Are Sonubaits Pellet-O’s now made by someone else? or is it just a money saving project?

Keith M

Reaction score
Just a little moan after buying some Sonubaits new Pellet-O’s; which I’ve been using for years for some of my Barbel fishing.

What’s happening at Sonubaits? Their smaller 8mm Pellet-O’s have now shrunk to only two thirds of their previous size (but are still labelled at 8mm), and the holes drilled in both their 8mm and 15mm Pellet-O’s are either completely squashed close or are now very hit and miss.

Have they changed their suppliers and started getting them made by someone different?. They used to be very consistent.

Keith

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have noticed with the robin red pellets and the mighty marine pellets that the holes seem to have been done with a bent needle. At one time you could push a quickstop through with no problem, now they split, I have an 18v drill set up so I can drill a few out ready for a days fishing.

SLM ??✊?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Try dynamite baits instead Keith

Talking of which, the recent pot of Dynamite Source Wafters I bought appears to be suffering from shrinkflation, with both the pot itself and the individual wafters being noticeably smaller than the batch I bought about this time last year...

Keith M

Reaction score
I have noticed with the robin red pellets and the mighty marine pellets that the holes seem to have been done with a bent needle. At one time you could push a quickstop through with no problem, now they split, I have an 18v drill set up so I can drill a few out ready for a days fishing.

SLM ??✊?

Good Idea Mark. I’ll get my small model makers drill out and drill the ‘closed up’ holes out myself. But as for the shrunken 8mm Sonubait pellets I’ll just have to use several of them mounted on the same hair; to get rid of them, and once they’ve gone I’ll have to have a look at the Dynamite drilled pellets instead of the Sonubait ones to see if they are a more sensible 8mm size and have proper holes drilled in them and they haven’t also shrunk dramatically in size like the so called Sonubait 8mm pellets have. The 15mm size is still 15mm in size and except for the ‘closed up’ holes they are fine.

Do the Dynamite pellets also come in Spicey Sausage and/or monster crab flavour or similar flavours or do they only come in Robin Red and Halibut flavours?

Keith

Last edited:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I'm sure the holes in pellets are part of the extrusion process, the bag you got probably contains more than your fair share of misshapes, you should feel lucky.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Good Idea Mark. I’ll get my small model makers drill out and drill the ‘closed up’ holes out myself. But as for the shrunken 8mm Sonubait pellets I’ll just have to use several of them mounted on the same hair; to get rid of them, and once they’ve gone I’ll have to have a look at the Dynamite drilled pellets instead of the Sonubait ones to see if they are a more sensible 8mm size and have proper holes drilled in them and they haven’t also shrunk dramatically in size like the so called Sonubait 8mm pellets have. The 15mm size is still 15mm in size and except for the ‘closed up’ holes they are fine.

Do the Dynamite pellets also come in Spicey Sausage and/or monster crab flavour or similar flavours or do they only come in Robin Red and Halibut flavours?

Keith
I was in tackle shop today and saw the Pellet O,s in krill and spicy sausage.

Keith M

Reaction score
Talking of which, the recent pot of Dynamite Source Wafters I bought appears to be suffering from shrinkflation, with both the pot itself and the individual wafters being noticeably smaller than the batch I bought about this time last year...

That doesn’t surprise me in the least Dave. The smaller Pellet-O packets have gone from 75g down to 65g and their 8mm pellets have shrunk down to 5mm in size (see pic) even though they’re still marked as 8mm on the label.

Well after sitting down and drilling out all of the closed up holes with a small drill so that I could now use the pellets I took a shot to show people how they have now changed for the worse (especially the so called 8mm ones on the right)

On the left is one of the new 14mm pellets which is OK-ish; apart from a lot of the holes being squashed closed on them and needing to be drilled out properly with a small drill (shown at the bottom) and some of the holes no longer being in the centre.

On the right side of the pic is an older 8mm Pellet-O (left) next to one of the new 8mm Pellet-O’s (right) which as you can see is now only 5mm in size even though on the packet it still says 8mm like the older Pellet-O next to it.

[iNB: I drilled the holes out fully on the new pellets before I took the pic.[/i]

Anyway; I found some Sonubaits ‘Oozing Barbel & Carp Pellets’ in Spicey Sausage flavour which Im going to give a try instead of the Pellet-Os; which have seriously gone downhill in my book.

NB: I drilled the top one myself to make it easier to mount with a quickStop but although they’re hardish; they are not as hard as normal pellets so it might be ok using a baiting needle straight through without needing to drill a hole.

Their oozing flavour should give a nice flavour trail leading up to the hook from downstream so I shouldn’t need to wrap them in soft dissolving paste like I sometimes did with the Pellet-Os. Perhaps the drop in quality of the Pellet-Os might have done me a favour after all (y) :p

Keith

Last edited: