B.James&Son Richard Walker rod transfers?

Keith M

Reaction score
I have an old friend of a rod that has seen better days Because the varnish has cracked and half of the transfer near the butt end has split and come away,

I was going to get a renovation job done on it for old times sake and I wondered If it was possible to get a 'B.James & Son Richard Walker MK1V' rod transfer to replace the old one that is half missing?

Is there a good rod builder out there who could do a professional restoration job on it - including a replacement transfer to bring it back to it's old 'as new' state?. and if so do you know how much this would cost me roughly?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Keith,

I've had both a MkIV Avon and MKIV Carp refurbished in the past.

A full refurbishment is around £300 to include all the intermediate whippings too. It is cheaper to just have the handle, rod rings and ferrules sorted out. Personally I prfer the full 'monty' on my refurbishments.
My old rod builder has retired now, so cannot offer any experienced-based solutions - sorry.

Best of luck though a a fully refurbished MKIV is a joy to fish with; just don't listen to the apes from the carboniferous period LOL

PS: Paul Cook does some great work, take a look here: http://www.artofangling.net/rodrestoration.html

I've only seen his results though, never had one done by him.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to help Keith.

Paul's work is obviously of the highest standard albeit a bit pricey and he does have quite a waiting list so I'm told.

Good luck.

Last edited: