Backleads Help

MrChubly

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some help please. Backleads for barbel fishing...

How do I attach to my tackle when barbel fishing? What are some good backleads?

I'm quite new to Bartbel fishing and see backleads get mentioned a lot but I have no idea about them. Any help is much appreciated.

Mr Chubly

Reaction score
They vary a lot mate,from flying backleads to inline leads up to 1.5ozs,I don't like them personally,though ive had problems in some swims with spooking barbel,my issue is that it is very unusual that the river bed is billiard table flat,so if I have a tight line between two leads i'm actually causing a bigger spooking problem,depending on the venue I tend to get over it to a certain extent by leaving a bow in the line between rod tip and lead,if fishing closish in you can use lighter leads which also lessen the impact of liners,as fish don't spook as much as they are always bumping into fronds of weed,twigs etc,they don't spook from that... Look on google as to how to mount your backleads,as it is better than tye written word.... Hope this helps and i'm sure you will get an alternative opinion....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have used captive backleads in times of higher water and there has been a lot of debries coming down in the flow. Captive leads are secured on the bank, very often your bank stick and clipped onto your line at the rod tip. The lead slides down the line into the water and pulls your line taught to your leger weight as it sinks. You may have to leave a little slack on casting and then tighten up slightly once all has settled
For the biggest part i've used them on still waters when fishing two rods, this helps prevent any fish your bringing in from crossing your other lines and causing problems.

The leads will/should come away from your line when you lift the rod up, although sometimes when no fish is on the line you need to give a slight strike for it to release.

davebhoy

Reaction score
On small rivers I’ve found both sorts of backlead definitely help, but attaching a captive backlead can cause too much of a disturbance if you’re attaching it at the bank edge

I use a free flying flat bomb free running on the line stopped 5 feet from the rig swivel with a ledger stop and bead. My casts are no more than a swing out with the feeder or larger lead feathered down so everything is in a line. Often I’m just laying everything down rather than casting, especially if im fishing close to the near bank.

Definitely worth trying on a small river IMO

Last edited: