Anyone know ?

budsy

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone know if using instead of monofilament line how is it to use a weight forward fly line in your reel instead ?
Ive heard its good for casting further and also more at ease casting a fly line into the sea for further casts
on a normal fishing bait or spinning reel with say a 14 ft beach castor rod ..

Anyone seen or know about this ? the use of a weight forward fly line with say 6 ft of monofilament on the end for leader line
and with a 3 oz weight on end of line and hook set just above with bait on ? Any opinions welcome .

rubio

Reaction score
That's a new one on me. Can't fathom how it would help on any local beaches.

budsy

Reaction score
Hi Rubio - What im meaning is the putting polymer fly line onto say a spinning reel for sea casting from a pier into sea .

sam vimes

Reaction score
When you can get tapered monofilament mainlines, I can't really see the point of using a fly line.

bullet

Reaction score
That's probably the wierdest thing I've heard.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's a great idea, I might try iy myself ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see replacing a leader with a tapered mono, but not the entire fly line as I doubt it would work.

In fly fishing you are actually casting the line and not the fly . . . . or as Spolek, the Professor of Mechanical Engineering Portland wrote:

"In order to propel a fishing fly through the air toward the distant quarry, a rather massive line, to which the fly is attached, is cast. As the cast line rolls out, the fly actually accelerates horizontally and seems to defy physical law. The phenomenon is modeled simplistically to determine the magnitude of this effect. In the absence of air drag, the fly can accelerate to increase its velocity by an order of magnitude. Air friction dramatically decreases the effect, but some fly acceleration is still predicted. By tapering the flyline in various ways, the fly velocity history can be significantly modified, and some tapers are predicted to perform better than others."

budsy

Reaction score
Seriously ive seen some people use weight forward fly line with braided loop on end with monofilament tied on end of that and the cast it flies out big style for a long cast ..Weight forward fly lines gives a long cast, as remember u have a weght of around say 3 oz on end of monofilament
with hooked bait slight further up the line ..

rubio

Reaction score
Ok. Let's try to follow this. Using a fly line for effectively extra weight, then adding 3ozs of lead seems self defeating on the face of it. The thicker line will produce more drag, during the cast and even more dramatically once in the tide.
What benefits do you perceive?

budsy

Reaction score
Ok. Let's try to follow this. Using a fly line for effectively extra weight, then adding 3ozs of lead seems self defeating on the face of it. The thicker line will produce more drag, during the cast and even more dramatically once in the tide.
What benefits do you perceive?
Easy to cast from a spinning reel on a beachcaster , seen several guys catch nice fish via this method ..it adds to get far out

and at ease with the casting line so much easier and why im going this route when time comes again .(y)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe you can convince tournament casters to use fly line ?.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I can see the extra weight in the line added distance to the cast, it is in effect a more streamlined weight than a weight of lead so maybe a slightly smaller more streamlined lead could be used as well. I find it impossible to calculate all the forces involved so I would have to experiment first if I tried it, maybe cut the fly line down as well. It wouldn't surprise me it could add a bit of distance but the problem of thick line being pushed by the current mentioned by Rubio would mean a heavier main weight to hold it once cast so that would be a problem, some fierce currents exist around our shores. Then there is the problem of that sort of line on a reel a multiplier especially; will it come off the reel problematically? I find using a thinner line means a lighter weight is needed, I can cast a long way with a carp rod and a two oz weight with a 12lb line. The 2oz weight holds bottom well enough just about where I fish but if I used a 25lb line it would need at least a 4oz weight. The wind and current has quite a dramatic effect on line thickness because there is so much of it out there and a thick fly line would feel a lot of that effect in my minds eye.
However, if you have seen it used and working to advantage by others then the proof is in the pudding as they say. I don't think I will bother though, casting long distances is not the be all and end all of beach fishing or pier fishing. There are occasions were that bit of extra distance might get more fish say a far off gulley or rock mark but it is not often. Piers and jetties often hold more fish straight down were the pylons attract crabs and small fry that attract other fish. Fish come closer into the shore than a lot people think as well, bass can just require water to cover their backs, I have caught flatfish on the stones and mackerel will beach themselves on occasions they come that close. Depends what fish are about though. The cod and whiting can be further out but I don't cast far usually, then again I cant say I have caught much lately!!
I remember a first class angler who won a lot of beach competitions who said being a distance caster gave him an advantage sometimes, his bait would be just a bit further out than other competitors who were average casters and if the cod or whiting were swimming that just bit further out he would win the comp usually but he attributed his success more to always digging his own fresh bait and having lots of it.
Still, I would try it if I were you, scratch the itch, some old fly lines can sometimes be found cheap, give them a go, if I find one I might try it out myself sometime.

Last edited:

budsy

Reaction score
markg-Only thing in a way is putting me off this way of using a weight forward floating fly line with lead weight around 2/3oz from a pier
into the sea ..is I had asked a guy using such line , whats up with your rods tip as was broken off ..he said it happened earlier when caught on

bottom so with monofilament line I know if well caught which often happens then can snap it with glove in hand and just rig up again ..least rods not broken and I should have said about such ..but I had seen this guys casts were much further than I could get with my mono line . So beware I say if you try this method out also re caught on bottom ..tight lines but not tight as in caught on bottom of water which is not a nice feeling
I know . Ps I am talking of use of say a 6/7/8 forward floating fly line , with use of 2/3 oz weight and only on end of braided loop is around 6ft of monofilament and hook bait ..

