Back to fishing after a decade

Drynet50

Reaction score
Hi folks. I got into pole fishing a good few years ago but also enjoy a spot of feeder fishing on the method and similar. Never became a match man, just a couple of competitions organised with work mates now and then back in the day.
I get frustrated as a pleasure angler generally aiming to fish at weekends as I work full time in the week and struggle to find decent commercials where there isnt a match on.
Always looking to improve my skills since coming back to fishing commercials and hopefully will gain some tips from here and help others when I can.
Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Welcome to the forum, people are helpful on here, so dont be afraid to ask questions that you may think are irrelevant, We can learn something different most days we go fishing, such as feeding patterns, do we feed little and often in that swim, and if that does not work, do we change swims or try and force it to life by lashing some bait in. Both methods can work on the right day,
There are some good commercials around the west midlands which ones are you thinking of going to. ?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Hi Drynet and welcome back to fishing and the Fishing Magic. Let's hope your net doesn't stay dry too long:)

David Gane

Reaction score
I get frustrated as a pleasure angler generally aiming to fish at weekends as I work full time in the week and struggle to find decent commercials where there isnt a match on.

The best advice I can offer is to join a club local to where you live. A quick internet search should find the right candidates. Most clubs are pretty cheap to join and a quick browse of their website (almost all clubs have them these days) will give you a chance to find one with the kind of waters you are interested in. Clubs do, of course, have matches but by and large they do try to balance the needs of match and pleasure anglers and you should always be able to find somewhere to go. Now is also the right time to be joining. Most of the clubs I belong to seem to start annual membership at the beginning of May.

Paste paul

Reaction score
The best advice I can offer is to join a club local to where you live. A quick internet search should find the right candidates. Most clubs are pretty cheap to join and a quick browse of their website (almost all clubs have them these days) will give you a chance to find one with the kind of waters you are interested in. Clubs do, of course, have matches but by and large they do try to balance the needs of match and pleasure anglers and you should always be able to find somewhere to go. Now is also the right time to be joining. Most of the clubs I belong to seem to start annual membership at the beginning of May.

This is good advice.......
I joined a club basically to ensure a peg because I can only fish weekends and a lot of places are matched up.......
It had two other advantages one was I made some good mates and the other I actually learned stuff and improved....

Welcome to the forum

Drynet50

Reaction score
This is good advice.......
I joined a club basically to ensure a peg because I can only fish weekends and a lot of places are matched up.......
It had two other advantages one was I made some good mates and the other I actually learned stuff and improved....

Welcome to the forum
Yeah, people have said to me before, join a club. I've pondered that on and off over the years.
Trouble is, I know I'd only go fish with the club if the weather and venue was promising and there was opportunity , (escape from DIY and other stuff that occupies many a man's w'end)
Luckily, I'm not much into football etc.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Yeah, people have said to me before, join a club. I've pondered that on and off over the years.
Trouble is, I know I'd only go fish with the club if the weather and venue was promising and there was opportunity , (escape from DIY and other stuff that occupies many a man's w'end)
Luckily, I'm not much into football etc.

Another way of looking at it is if the club has say 10 matches booked through the summer and you can make 8 of the dates due to holidays etc........that’s only 8 times fishing through the summer.....
It sort of forces you to go !

Drynet50

Reaction score
Another way of looking at it is if the club has say 10 matches booked through the summer and you can make 8 of the dates due to holidays etc........that’s only 8 times fishing through the summer.....
It sort of forces you to go !
Never thought of it like that tbh. Is that a typical club calender then ( about 10 matches )?

Paste paul

Reaction score
Never thought of it like that tbh. Is that a typical club calender then ( about 10 matches )?

Clubs tend to have between 10 and 15 matches through the summer........ my old club only did 10 my most recent club had16...... to be honest 16 is a lot if your a family man etc so I try to make 10 of them ....... you can also pick and choose your venues a little bit ..... so basically if you don’t like a certain place or style of fishing you can drop those......
I actually dropped out of my club this year as I wanted to do some different venues and styles of fishing but I would still recommend a club to start out and see how you go.....
They are normally good value for money too !