Attractants

Reaction score
Mark Pollard(Hinders)markets a groundbait,im not sure if it is called super black,a really smelly dark mixture,it seems very attractive to fish,but in winter conditions caution is 'normally' the byword...

Philip

Reaction score
Its interesting as the majority of match/pleasure anglers usually talk about flavors from just an attractant point of view so a way of making a quick hit.

In the Carp fishing sector flavors can also be looked at from a food value point of view so some flavors not only attracting but adding a nutritional longer term aspect as well as part of a longer term baiting plan. It’s a vast subject once you start digging down.

Could it be that on hard fished match waters or waters which the same angler is fishing over and over again the match/pleasure anglers are missing a trick ? In effect, they are mass baiting over a long period each time they fish so considering nutritional profile as well as just the flavor could make a difference.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Anything can make a positive difference,then again it can have an opposite effect too,each water is different,all conditions change responses,nothing is written in stone,in spite of what is written by any of us,or supposed stars of our sport,the goalposts are continually on the move....

That's quite right, and why I suggested a careful, light approach with minimal bait in a place where Mike has seen fish caught/knows they are caught. The same water/swims will likely fish differently as temps etc go up and down, but when you go a few times you get better at tuning your approach.

I know this thinking reflects my fishing on non-commercial stills without huge stocks, but watch Jamie Hughes vid's or live matches. Even on days he ends up with great catches, the starting approach is feeding vey small amounts and studying whether, where and how he gets any bites. Patience and not spoiling the peg are vital.

There's a pool half an hour away where I've heard the winter fishing for mixed species can be quite good. I'll drive over on a Sunday and see what's being caught, where and how. I've found that beats trying to guess what will be a killer method or a magic bait.

I'm thinking of where the OP fishes and trying to suggest things relevant to such places. If he were on my favourite winter roach water, I'd advise an "attractant" of a kilo of rich groundbait, and two pints each of hemp and casters. But I'm guessing he will be on the type of pool that can switch off and fish hard in cold weather.

Reaction score
The problem with attractants is it is all talk and belief,the fish are not coming out and saying I would eat bait with this or that on/in it,and catching fish on a flavour five sessions in a row doesnt mean you wont blank in six more,ive been through this and to some extent still do,because the holy grail beckons....

rayner

Reaction score
You have to know the venue you are to fish. Fish will accept a little feed on the venues I fish, be careful not to overdo it will keep bites coming even though bites are delicate. If the float is not dotted bites will not be noticed. By feed, I will on occasion feed 1 or 2 maggots, it all depends on the fish.
Dot it down to see bites better. I believe fish watch the hook bait fall so a slow fall is a must.
These are just a few things that I use to keep busy in the cold.