Any ideas?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The English have been making curry since the time of Richard II.

See the 14th century book “The Forme of Cury.

Most English cuisine has its roots in French, Dutch and German dishes.

Philip

Reaction score
A lot of the names do have a funny side,

Yately had some good names…Heather the Leather, Bazil (the forty), the big Orange, no prizes for guessing what hue that was, same for Conningbrooks “two tone”. Harrow had Chop Dorsal with its split fin, can you guess which one ? …then you have Fox pools Jack (the net ripper), Sonning eyes “the eye” with its deformed eye , Hortons Parrot ...the list goes on.

I think all the above reached 40+ years old, there is history behind them and I think its fitting they are given a name.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
The English have been making curry since the time of Richard II.

See the 14th century book “The Forme of Cury.

Most English cuisine has its roots in French, Dutch and German dishes.

Odd fact: "curry" actually just meant "cooking" originally. From Middle French verb "Cuire" meaning to cook.

Test your linguistic skills - how much of this recipe from the book Peter mentioned can you make out?
It's literally for sauce for the goose.......
Not only does English cuisine have its roots in German and French dishes, two of the English language's dominant sources are German and French..
If anyone wants to see a translation (I'm holding my breath) I'll put one up.

Sawse madame. Take sawge, persel, ysope and saueray, quinces and peeres, garlek and grapes, and fylle the gees þerwith; and sowe the hole þat no grece come out, and roost hem wel, and kepe the grece þat fallith þerof. Take galytyne and grece and do in a possynet. Whan the gees buth rosted ynouh, take hem of & smyte hem on pecys, and take þat þat is withinne and do it in a possynet and put þerinne wyne, if it be to thyk; do þerto powdour of galyngale, powdour douce, and salt and boyle the sawse, and dresse þe gees in disshes & lay þe sowe onoward.

theartist

Reaction score
Yately had some good names…Heather the Leather, Bazil (the forty), the big Orange, no prizes for guessing what hue that was, same for Conningbrooks “two tone”. Harrow had Chop Dorsal with its split fin, can you guess which one ? …then you have Fox pools Jack (the net ripper), Sonning eyes “the eye” with its deformed eye , Hortons Parrot ...the list goes on.

I think all the above reached 40+ years old, there is history behind them and I think its fitting they are given a name.
So far I've drawn Heather, Two Tone, Bazil, The Burghfield Common, The Royal Forty, The Bishop, The Black Mirror, Clarissa/Ravioli, The Wood Common, Benson, The Fat Lady, Mary and Mary's Mate.

I think I may be the first to do a series of works of named UK carp but not sure but I know others have done since, the trouble was I was uncertain of their popularity when I did the first one so limited them to 100 meaning some have sold out, they were far more popular than I could have hoped and helped pay for many a fishing trip for me up the rivers. They still live on also on in a calendar called Carp Legends which I hand make each year and gets repeat buyers. Just finished this year's which I'm rolling out soon, they take ages to put together but it's helps pay for my ravioli although I'd much rather have Mary and her mate ;)

Doing the whole project taught me a lot about named carp and the people who fish for them, could be why I'll stick up for carpers on here when they get a bit of unfair clog.

mikench

Reaction score
A guy who redid our rendering and that of various neighbours lives in East Manchester and one Saturday when his van refused to start I charged the battery for him and we had a lengthy chat. He said he would be going to his usual curry house that night as he had for 30years and ordering the same meal. I enquired what it was and he said steak and chips.

Philip

Reaction score
I think I may be the first to do a series of works of named UK carp but not sure but I know others have done since, the trouble was I was uncertain of their popularity when I did the first one so limited them to 100 meaning some have sold out, they were far more popular than I could have hoped and helped pay for many a fishing trip for me up the rivers. They still live on also on in a calendar called Carp Legends which I hand make each year and gets repeat buyers. Just finished this year's which I'm rolling out soon,

Your drawings are excellent and lets face it, nothing wrong with a gratuitous plug from time to time. Your website was Https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/robspencilportraits wasnt it ? ;)

So far I've drawn Heather, Two Tone, Bazil, The Burghfield Common, The Royal Forty, The Bishop, The Black Mirror, Clarissa/Ravioli, The Wood Common, Benson, The Fat Lady, Mary and Mary's Mate.
& now the triva test for the day for anyone interested (well it is Carp after all) ..which of those could be considered the odd one out -by some- & why ? ...theres a clue in the question...

Philip

Reaction score
The answer is Benson as it is the only one that would not be regarded as English home grown having been imported from Belgium at over 20lb.

terry m

Reaction score
A couple of, now dead, residents of a local pit were called ‘Fag Packet’ (boxy body shape), and ‘Dangler’ (unusual appendage hanging from underside).