have a few places I could go inside my self imposed limit. However, I have to go well out of my way to get some bait. It's no real hardship to abstain at this time of year. It won't be long before I find a way to get bait though.

Reaction score
Having heard the roadmap out of lockdown,it doesn't really apply to angling,as we are not an organised outdoor sport,again the initial a.trust statement doesn't seem to fit with any logic in relation to the roadmap,why,because maybe we can already fish(well no,many can't),again we are left hidden in the shadows,abandoned by the very organisations that are supposed to be doing what is best for us,if I had my way I would ask my clubs to put the part of my subs that go to the trust into a charity,my distrust and unhappiness with the trust is absolute,I joined as an individual member for a few years before I tasted the coffee,

Reaction score
In the last five days several police cars have been patrolling the estate we live onK,driving down every part of it,now I live down a close so the only time you see a copper is when they are called out,on Sunday they came down twice,on one occasion they booked someone,for what I dont know,on my walk yesterday I saw three different cars patrolling,I presume similar is going on across the town,if so if i'm driving out of Luton to go fishing I must flag up on their AMPR systems as being worth a tug,this has been my disgust of the A.Trust's statement from the beginning of this lockdown,they should have been beating down doors for clarification for anglers,rather than leaving us with a possible way out,a guy who has his own you tube fishing channel has been saying how HE sees travelling up to 15 miles is local,quoting the local part from the statement,but omitting to quote the 'fish local,in your village,town,or district',or the bit that states 'if you cannot exercise within these confines find some other form of exercise',now,most people can go for a walk up and down their street,forgive my lack of confidence in human nature,but unless you make a law crystal clear,you will have someone trying to find a way around it...

stevejay

Reaction score
Agree entirely Whitty. Its ridiculous that we are potentially put in a situation where it is left to a policeman to interpret the guidelines and that we risk a fine if our interpretation differs.

Heard that a few anglers were fined on the Ribble near Preston this week for travelling further than was deemed, by the plod, as reasonable. Like you, I haven't fished since before Christmas, although I have just joined a local club and will be going next week (about 2.5 miles and about the closest water to my house).

As you state, the AT have been quick to publicise what they have apparently negotiated, and as a golfer too I accept they managed to use a loophole to get fishing permitted, unlike golf's governing body. However, they left all anglers in a tricky situation without clarity and in the hands of often over zealous police who seem to be relishing harassing the public for potential breaches of cover guidelines (plenty of Youtube videos confirm this).

Fortunately in another few weeks and that will hopefully be behind us for good!

Reaction score
In this neck of the woods all clubs have shut their memberships(or all the ones i've looked up),which means even if I was lucky enough to have a water close enough to obey the law,I wouldn't be able to join,sadly,though some laws are pathetic,in this case,on a moral and sensible viewpoint I cannot argue with it,even though I know getting from my house to the water and spending a day fishing is less of a risk than going to the supermarket,or vaccination centre,but,it is an unnecessary trip out,though it seems essential to us,simply isn't and no matter how small,does increase the risk of infection....

Reaction score
Didn't see it Mark,I talk crap for a living...not likely to change at this late stage,what did I say this time....?

Reaction score
A lot of humans/anglers are selfish bastards,I know of one angler who has travelled beyond the rules put upon us four times in five days,I know of another fifteen guys that went yesterday,every one of them travelled at least 15 miles,some 30,to fish a knock up,numbers not weight on a commercial,the owner knew what they were doing,so was complicit,they cannot see any wrong doing,another specimen hunter who is trying for the Drennan cup is travelling seventy miles each way,three times a week to venues in the south,the law is an ass as if it isn't going to be applied it is totally toothless,just yesterday in the daily briefing from Downing Street Professor Van Dam warned that we must stay resolute over the next few months ,or risk an upsurgence of the virus,also stating some areas are showing an increase in case numbers....now,I don't care that going fishing is less dangerous than going to the supermarket,because it is still unnecessary to go,we really are a horrible species...

TincaJim

Reaction score
Yesterday’s press conference is a sign of what’s ahead. They know that large swathes of the public have ignored the rules and that number will grow as jabs and sunshine increase. Another wave is inevitable before Summer.

chevin4

Reaction score
I think this pandemic is bringing out the best and the worst on people. On one hand we have the selfish so called celebrities holding parties for 30 people and on the other we have the staff of the NHS who have done a great job under exceptional circumstances and of cause the sterling efforts of Sir Tom. I work with a women who's husband is refusing the jab as he didnt like the tone of the letter he received and didnt like being dictated to. As for the bloke who is travelling miles to try and win the Drennan Cup IMO if he is a contender his claim should be null and void.

Reaction score
Well Hugh,this person has a very good chance of winning it,with very big roach and barbel being caught in the last month,I just think that the authorities,that is police and local government,plus our regulating bodies within angling really don't give a toss,like a fair percentage of the moron brigade in the UK...

Reaction score
Yesterday’s press conference is a sign of what’s ahead. They know that large swathes of the public have ignored the rules and that number will grow as jabs and sunshine increase. Another wave is inevitable before Summer.

Jim,there s general attitude that if we put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to understand laws and rules has been going on throughout the pandemic,you won't catch the virus,I live among a vast number of morons,only perhaps six households in thirty that I have knowledge of have socially distanced(and still do),they stand in groups a metre apart for lengthy periods of time, a couple with two young children,the mother having health issues have openly said they are not going to have the vaccine,no thought of the childrens grandparents,they aren't the brightest sparks in the box,but even then,they will be out for hours,gathered with several other households just like they were last year,doh...

mikench

Reaction score
I have already quoted what one of my clubs have stated to members. Bailiffs have been sending those who are not local packing and retaining their book. Here is the main thrust quoted verbatim;

The government guide line’s although not specific says stay local, members traveling from the Stoke area to Capesthorne Estate and Liverpool to Shrewsbury is definitely not classed as local.
We are receiving reports from our Bailiffs, members of the public and others regarding this and it can only put the Society in a bad light with those members of the public our Land and Riparian owners.
If we are going to beat this virus, we must consider the whole community and not be so selfish, we must think of other people not just ourselves.
There is light at the end of the tunnel the present lock down now seems to be having a small impact on the daily covid infection rate, but the daily death rate will maintain its present level for another couple of weeks yet and remember, it’s not just the elderly that are dying, young fit people are now succumbing to this deadly disease and some suffering long term impact to their health.
With the vaccination program gaining momentum daily there is a future that we can all look forward to.
All we are asking is that members act responsibly stay local means stay local, if you haven’t got a PAAS water local to you find an alternative venue or sport. If we act sensibly this pandemic will soon be over and then we can all get out and enjoy the sport that we love

Fortunately I have 3 waters that are local. On other club cards many waters are arguably still local ie within 10 miles but I haven't regarded them so. As Sam Vimes says the fishing is and has been poor so those unable to fish are not missing much. I spoke to the club chairman last Sunday on an ad hoc work part and he said members who broke the rules would be ex members.

Reaction score
It certainly isn't a sour grapes thing from me(not that anyone suggested as much),it is however poor practice,which I believe the clubs should take a stand over in light of the ppoor statement from the trust,just to give members clarification of exactly where they stand,lets be honest,people are being crazy,we all know it,today we have been for a pleasant 2 mile plus walk and had to virtually dodge a young couple with a toddler,they didn't make the slightest effort to give maximum room on the path,just walked three abreast,so naive,ignorant,or both...

john step

Reaction score
Morons! I stopped at Tesco on my way home from fishing (yes half a mile-local) and the walkway in the car park was blocked by a gaggle of bods taking no notice of anyone who was wanting to pass.
Being 6.2 and as scruffy and muddy as I am at the moment hirsute, I just stood 6 feet away and stared at them. Eventually the penny dropped and I was able to intimidate them enough for them to shuffle away and no doubt go back to their pond.