Are we too clever for our own good?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree on the topic of radios . . . . I do pack an old Sony world radio for overnight trips but it is only ever used in the bivvy and with headphones on.

Typically a few hours into darkness I bring the rods in, make something to eat and then settle down for a few hours rest until an hour before dawn when I'll be up and baiting and re-starting to fish.

Over the years I've found that I rarely seem to catch deep into the darkness hours and simply wouldn't leave the rods out while I sleep.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
how many times has this actually happened MarkCW?
A few times when boats were first used on waters, so the club decided not to allow them. They decided to trial them again last year, but with a £50 boat licence, this was to mainly ensure the responsible anglers used them,on the basis they knew if they broke any rules, they would lose the boat licence, no refund, and in front of committee with club card endorsement.
We operate on 3 endorsements for any major offence or a repeat offence, they are out of the club.
Upto now as far as I am aware the bait boats have been fine on the waters. I will also point out that the water with the snags, all rigs must be free running, even if you use a 10g olivette as a lever rig.
We pay a lot of rent for this complex and it and at the moment we seem to have sorted the rule breakers out. One or two think it's ok to move fish from one pool to another, this is being sorted,

Keith M

Reaction score
I agree on the topic of radios . . . . I do pack an old Sony world radio for overnight trips but it is only ever used in the bivvy and with headphones on.

Typically a few hours into darkness I bring the rods in, make something to eat and then settle down for a few hours rest until an hour before dawn when I'll be up and baiting and re-starting to fish.

Over the years I've found that I rarely seem to catch deep into the darkness hours and simply wouldn't leave the rods out while I sleep.

I do sometimes stay awake during the night when I’m night fishing for Carp but 90% of the time I find that bites seem to stop before midnight anyway, and start again at sunrise, so theres usually around 4 or 5 hours when nothing happens.

It was the same when I used to touch leger for Barbel right through the night, it nearly always went totally quiet at around midnight and we hardly ever had another take untill first light; which is why I no longer fish for Barbel all the way through the night.

NB: The only thing when I’m Carping is that if I do decide to wind in and go to sleep in my bivvie I’m loathe to get out of my sleeping bag and cast out again in the morning because I’m tucked up so nice and warm.:sleep:

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
My problem with bait boats and I am quite happy to accept its my problem not anyone elses, is on ethical grounds. I dont think its sporting. Same as I wont lower a rig from a boat by hand then fish it from the bank.

Both bait boats and boating baits out have crept into acceptable territory over the last couple of decades. Once a few names start doing it then everyone jumps on board and there is no turning back.

If the rules allow it then go for it, but I wont be joining in.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Some interesting views on this thread. Personally I have never owned a bait boat, though I have considered it briefly. I concluded that it is another chunk of gear to lug around, and something that I would rarely use.

I have no issues with others using them considerately. In actual fact I get more pi$$ed off at anglers pumping literally dozens and dozens of spombs full of bait out.

Molehill

Reaction score
My thoughts are like Philips, along ethical lines. It depends on how much you feel you must catch fish and to what extremes you will go to do so and in that process take away every safe haven that those fish have in a lake.
If the angler feels he has to catch the most and biggest fish come what may, then he will go to any lengths to do so, personally I am not prepared for that. If I can cast to it then fine, if not then I have to wait for the fish to come closer or whatever - I prefer to rely entirely on my meagre skills and knowledge of 60 years angling. I don't even own a bait alarm, shock, horroro_O.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I couldn't care less what another angler might choose to use, provided they act responsibly and within the rules/law. If they don't, then it's the individual that should be banned/reprimanded, not the inanimate object that they were using irresponsibly. One thing I do know for sure, I'd rather someone fishing near me used a bait boat, or long poled baiting spoon, than have them spod the granny out of it.