no-one in particular

Reaction score
markg-Only thing in a way is putting me off this way of using a weight forward floating fly line with lead weight around 2/3oz from a pier
into the sea ..is I had asked a guy using such line , whats up with your rods tip as was broken off ..he said it happened earlier when caught on

bottom so with monofilament line I know if well caught which often happens then can snap it with glove in hand and just rig up again ..least rods not broken and I should have said about such ..but I had seen this guys casts were much further than I could get with my mono line . So beware I say if you try this method out also re caught on bottom ..tight lines but not tight as in caught on bottom of water which is not a nice feeling
I know . Ps I am talking of use of say a 6/7/8 forward floating fly line , with use of 2/3 oz weight and only on end of braided loop is around 6ft of monofilament and hook bait ..
Two things, if caught on the bottom you should be able to hand glove and it should snap of at leader/fly line knot same as with fly line or just mono. This bloke must have been trying to unsnag with the rod up in the air. Or the other thing to do when snagged and you cannot free it with normal pressure is to lock the reel, straighten rod and line so it is all in line and walk backwards either until it is free or the line breaks, no pressure on the rod this way!
The other thing you say he was casting further than you with a fly line, that doesn't necessarily mean he was casting further than you because of the fly line!! Maybe he was casting further than you anyway, better technique, more powerful arms, better gear whatever, I can cast further than a lot of people just because I have been doing it a long time, nothing to do with the gear which is a lot crappier than most... The crux is, was he casting further than he normally did with fly line. Not sure I have explained that well but hope you see what I am getting at.
My overall feeling is whatever the extra distance it could not be that much and is it worth all the extra palaver and expense of fly lines which are quite expensive, a good strong mono leader might not achieve quite the distance but how much are we talking 10 yds.
The only way is go down one day do a few casts with your mono and then try attaching your forward weight fly line and see how much further it casts if any. Then you can decide but my feeling it won't be much but I don't know, needs to be tested out. the only way you will really know, all I have is hypotheticals based around some experience but sometimes things are good despite what they may look like on paper.

Last edited:

budsy

Reaction score
Hi Mark ,
I do know regards fly line shall break mono-line if stuck on bottom normally when some pressure is used
and i did realize that guy must have over did it when stuck with sure he must have put too much pressure on the rods tip
and how he broke the rods tip from end of his rod was silly thing to do .

I always try when stuck on bottom with lifting the rods tip left and then right and if it doesn't come away
i always then do as u say straight on with rod and line, I just glove it to break free , and then luck if all is still all together
and if not them only leader line has snapped away no big problem ..

Anyhow I do think though in sea with current and waves we get often the weight forward fly line also shall get well stuck around whatever rock/s
and then a rod would snap if forced to try to get this snag out , and so as u say sure the mono line would break free
but IF as said the weight forward fly line cant break free , then its cut your fly line to save your rod .

I have last night put on some new monofilament on one reels spool of a 25 L/B trylene line
and filled the reels spool up with such , and with other spool put on 15 L/b of breaking strain of the same line trylene
so just standing by monofilament trylene line as best being safe .

having said im also still contemplating using a weight forward say 7 or 8 fly line with use of a float to try it out
so wont get stuck on bottom and so float with with light weight and hook bait not too deep from a pier
thinking as to how far this would cast out ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi Mark ,
I do know regards fly line shall break mono-line if stuck on bottom normally when some pressure is used
and i did realize that guy must have over did it when stuck with sure he must have put too much pressure on the rods tip
and how he broke the rods tip from end of his rod was silly thing to do .

I always try when stuck on bottom with lifting the rods tip left and then right and if it doesn't come away
i always then do as u say straight on with rod and line, I just glove it to break free , and then luck if all is still all together
and if not them only leader line has snapped away no big problem ..

Anyhow I do think though in sea with current and waves we get often the weight forward fly line also shall get well stuck around whatever rock/s
and then a rod would snap if forced to try to get this snag out , and so as u say sure the mono line would break free
but IF as said the weight forward fly line cant break free , then its cut your fly line to save your rod .

I have last night put on some new monofilament on one reels spool of a 25 L/B trylene line
and filled the reels spool up with such , and with other spool put on 15 L/b of breaking strain of the same line trylene
so just standing by monofilament trylene line as best being safe .

having said im also still contemplating using a weight forward say 7 or 8 fly line with use of a float to try it out
so wont get stuck on bottom and so float with with light weight and hook bait not too deep from a pier
thinking as to how far this would cast out ?
You have a good take on it all, sure try out the weight forward line and see how it casts, I can only see it my minds eye and as I said it is hard to work out all the forces involved, the only real way is try it out, I have experimented quite a lot over the years with different things sea fishing and I am interested myself although I don't worry about long casting these days. Good luck, maybe you will have success with it; let us know.

budsy

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I do get a fine enough cast with the mono line , but just something im thinking trying as sais seen around 3 people use this , and one said he was about to experiment , although havent seen him since and always different fishers I bump into ..Only one thing worries me is if the fly line gets caught around rocks below, as then would have to cut the fly line altogether wouldn't be fun that but rod comes before fly line ..then again im thinking for use on a float , as then should be ok id think ? . Unless jaws grabs the bait that is :)

budsy

Reaction score
Now Tigger is totally hooked left right and erm sinker :D ..But is something im contemplating trying out as seen such happen fellow fishers u don't know what your missing u try it and then come back and congratulate me how u got on (y)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now Tigger is totally hooked left right and erm sinker :D ..But is something im contemplating trying out as seen such happen fellow fishers u don't know what your missing u try it and then come back and congratulate me how u got on (y)

Tigger really doesn't know what your waffling about, you lost him way back ?.